Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Damage repair suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 03:43 AM
RajuPatel
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

SORRY THAT IT HAPPENED. I do not know much about the US, but here in India, this work would be done and over with in 3 days with the car looking as if nothing happened. You can have the door and rear quarter panel replaced. Or you can take it to a good body shop and get it fixed and painted. These (skin) are non structural parts. I would personally not remove the original skin for such a small work.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:57 PM
Sam Zamir
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fosbibr
Hello all
I don't want to get into the details of the how this occurred as some things are still being determined. Need thoughts on how this should be repaired (primarily focusing on the rear quarter panel damage) and then the bigger question - what the potential value impact of having this on a carfax of similar.
Thanks in advance....
First of, a moment of silence.

So sorry for your loss.

Now... is the QP repairABLE? yes. But a replacement would yield a cleaner repair, assuming it's done right. As for your Carfax concern, it would depend on so many things. Carfax collects data from some 30K info sources, mostly public info sources, police reports, dealerships and insurance companies. No body shops I know of, and none of the 3 major body shop estimating companies (again, that I know of) report to carfax. So if you're not going thru insurance, and opt to pay yourself, consider speaking with the body shop about how to go about doing the repairs and getting a paint gauge to read the same as the unpainted panels. To make things more difficult - Edmunds also started doing what Carfax does, so who knows what their sources are.

Originally Posted by svb
Send the car to Collision Consultants in Los Angeles www.collisionbodyshop.com and ask for Sam Zamir. The absolute best Porsche collision shop I have ever seen. Even vintage 911s get hit and their work is impeccable. Get it fixed right with precision work and the right paint and value impact will be negligible.
I'm blushing. Thank you so much for the shout out!!

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
Agree
Whats done is done.
Do the right thing and have someone fix it right.
You wont know it happened in 2 weeks.
Dont fret. Things like these happen.
Good advice, no sense stressing over it. The DV aspect is real, but I've never seen anyone produce a DV claims settlement in california. So I'm not the one to talk to about that. But in regards to repairs, Rennlisters know - you can always call on me (from anywhere in the world) for repair questions.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:17 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,967 Likes on 2,045 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Zamir
First of, a moment of silence.

So sorry for your loss.

Now... is the QP repairABLE? yes. But a replacement would yield a cleaner repair, assuming it's done right. As for your Carfax concern, it would depend on so many things. Carfax collects data from some 30K info sources, mostly public info sources, police reports, dealerships and insurance companies. No body shops I know of, and none of the 3 major body shop estimating companies (again, that I know of) report to carfax. So if you're not going thru insurance, and opt to pay yourself, consider speaking with the body shop about how to go about doing the repairs and getting a paint gauge to read the same as the unpainted panels. To make things more difficult - Edmunds also started doing what Carfax does, so who knows what their sources are.

I'm blushing. Thank you so much for the shout out!!

Good advice, no sense stressing over it. The DV aspect is real, but I've never seen anyone produce a DV claims settlement in california. So I'm not the one to talk to about that. But in regards to repairs, Rennlisters know - you can always call on me (from anywhere in the world) for repair questions.
So you can get the repainted panel to match the same thickness as the rest of the car. So essentially even with a paint depth gauge I could end up buying a car that has been resprayed and I wouldnt know? Interesting.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:24 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,967 Likes on 2,045 Posts

Originally Posted by loonwin
Ouch -- sorry that happened. As someone who was recently shopping for a 997TT, I'll throw in my two cents on the value impact. Take this with a grain of salt as this is only one man's opinion.

There are two types of shoppers -- (1) those who are looking to drive it around for a few years but eventually re-sell the car to upgrade to a different one, (2) those who consider this their dream car and will want to keep it forever. The first group won't even look at a car that has a marred Carfax, no matter the discount. I personally passed up on a couple of cars that were discounted by $10-15k the average market value. The second group will be far more willing to overlook an accident, but they'll of course be looking for a deal. The extent of the damage affects how much it will kill your value -- obviously only panel/paint damage will be different than frame/axle damage. In summary, I think it'll cost you in the ballpark of $10k depreciation, and will probably take longer to sell too. Again, really sorry that happened to you
Then I think paintwork only is another level. So lets say, for easy numbers, on a $100k car, an accident with more extensive damage (on the Carfax) is going to sell for $20k less, a car with a just a front or rear end collision (on the Carfax) that involved just a bumper being replaced is going to be $10k lower and then a car with no accident history but a key scratch or repaint for rock chips could be $1-3k lower. Those are just guesses, but a guide based on what I have seen in the market.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:35 AM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm still in the stages of getting repair approaches / estimates done locally (one through a recommended Porsche Collision). The 1st didn't (non PACC) didn't really feel right - maybe because they were more concerned with appeasing their "customer" (the insurance company) or maybe just my 1st impression? The 2nd seemed better (PACC) and more comprehensive.

Both thought that the QP would "pop" back out without any real problems. If it didn't, the 1st's approach was just to cut and weld the spot vs the 2nd's view of replacing the QP as the correct approach.

Once this is all done, I'll post the video / photo's of the incident......... kind of boring really.... But all our cars are getting dash cams to help protect us in the future.

Quick Reply: Body Damage repair suggestions