Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HRE P101 Naked Silver or Brushed Clear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 01:00 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts
Default HRE P101 Naked Silver or Brushed Clear?

I have settled on my new wheels...HRE P101, but still torn between:

Brushed Clear https://www.hrewheels.com/gallery/po...-brushed-clear
or
Naked Silver https://www.hrewheels.com/gallery/po...n-naked-silver

I am thinking 20 inch wheels but may end up sticking with 19 inch in the end (I am trying to not the influenced by how badass the yellow GT2RS looks with it's giant 21 inch rear wheels and 20 inch fronts, but it is hard

HRE told me if I ever intend to track it to stick with 19 wheels...btw the HRE guys are good.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:45 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
I have settled on my new wheels...HRE P101, but still torn between:

Brushed Clear https://www.hrewheels.com/gallery/po...-brushed-clear
or
Naked Silver https://www.hrewheels.com/gallery/po...n-naked-silver

I am thinking 20 inch wheels but may end up sticking with 19 inch in the end (I am trying to not the influenced by how badass the yellow GT2RS looks with it's giant 21 inch rear wheels and 20 inch fronts, but it is hard

HRE told me if I ever intend to track it to stick with 19 wheels...btw the HRE guys are good.
Finish choice is extremely subjective and if you were to poll everyone here you'd likely get a 50-50 split. If it were me I'd go with the Brushed Clear because unlike the Naked Silver you'll have these beautiful hand brushed strokes against the aluminum of the wheel that really gives it that extra premium look.

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 09-11-2018, 06:27 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I have brushed silver - agreed with above from WB
Old 09-11-2018, 07:21 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

lol...of course I like the naked silver...regardless, thanks for the input.

Edit: after taking a 2nd look I concur, the brushed clear...again thank you for the input gentlemen.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:36 PM
HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheStrong
I have brushed silver - agreed with above from WB
I think you have Brushed Clear wheels. No such thing as Brushed Silver.

lol...of course I like the naked silver...regardless, thanks for the input.

Edit: after taking a 2nd look I concur, the brushed clear...again thank you for the input gentlemen.
Yeah I was going to come in and also say Brushed Clear if I'm honest. I like how the light reflects off the Brushed finishes better than I do the Naked Silver. Naked Silver is very muted whereas Brushed Clear shines bright in the sunlight, and that's exactly what I would want.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:17 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by HRE_Jurrian
I think you have Brushed Clear wheels. No such thing as Brushed Silver.

Yeah I was going to come in and also say Brushed Clear if I'm honest. I like how the light reflects off the Brushed finishes better than I do the Naked Silver. Naked Silver is very muted whereas Brushed Clear shines bright in the sunlight, and that's exactly what I would want.
Since I have HRE here...can you address pros and cons of 19 vs 20 inch wheels? I have only owned my 997.1 TT for 3 weeks and my car is a play toy for spirited street driving but I will certainly track her once I feel my muscles/brain are motorized to drive her in anger proficiently.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:24 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Since I have HRE here...can you address pros and cons of 19 vs 20 inch wheels? I have only owned my 997.1 TT for 3 weeks and my car is a play toy for spirited street driving but I will certainly track her once I feel my muscles/brain are motorized to drive her in anger proficiently.
Quick answer for ya:
Pros of 19's over 20's: slightly more affordable, slightly better ride, slightly more lightweight
Pros of 20's over 19's: better looks (subjective)
Old 09-12-2018, 05:49 PM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

I have to say the Brushed Clear sure look good on a red car (Whatever you do, do not go chrome!)
Old 09-12-2018, 06:00 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Stick w/ 19s and I say NakeD Silver
Old 09-12-2018, 06:16 PM
HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Aside from the obvious; 19" will allow for a taller sidewall tire, hence making it a more comfortable set to drive on, the main difference is really boiled down to personal preference. Some feel 20" is too big on this car, I've even heard some say that in 20" the car somewhat looks like it could be a Hot Wheels car, whereas 19" I don't get those responses. Personally if you ask me, if this was my car, I would run with a 19" set but if you ask 10 people on this forum what their preference is, you may get 5 guys saying 19", you may get 5 saying 20".

If this car sees a race track, that just further enforces my reasoning for going with a 19" wheel. Lighter weight with the 19", and tire options should be more available too.

Originally Posted by soundbehindyou
I have to say the Brushed Clear sure look good on a red car (Whatever you do, do not go chrome!)
Chrome is a thing of the past, we won't do a chrome wheel anymore simply because the plating process is both extremely heavy, but also over time it will create rust. Not sure how many of you guys have classic cars from the 50's and 60's but if you didn't take care of your chrome, it would rust. Because of that we polish wheels now instead, and though it may not be for everyone, there is a demand for this kind of finish. Consider this too, Polishing is just an effect that we can do on the wheel, so we can still apply a transparent clear coat with a color on there to make unique finishes like Polished iLectric Blue which you see just below that.

Polished iLectric Blue:

Sorry, went on a tangent for a minute.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:27 PM
911.Forever
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

yep, subjective. Your first correct choice was the manufacturer. I like the 20's for look and the ride when suspension is done is still great. I'm not tracking, but if you are or plan to, go with the 19's. Finish: flip a coin :-)
Old 09-12-2018, 09:53 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Also regarding chrome...it really is no longer possible to do really high quality chrome like in the best 50's/60's cars because the EPA has outlawed most of the chemicals used.

Thank you for your reply HRE. 19's it is and brushed clear...but I do like the naked silver.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:31 AM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Also regarding chrome...it really is no longer possible to do really high quality chrome like in the best 50's/60's cars because the EPA has outlawed most of the chemicals used.

Thank you for your reply HRE. 19's it is and brushed clear...but I do like the naked silver.
Give us a call today so we can set you up with the latest deal 786 249 0127 ext. 2109
Old 09-13-2018, 12:13 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

brushed silver ftw.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:14 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by HRE_Jurrian
Aside from the obvious; 19" will allow for a taller sidewall tire, hence making it a more comfortable set to drive on, the main difference is really boiled down to personal preference. Some feel 20" is too big on this car, I've even heard some say that in 20" the car somewhat looks like it could be a Hot Wheels car, whereas 19" I don't get those responses. Personally if you ask me, if this was my car, I would run with a 19" set but if you ask 10 people on this forum what their preference is, you may get 5 guys saying 19", you may get 5 saying 20".

If this car sees a race track, that just further enforces my reasoning for going with a 19" wheel. Lighter weight with the 19", and tire options should be more available too.

Chrome is a thing of the past, we won't do a chrome wheel anymore simply because the plating process is both extremely heavy, but also over time it will create rust. Not sure how many of you guys have classic cars from the 50's and 60's but if you didn't take care of your chrome, it would rust. Because of that we polish wheels now instead, and though it may not be for everyone, there is a demand for this kind of finish. Consider this too, Polishing is just an effect that we can do on the wheel, so we can still apply a transparent clear coat with a color on there to make unique finishes like Polished iLectric Blue which you see just below that.

Polished iLectric Blue:

Sorry, went on a tangent for a minute.

Some things can't be unseen, sorry, those are some loud wheels.

Quick Reply: HRE P101 Naked Silver or Brushed Clear?