Sponsored by:

Y-pipe to throttle body rubber sleeve - something to check

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 09:42 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Y-pipe to throttle body rubber sleeve - something to check

This is for anyone that's experienced their rubber sleeve popping off the y-pipe or throttle body under boost - very common issue on cars both stock or tuned. Item 7 in the diagram below. I had it happen quite a few times on the y-pipe side. Kevin from UMW gave me some advice on how to really get it seated on there hopefully for good, and so far so good - no more issues even running at higher boost with his tune.

So, I installed GT2RS intercoolers last weekend and today I took my car to one of my local tuners to get boost leak tested before the track this weekend, to ensure my handy work was nice and tight. Quite unexpectedly we found this:

The hose has ruptures all the way around it, underneath the first metal retainer ring that keeps the sleeve from expanding under boost. Kevin believes it may have been damaged as a result of the sleeve coming off the y-pipe under boost which of course would have inflicted some forces on the rubber sleeve. Luckily my local Porsche parts desk has one coming in for me tomorrow so I can replace before Saturday / Sunday track weekend.

Anyways, just a heads up for people to check for this, if they've had this pain in the *** sleeve pop off before. It may have damaged the sleeve and now you have a boost leak. It's bad enough it showed up in the logs I sent Kevin the day before.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:43 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 365 Posts

Thanks for the info, def have never seen that before. What pressure did they run it to for their check? I usually go to only about 18 and I'm nervous the whole time as the aluminum stoppers that I put in my hoses to block them off would be a nasty bullet if they were to come loose at that pressure..

Intersting that theres a different part number for the 07 and the 08-09s..
Old 05-03-2018, 10:55 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by saabin
Thanks for the info, def have never seen that before. What pressure did they run it to for their check? I usually go to only about 18 and I'm nervous the whole time as the aluminum stoppers that I put in my hoses to block them off would be a nasty bullet if they were to come loose at that pressure..

Intersting that theres a different part number for the 07 and the 08-09s..
That has been superseded two more times already since that electronic manual was published. The sleeve on my car ends in -74.

We pressurized the entire system to 21psi. I work in the compressed air and gas field, 20psi is like ambient pressure to me haha. But yes, the metal plug they clamp into the end would hurt if it hit you in the head with 20 psi behind it
Old 05-03-2018, 11:53 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 365 Posts

LOL. One time I didnt get the clamp tight enough on the plug and it popped at about 15psi.. The sound of that thing hitting the concrete was enough to give me pause
Old 05-04-2018, 02:15 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

What was the advice to really get it seated?
Old 05-05-2018, 08:40 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
What was the advice to really get it seated?
Remove the y-pipe and the rubber sleeve from the car completely. Thoroughly clean the inside of the sleeve and the lip of the y pipe with dish soap and a tooth brush. Then clean the inside of the sleeve and the y-pipe lip with alcohol. Then spray a thin layer of hair spray onto the inside lip of the sleeve and fit it onto the y-pipe. Ensure the clamp is perfectly seated all the way around and tighten down (this part is hardest for me as the difference between tight and stripped is about 0.0001 inch pounds so it seems...).

Then clean the throttle body lip with alcohol. Hairspray inside of sleeve lip, fit to throttle body. Use inspection mirror to ensure sleeve is seated properly at the bottom which you wouldnt be able to tell otherwise.

Clean y-pipe intercooler charge pipe lips with alcohol. Add hair spray. Fit, tighten, check with inspection mirror.

I did all of that. 24 hours later I took it in for the boost leak and we found the leaks per the video. It took me over 30mins to get y-pipe out of the car due to how well everything was sealed up
Old 08-10-2018, 10:19 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by cstyles
Remove the y-pipe and the rubber sleeve from the car completely. Thoroughly clean the inside of the sleeve and the lip of the y pipe with dish soap and a tooth brush. Then clean the inside of the sleeve and the y-pipe lip with alcohol. Then spray a thin layer of hair spray onto the inside lip of the sleeve and fit it onto the y-pipe. Ensure the clamp is perfectly seated all the way around and tighten down (this part is hardest for me as the difference between tight and stripped is about 0.0001 inch pounds so it seems...).

Then clean the throttle body lip with alcohol. Hairspray inside of sleeve lip, fit to throttle body. Use inspection mirror to ensure sleeve is seated properly at the bottom which you wouldnt be able to tell otherwise.

Clean y-pipe intercooler charge pipe lips with alcohol. Add hair spray. Fit, tighten, check with inspection mirror.

I did all of that. 24 hours later I took it in for the boost leak and we found the leaks per the video. It took me over 30mins to get y-pipe out of the car due to how well everything was sealed up
What did you see in the logs? Timing pulling? Lag on the requested and actual boost?
Old 08-10-2018, 11:24 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

Flex seal! “It’s like a handyman in a can”.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:46 AM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

to add to this thread remove the worm clamps and use t clamps instead. wider and they dont pinch at the connection like worm clamps do. i test my setup to 40 psi with no leaks. also drape a towel over the connection so that if it was to pop off it gets caught in the towel and doesnt fly into the decklid or your face
Old 08-14-2018, 09:04 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
to add to this thread remove the worm clamps and use t clamps instead. wider and they dont pinch at the connection like worm clamps do. i test my setup to 40 psi with no leaks. also drape a towel over the connection so that if it was to pop off it gets caught in the towel and doesnt fly into the decklid or your face
Where did you get the T clamps and what size?

Quick Reply: Y-pipe to throttle body rubber sleeve - something to check