Sponsored by:

Rev Range Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 12:32 AM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
I've come across a few with maxxed range 1s (they ran fine, incidentally). They did all have tunes. It's just a matter of driving it up around redline a decent amount. Like thxbuff said, if it passes a good PPI then you should be fine. On the other hand, if you'll drive yourself crazy worrying about it, then look for a different car.
I think I will need to keep looking...unfortunate.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:00 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 86 Posts

So the range 1 is maxed, that’s 3 min 11 seconds on the limiter. The dme can’t record more than that so could be more.

As as a new owner of one of these and coming from a N/A Porsche I can tell you they hit the limiter very easy. I am just getting used to it now, just the muffled sound of the turbo and the violent acceleration brings you to the limiter unexpectedly. In saying that when I do hit the limiter it is just a split second. Would take a lot to get it that high. Or holding it to the floor with the clutch in.

The new cars with PDK must max out level 1s very early if the launch control is used, as the car is bouncing off the limiter until the brake is released.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:15 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by repcapale

I think I will need to keep looking...unfortunate.
Just be glad you have a DME readout. If this were any other car without the report, you would gotten a PPI, bought it and driven it happily ever after. Whew!
Old 08-25-2018, 03:56 PM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Just be glad you have a DME readout. If this were any other car without the report, you would gotten a PPI, bought it and driven it happily ever after. Whew!
Its true. Maybe knowing less is better...

It has had two owners. The current owner purchased it with 13000 miles in 2008. So he has driven 7000 miles in 9 years. Making me wonder what this car was used for in the first year? Some type of Porsche press car??
Old 08-26-2018, 08:36 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

I have worked on my own car. Changed spark plugs etc. performing a leak down test on this vehicle I would imagine the labor would be mind boggling. Multiple stages of removal of components just to do a check of that type would take probably a few days. Why would someone allow anybody to disassemble a car not even purchased to me makes no sense. If it’s that intrusive forget it. Just doing simple checks like inspection with a PIWIS or Durametric tool would suffice. Evaluate the real time data. These engines are quite robust. The Achilles' heel is the cooling system. Have your PPI guy pressurize the cooling system and check for operation of the two pressure release points. Forget that rev range crap. They all have over revs. Check the obvious stuff.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:13 AM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the replies.

After the PPI, the dealership offered to buy the car from the current owner, granted it "passes" some of their tests. LOL.

They offered him some ridiculous high number given everything checks out. I doubt the final offer will be anything near what they told him originally.

This has something to do with him making an offer on a brand new Turbo from the showroom....

Old 08-27-2018, 01:40 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Just as a data point I scanned my 2008 with 60,000 kms. 1250 level 1 and 330 level 2. Level 3, 4, 5, and 6 were all at 1. I just got the car and probably hit the limiter a dozen times already as I am adapting from a N/A Porsche. Didn’t add that much to the total, when I got it was 1100 and something. I get off the throttle immediately when it hits. Would take a lot to get to 65,000 plus.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:20 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
Just as a data point I scanned my 2008 with 60,000 kms. 1250 level 1 and 330 level 2. Level 3, 4, 5, and 6 were all at 1. I just got the car and probably hit the limiter a dozen times already as I am adapting from a N/A Porsche. Didn’t add that much to the total, when I got it was 1100 and something. I get off the throttle immediately when it hits. Would take a lot to get to 65,000 plus.
That's why the car probably has a tune that's raised the rev limiter into range 1 or 2, because just hitting the limiter at that point is adding quite a few revs each time. There's no two ways about it, though, maxxing out range 1 means it's been driven as Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche intended.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:07 PM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
Those are great numbers.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:10 PM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

That's why the car probably has a tune that's raised the rev limiter into range 1 or 2, because just hitting the limiter at that point is adding quite a few revs each time. There's no two ways about it, though, maxxing out range 1 means it's been driven as Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche intended.
I highly doubt it is tuned - It was purchased CPO with 13 500 miles. The current owner does not seem like the type that would tune his car.

The range 5 ignitions happened before he purchased it, by my best calculations.

Like I mentioned, this must have been some sort of Porsche demo car, or press car?? Or the original owner tracked it hard...

Old 08-27-2018, 10:06 PM
TBarrow
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I have friends that lease cars and flip out at a little over a year and they drive it daily to work. He has done this with Porsche's and is now on to Mclarens
Old 08-28-2018, 09:20 AM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What does the "Programming Operations" read-out of the DME show? That should tell you whether or not the car has had a tune in the past, although even that can be "fudged". That said, over-revs <4 mean nothing, and over revs >3 mean nothing if they happened more than 50 or so hours (some say 10) before the current Operating Hours Counter and the car runs well.

Dan
Old 08-28-2018, 10:29 AM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 100 Posts

Try to find even a single example anywhere online where someone bought a 997.1 Turbo with over revs in the DME report, and then subsequently had a catastrophic engine failure attributed to the previous over revs. I do not believe one exists.

I suspect that in 99.9% of cases, if an over rev is going to cause damage it will be right then and there when the money shift happens. Not some issue that manifests itself a year / dozens or hundreds of hours later.

To the OP, the car either has a tune or was tuned in the past hence the maxed out range 1 - virtually guaranteed. Nothing to worry about at all either, if the rest of the PPI process checks out. If you're ultra paranoid, spend a few hundred bucks and have the PPI shop perform a compression test.

FWIW, and completely unrelated to the 997.1TT and Mezger motor, my 987 track car has over revs up into the 5's. It has over 50k miles on it, mostly track miles. Some over revs as recent as 20 hours ago. I had a compression check & leakdown performed - all 6 cylinders held 240 to 245psi, all within 5psi of one another. Over revs are over rated!
Old 08-29-2018, 08:05 PM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

So during the inspection, they never performed a leak down, but had the cylinders scoped. These are the photos they sent me?

No experience in this? Thoughts?
Old 08-29-2018, 08:49 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Looks fine to me. No scoring

Quick Reply: Rev Range Help