Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over rev report with icarscan?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 10:19 AM
Mike Billings
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My theory on the icarscan is it can't read the ECU specific to turbo.

So it can't read overrevs for turbo.

It can read MIL readiness for turbo.

It can read the other computers and reset the airbag for turbo.

I'll bet it works better for 997 NA.

I recall it's marketed for turbo unfortunately.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:03 AM
911 Prospect
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TypeRx
Ok, received the NT520 a couple days ago but finally had an opportunity to try it out today. I also have a Durametric Enthusiast. On a positive note, the NT520 appears to provide everything the Durametric Enthusiast does in a standalone package and at a lower price. Not everyone may trust a "Chinese" interface hooking into their car's systems but it seemed to work fine overall.

In addition to reading codes, over-revs, etc., I was able to code my seat belt chimes off as well as making the passenger window one-touch up ("comfort"). I am also planning on calibrating my steering sensors in the future. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to turn off my "Service Now" warning. I also was not able to access the TPM to disable the TPMS system. In both cases, I received a "selected function is not supported" message. WTF. I may need to play with TPM a bit more as the post a few up appears to show an "edit" option next to TPM being installed -- but that definitely wasn't the case in the coding section. And, it still doesn't fix the inability to turn off the service message. I read some where having trouble with this on the 997.2 but I have a 997.1TT.

I think one of the challenges is knowing which sub-menu to access everything. In some cases, you go through the diagnosis menu and can code from there but in most cases you need to code from the coding menu. A full directory would be helpful as I spent a solid hour just going through every function. I wish I documented things.

Bottom line, for $160 it is a great value, but still not perfect (not to be expected anyways). I also like that you can add on another mfg. module on to the unit for $70. I also have a VCDS (Audi/VW) interface that is glitchy and requires a separate computer/emulator. It would be nice to consolidate everything, so that is something I'll look at doing in the future.

If anyone has any feedback or tips, please share away!
My experience with my newly acquired NT520 has been nothing short of horrific. It arrived safe and sound, but it does not have the Porsche specific software loaded as confirmed by my order. I have emailed customer service a number of times and their very broken English is a problem in trying to communicate. They told me it comes with the software requested- yeah, I know it SHOULD, but it didn't. Then they told me to go to download and pick Porsche specific download but that is not an option as the website gives an error message- tried IE, Chrome and Firefox. All of these encounters take at least a day given their tech support must be based in China so that adds a layer of complication there as well. I wanted this to work, but all it will do is tell me general items and offers zero Porsche specific info which is obviously why I bought it. I have requested to return the item so I will see what they say- some time tomorrow I'm guessing. Very frustrated but it seems my expereince is isolated as most all other purchasers have been pleased. I just wanted to pass along my experience, but hoping all of you experience the opposite.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:11 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry to hear, I'm sure they'll work it out. I have the older 510, works perfectly.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:42 PM
TTG
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 84 Posts

I am so getting (edit "got") one of these. Hopefully, it will be able to identify why I am getting the double honk when I try to lock my doors.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:41 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Prospect
My experience with my newly acquired NT520 has been nothing short of horrific. It arrived safe and sound, but it does not have the Porsche specific software loaded as confirmed by my order. I have emailed customer service a number of times and their very broken English is a problem in trying to communicate. They told me it comes with the software requested- yeah, I know it SHOULD, but it didn't. Then they told me to go to download and pick Porsche specific download but that is not an option as the website gives an error message- tried IE, Chrome and Firefox. All of these encounters take at least a day given their tech support must be based in China so that adds a layer of complication there as well. I wanted this to work, but all it will do is tell me general items and offers zero Porsche specific info which is obviously why I bought it. I have requested to return the item so I will see what they say- some time tomorrow I'm guessing. Very frustrated but it seems my expereince is isolated as most all other purchasers have been pleased. I just wanted to pass along my experience, but hoping all of you experience the opposite.
Ewww...that sucks. I ordered it from an Ebay seller and it came loaded with the Porsche software. I know that if it comes "blank" you have to update it at their website, but sorry to hear their support is lackluster.

Their website is not good...like I stated above it isn't even secure. For that reason I haven't registered it. I bet that if you knew someone with the Porsche program in your area, you could pop their microSD card in your unit and it would work. Maybe even a simple copy of it on your microSD would work....
Old 09-13-2018, 03:47 PM
911 Prospect
Instructor

Originally Posted by TypeRx
Ewww...that sucks. I ordered it from an Ebay seller and it came loaded with the Porsche software. I know that if it comes "blank" you have to update it at their website, but sorry to hear their support is lackluster.

Their website is not good...like I stated above it isn't even secure. For that reason I haven't registered it. I bet that if you knew someone with the Porsche program in your area, you could pop their microSD card in your unit and it would work. Maybe even a simple copy of it on your microSD would work....
I already registered my product and perhaps I should not have. Good idea about trying to copy on a new card. I might try that, but I also might just return it because it is becoming a major hassle- although I bet they will not authorize a return of simply make it impossible in which case I will go "Office Space" on it and destroy it with a bat and enjoy the Zen moments that follow.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:59 PM
Kayaknfly
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Billings

won’t read over revs on my cayman either or a cayenne(if that has an over rev possibility at all). Must not be coded for it.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:24 PM
AreaOne
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

http://foxwelltool.com/service/how-t...t510-5104.html

http://www.foxwelltool.com/upload/pr...e_en-v1.00.pdf

its the same procedure for the Nt-520, but I left my card in the device and left it plugged into the USB port and the program will detect the sd card in the device then you should be able to install the Porsche program.

Last edited by AreaOne; 09-13-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:30 PM
911 Prospect
Instructor

Originally Posted by AreaOne

http://foxwelltool.com/service/how-t...t510-5104.html

http://www.foxwelltool.com/upload/pr...e_en-v1.00.pdf

its the same procedure for the Nt-520, but I left my card in the device and left it plugged into the USB port and the program will detect the sd card in the device then you should be able to install the Porsche program.

Thanks for the info! Not sure why tech support couldn't have offered that sooner...
Anyway, what does the "Total Distance" in the Foxwell scanner represent? While it would seem like it would reflect the mileage on the car I am really hoping that is not the case as I am seeing a discrepancy between odometer and "Total Distance" shown. Is anyone able to provide clarification? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:35 AM
atm4jim
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

There's a software update dated 9/4/18 V8.23 (mine came with 8.22 received last week), description says fixes oil reset problem on Boxster 987. I just did the update and tried the oil reset again on my 997.1 turbo, but it still says Function not supported. I guess we will have to wait to the next update(s).
Old 09-14-2018, 06:37 AM
AreaOne
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Forgot to add... when you are ready to install the Porsche software (or to update the scanner software) plug the device into the USB port then press update on the device screen so the Foxwell program could recognize the scanner and find the sd card.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:43 PM
TTG
Rennlist Member

What does your "theory" exactly mean? Do you own one or have you tried it yourself?

There are Turbo owners in this thread reporting that they can read the over-rev reports.

Mine will hopefully get here soon and I will provide feedback.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:48 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 365 Posts

THis may be worth it to me just for the seat-belt chime disable..
Old 09-14-2018, 01:01 PM
Mike Billings
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TTG
What does your "theory" exactly mean? Do you own one or have you tried it yourself?

There are Turbo owners in this thread reporting that they can read the over-rev reports.

Mine will hopefully get here soon and I will provide feedback.
I just re-read all of the posts and I believe they are saying the Foxwell can read over-revs and icarscan cannot. The NT510 or 520 is foxwell.

So I agree.

I posted the results of my actual tests.

When I say "my theory", that sentence contains a guess, based on the actual results, which are in the same post.

Forgot to add that the icarscan for me doesn't access any ECU live data for my 997 turbo.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:27 PM
TTG
Rennlist Member

I just re-read all of the posts and I believe they are saying the Foxwell can read over-revs and icarscan cannot. The NT510 or 520 is foxwell.

So I agree.

I posted the results of my actual tests.

When I say "my theory", that sentence contains a guess, based on the actual results, which are in the same post.

Forgot to add that the icarscan for me doesn't access any ECU live data for my 997 turbo.
Copy, I thought you were referring to Foxwell. Thanks for clarification.

Quick Reply: Over rev report with icarscan?