Sponsored by:

Another satisfied TPC DSC customer

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 04:37 PM
pterwilliger
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Another satisfied TPC DSC customer

After reading so many positive reports from those that have upgraded to TPC’s DSC module, I upgraded my PASM box to the DSC controller several months ago. What an amazing difference – gone is the brittle, bone jarring ride that I used to have, along with the feeling of the front end getting a bit “floaty” at speed. There is now no float, no dive, no squat, and the formerly harsh ride is now amazingly compliant. The car now feels so planted – this has to be the single most cost-effective upgrade that one can do to the car’s suspension. A nice side benefit to the controller is that the on/off switching of the firm mode is now independent of the on/off switching of the sport mode; originally the sport mode button also switched on the firm mode. My suspension now consists of the OEM shocks, Eibach springs and sways, and the DSC controller; I’m extremely happy with how the car is set up – both for the street and the occasional track day.

I have the benefit of living not that far from TPC’s shop in Jessup MD, so it’s only 45 minutes from my home. If you live anywhere close to there, it’s worth a trip there just to see the shop and to talk to Tom, Harris, or Mike. I initially went there looking to talk to Tom because I had seen his name mentioned so much in the DSC forum posts; he was out of the shop at the time, so I ended up talking with Harris Levitas, son of owner Mike Levitas. Harris was extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the DSC and all things Porsche. I ended up purchasing the DSC while there and it was installed in the parking lot in less than 5 minutes. I noticed the improvements immediately on the ride home, especially on the rough expansion joints on I-95 south; so much smoother than the ride up. I returned a week later to TPC for a proper wheel alignment and a change of all fluids prior to taking the car to Dominion Raceway the next weekend for my first DE with the car. While there this time, I spent some time talking with Mike Levitas. Mike is the engineering brain at TPC behind the DSC and their other products and is well known in the Porsche community and GT3 Cup racing circles. While the car was still on the lift, Mike directed some helpful adjustments to the settings of the Eibach sways and end links. The car performed extremely well for me on the track and the suspension felt perfectly dialed in, whether in the normal mode or firm mode.

So, if you’re on the fence about whether to go for the DSC controller, I say just do it!
Old 08-10-2018, 04:49 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by pterwilliger
After reading so many positive reports from those that have upgraded to TPC’s DSC module, I upgraded my PASM box to the DSC controller several months ago. What an amazing difference – gone is the brittle, bone jarring ride that I used to have, along with the feeling of the front end getting a bit “floaty” at speed. There is now no float, no dive, no squat, and the formerly harsh ride is now amazingly compliant. The car now feels so planted – this has to be the single most cost-effective upgrade that one can do to the car’s suspension. A nice side benefit to the controller is that the on/off switching of the firm mode is now independent of the on/off switching of the sport mode; originally the sport mode button also switched on the firm mode. My suspension now consists of the OEM shocks, Eibach springs and sways, and the DSC controller; I’m extremely happy with how the car is set up – both for the street and the occasional track day.

I have the benefit of living not that far from TPC’s shop in Jessup MD, so it’s only 45 minutes from my home. If you live anywhere close to there, it’s worth a trip there just to see the shop and to talk to Tom, Harris, or Mike. I initially went there looking to talk to Tom because I had seen his name mentioned so much in the DSC forum posts; he was out of the shop at the time, so I ended up talking with Harris Levitas, son of owner Mike Levitas. Harris was extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the DSC and all things Porsche. I ended up purchasing the DSC while there and it was installed in the parking lot in less than 5 minutes. I noticed the improvements immediately on the ride home, especially on the rough expansion joints on I-95 south; so much smoother than the ride up. I returned a week later to TPC for a proper wheel alignment and a change of all fluids prior to taking the car to Dominion Raceway the next weekend for my first DE with the car. While there this time, I spent some time talking with Mike Levitas. Mike is the engineering brain at TPC behind the DSC and their other products and is well known in the Porsche community and GT3 Cup racing circles. While the car was still on the lift, Mike directed some helpful adjustments to the settings of the Eibach sways and end links. The car performed extremely well for me on the track and the suspension felt perfectly dialed in, whether in the normal mode or firm mode.

So, if you’re on the fence about whether to go for the DSC controller, I say just do it!
Is it easy to install ? I would like to put them on what car I would use only. It would be nice if its an easy plug and play.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:03 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Its pretty easy. PASM box is behind carpet in passenger foot-well. Its really pop in pop out.

(I had a problem b/c I (somehow) pulled out the mounting bracket. Dont' do that! Tom (@TPC) then posted a video and emailed pics on how to get it back together. And I did.)

Agree w/ OP's assessment 100%. I have B8s; GMG; GT2 rear sway; RS motor mounts. DSC controlling it all - haven't driven the car since B8s were installed. Hoping to go for along ride tomorrow.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:13 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by JG 996T
Its pretty easy. PASM box is behind carpet in passenger foot-well. Its really pop in pop out.

(I had a problem b/c I (somehow) pulled out the mounting bracket. Dont' do that! Tom (@TPC) then posted a video and emailed pics on how to get it back together. And I did.)

Agree w/ OP's assessment 100%. I have B8s; GMG; GT2 rear sway; RS motor mounts. DSC controlling it all - haven't driven the car since B8s were installed. Hoping to go for along ride tomorrow.
Well, if its an easy in and out install, then I am in. I would have to ask them if the TPC box is thesame on a 997.1 TT and a 997.2 TTS.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:16 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

I just talked to Tom and ordered my DSC on Wed. It'll be here tmrw night through FedEx. I Can't wait!

I have completely stock suspension, but have read it totally transforms the car. Right now I see Zero need for springs or any other suspension components, as it handles awesomely in the mountains (and I don't leave much on the table in my opinion.) It would take a track day and someone more knowledgeable about 997TTS handling to tell me what I'd need more.

I'm sure the track alignment helps big time for the track vs. my street alignment, but I see no need in that right now either (other than possibly saving the outside edge of my tires during mountain carving).

Anyway, thanks for the thread on it. It re-confirms my choice to purchase.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:17 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
Well, if its an easy in and out install, then I am in. I would have to ask them if the TPC box is thesame on a 997.1 TT and a 997.2 TTS.

It is..Tom confirmed this on the phone with me Wednesday!
Old 08-10-2018, 05:22 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by Big Swole
It is..Tom confirmed this on the phone with me Wednesday!
If everything that people have said about this TPC is mostly true, then this would be a well spent mod for me. 1 box for 2 cars. My TT is garaged different from my TTS so I can just bring the box where ever I am.

I wonder if I can use thesame box on my GTS. I would need to contact them. Thanks
Old 08-10-2018, 05:29 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

I thought non-turbo cars needed something else - not plug and play.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:32 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
If everything that people have said about this TPC is mostly true, then this would be a well spent mod for me. 1 box for 2 cars. My TT is garaged different from my TTS so I can just bring the box where ever I am.

I wonder if I can use thesame box on my GTS. I would need to contact them. Thanks
Most do say it's SO worth the money. Easy to install and remove (To sell if you ever sold the car(s)) and get most of your money back.

Yes, your TT and TTS will take the same box so just pull it and move to the other car when you need.

Not sure on the GTS, but if it is, that'd be awesome to switch between them.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:07 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Takes about 30 seconds to swap it out, definitely suitable for multiple 997 TT cars.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:33 PM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 80 Posts

It is soooo worth it, surely you guys will be happy. I just had my car out on some local roads that previously almost scared me to death on the stock setup, but now are just mildly terrifying...
Old 08-11-2018, 05:30 PM
Dodaleca
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by JG 996T
I thought non-turbo cars needed something else - not plug and play.
i think 997.1 non-turbos need to buy and wire in the accessory accelerometer to provide vehicle dynamics info to the DSC module. Assuming that to be true then the DSC box would need some way of getting this information in so not sure if it has another connection on it compared to the 997TT module.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:32 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Well worth it.
All modern awd Porsches have a built in accelerometer, the rwd cars do not. If you have a 2wd gts you’ll need the accelerometer as well.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:50 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Just installed mine today...Only got to go around the block for 2 mins. Seems a bit softer and more compliant right off the bat.

More to come tmrw. when I get to go for a drive.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:27 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

I received mine today and decided to do a crude little install video. Hope this helps for those not sure about it. It was really easy.
I'll know more about how I like it tmrw. I didn't get a chance to drive more than around the block today.

The following users liked this post:
Hueneme997 (08-03-2019)

Quick Reply: Another satisfied TPC DSC customer