Sponsored by:

PCM upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 10:30 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default PCM upgrades

Long time no speak gang, hope all is well. I’m interested in upgrading my PCM. There’s a catch, however... I want it to look stock. Can a 997.1 PCM be upgraded internally to have additional functions or a touch screen? If not, can the 997.2 be retrofit?

I know, there are lots of aftermarket options, I’m just not keen on aftermarket looks. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2018, 11:26 PM
cakM3
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

There's a lot of information in this thread from 6 speedonline regarding PCM 3.0 retrofit on 997.1tt

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...sion-done.html

It's a lot of work to get everything installed and working properly. This has been done by a few people and this is something I would love to do to my 997.1 as well...
Old 05-15-2018, 02:29 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 784 Posts

I added a MObridge system to my OE PCM 2.1 in my 997.1 turbo. It looked perfectly stock, with the only exception being a small mic mounted on the windshield up by the rear view mirror. This added Bluetooth streaming audio, as well as Bluetooth telephone connectivity. I was able to use the OE phonebook to make calls, and incoming caller ID showed up on the PCM screen. Calls were answered using the OE phone buttons on the PCM unit. It didn’t have a satellite radio connection, but I was able to stream Sirius XM through the Bluetooth connection using the Sirius XM app.

That’s the closest that I have found to an upgrade that retains the OE look, and doesn’t add additional controllers or buttons to the cockpit.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:04 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I added a MObridge system to my OE PCM 2.1 in my 997.1 turbo. It looked perfectly stock, with the only exception being a small mic mounted on the windshield up by the rear view mirror. This added Bluetooth streaming audio, as well as Bluetooth telephone connectivity. I was able to use the OE phonebook to make calls, and incoming caller ID showed up on the PCM screen. Calls were answered using the OE phone buttons on the PCM unit. It didn’t have a satellite radio connection, but I was able to stream Sirius XM through the Bluetooth connection using the Sirius XM app.

That’s the closest that I have found to an upgrade that retains the OE look, and doesn’t add additional controllers or buttons to the cockpit.
hey Dennis, my experience with the different integration devices haven’t been great. They’re buggy and don’t seem to work all that well that I’ve seen, which is making me think of alternatives.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:08 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott

hey Dennis, my experience with the different integration devices haven’t been great. They’re buggy and don’t seem to work all that well that I’ve seen, which is making me think of alternatives.
Ive used Mobridge and Parrot. Parrot is better in my experience.

There is not other alternative which looks stock.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:41 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't say that MObridge is perfect, by any means. That said, it worked flawlessly for me over 95% of the time. When there was an occasional glitch, it was resolved by turning the ignition off and on again.

I had similar goals to yours; I wanted my system to look as close as possible to an OE system. I didn't really care about a modern nav update as I hardly used the OE nav and it worked fine when I did.

As mentioned above, you could install a newer PCM 3.0 from a 997.2 car. It's an expensive process and it requires lots of work. PCM 3.0 is outdated too, so I'm not sure you'd gain much.

I think that other than a system like MObridge or Denison, your best bet is a complete replacement with a modern head unit.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:43 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I don't know if these systems are good or not, but I'll throw this out there too:

http://www.dynavin.com/products/n7_ps_s.php

Here it is in a Cayman:

Old 05-16-2018, 04:21 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Interesting. Had a look at the video - the plus is that it actually looks OK for an AM product. The major downside is that the interface looks ugly and slow to respond to input. Personally I'd rather a slightly buggy Bluetooth add on to the PCM than an AM unit that has a ton of features I'll never use.

I have a Dension, have a USB cable running under the door seal up the A pillar and a NKMOS Ultima phone pad at the top of the windscreen. The Dension does what I need 95% of the time, and when it doesn't I unplug and replug the USB cable which takes all of two seconds.

Quick Reply: PCM upgrades