Sponsored by:

Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 10:04 AM
KarmanGT
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Replacement

Is it possible to replace the windshield with factory 997.2 Porsche windshield with the antenna wire?...Any experiences good/bad?
I have 2 small stone chips and deciding if I should do it...
Thanks.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:22 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 200 Likes on 133 Posts

I'd stay away from windshield replacing for as long as possible. Some will argue that it'll devalue your car a bit, but from my experience the real issues is it'll never be or look OEM like. If your install is not on point you'll run into the water sitting/pooling and even freezing around the edges and leading to A-pillar or roof line rust/rot. I've learnt my lesson over the years with my Honda and going forward will repair, wetsand, polish before pulling the trigger on replacing windshield on any car.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:48 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 937 Likes on 566 Posts

I had mine replaced at the dealer in the first 10K miles. Rock damage.

First install was bad, second was perfect. Needs a qualified guy, not a mobile replacement guy.

Like ruskiy said, if not in line of sight, put it off. Not cheap, either. About $1100, but that was 10 years ago.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:19 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 98 Posts

Cracked my windshield on my 5th day of ownership. It's a way of life in Colorado. My dealer subcontracts it out anyway so I went with Safelite. They gave me a couple of options and the antenna wire wasn't an issue. No leaks or wind noise so I'll call it a win.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:52 PM
Sobrut911
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

I had to have mine replaced on a 2011TTS. It took installer 3 tries to get it right. I asked my local P dealer who they recommended and I took their advice and regretted it. It turned out the installer had done a lot of Porsche’s but no 997.2tts. He damaged the leather on the B pillars when he pried the seatbelt piece off of the B pillar which had to be removed.The glass company paid for new B pillars. I had them install OEM factory windshield which was not fully covered by my insurance. Normally there is a zero deductible on glass damage. It cost me $400 to go with OEM. I had them put in a new gasket. In the end it came out great. No leaks. Make sure the installer has experience with your year and model. Ironically, within 2 months of replacing it, I got hit by a rock which put a ding the size of a pea two inches from top of windshield. I brought it to JN Phillips and they repaired the crack in 30 minutes and now I barely notice it.

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement