Body Damage repair suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 12:07 PM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Body Damage repair suggestions

Hello all

I don't want to get into the details of the how this occurred as some things are still being determined. Need thoughts on how this should be repaired (primarily focusing on the rear quarter panel damage) and then the bigger question - what the potential value impact of having this on a carfax of similar.

Thanks in advance....

Name:  wqMmD6a.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  1.51 MB

Name:  S0l0NGa.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  2.39 MB

Name:  lgyUcmb.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  1.95 MB
Old 04-29-2018, 12:23 PM
mobilegun
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you doing the repairs yourself or ? otherwise take it to a shop and get it fixed? Not sure what the true difference between a porsche approved center (PACC) and a reputable body shop is, other than the PACCs are not always in an area nearby, perhaps others have more knowledge about this.
as far as value, just my .02, there was a '12 that went for ballpark 15k less than it could have gone for, presumably due to minor front end damage a while back. this is all total speculation however since there's too many factors (motivation to sell, color, options, etc etc) involved in each case, including yours. so i'd take that with a grain of salt...

sorry to hear/see that though
Old 04-29-2018, 12:30 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,964 Likes on 2,044 Posts

Well it looks like you will need to paint obviously the door and rear fender and then probably blend into the front fender. You are going to want to run that through insurance. Would recommend having the body shop pull the dents that are there and then paint, instead of replacing panels.

As far as Porsche Body shop vs a normal body shop, just find the one in your area that does the best work. Talk with your local Porsche/Ferrari/Aston dealer and see who they use. That is going to probably be the best. If someone else caused this damage, I would recommend trying to file for diminished value. The way you would want to do this is get a quote on your car for how much it would be worth with the accident and without the accident.

It may or may not show up on Carfax. Most body shops wont report to Carfax, but the Police and insurance might.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:46 PM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I should have been clearer. Not doing the work myself - I'll have a shop do it. Curious about pulling a dent on the fender/wheel line vs the full panel replacement.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:54 PM
loonwin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch -- sorry that happened. As someone who was recently shopping for a 997TT, I'll throw in my two cents on the value impact. Take this with a grain of salt as this is only one man's opinion.

There are two types of shoppers -- (1) those who are looking to drive it around for a few years but eventually re-sell the car to upgrade to a different one, (2) those who consider this their dream car and will want to keep it forever. The first group won't even look at a car that has a marred Carfax, no matter the discount. I personally passed up on a couple of cars that were discounted by $10-15k the average market value. The second group will be far more willing to overlook an accident, but they'll of course be looking for a deal. The extent of the damage affects how much it will kill your value -- obviously only panel/paint damage will be different than frame/axle damage. In summary, I think it'll cost you in the ballpark of $10k depreciation, and will probably take longer to sell too. Again, really sorry that happened to you
Old 04-29-2018, 01:02 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

The best way to estimate depreciation is to ask a professional estimator. For $300-500, they would give you an estimate to give to their insurance. No sense arguing with them about how much to give you. But a professional estimate you can bring to court.

Bring it to a porsche certified body shop, whether locally or ship it to them, their insurance should cover shipping.

Then keep it for 15 years and all is forgiven.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:23 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

The door skin will have to be removed. A new one glued as the original. It’s aluminum as you probably know. Aluminum once stretched, will not go back to its original form. The rear panel might be repaired using conventional techniques. Not a big deal. You won’t know the difference. Secondly, it’s not that big of a deal as far as depreciation is concerned. I would not worry about it. Good luck.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:37 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

It's not a bad fix at all. It will get handled, and you won't ever be able to tell that it happened. When my 2009 got hit by some fool that didn't know the color of stoplights (hit in the front bumper), I took it to the nearest Porsche approved collision center. The place was FULL of porsches. Some of the Porsches were even brand new with window stickers - parking lot damage from the dealer lot even.

It happens, get over it, forget about values right now, when you see your car fixed it will more than make up for the sickness in your stomach you are feeling right now.

My only complaint is that the Porsche centers take longer than comparable body shops, but on the upside, I got them to fix a bunch of rock chips on the car that were pre existing. Car looks better than when it went in.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:18 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Catorce
It's not a bad fix at all. It will get handled, and you won't ever be able to tell that it happened. When my 2009 got hit by some fool that didn't know the color of stoplights (hit in the front bumper).
Haha made me lol
Old 04-29-2018, 02:38 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Yeah, that will ruin your day.. As others stated, just get it to a reputable shop.. I'd ask members of your local PCA chapter who they use.. I also agree to pay a few $ and get a assessment once its fixed and file a diminished value claim, assuming you are not at fault. Depending on mileage, it def could be worth 10K to you.. I've had luck getting a claim paid before.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:24 PM
Feld
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 61 Posts

To answer your question of repair vs. replace the door needs a new skin if it is available, if not available a new door shell and the shop will transfer your interior panel and guts of door to the new shell. If the shop puts a new skin on make sure they duplicate the original where the seam is with oem looking seam sealer, when done it should look like other side. The quarter panel is pushed in a significant amount and if straightend it will have some filler which is fine as long as it is done correctly, I would call this a borderline replace my preference would be not to break all those factory welds and have it repaired.

Good luck.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:56 PM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Send the car to Collision Consultants in Los Angeles www.collisionbodyshop.com and ask for Sam Zamir. The absolute best Porsche collision shop I have ever seen. Even vintage 911s get hit and their work is impeccable. Get it fixed right with precision work and the right paint and value impact will be negligible.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:09 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by svb
Send the car to Collision Consultants in Los Angeles www.collisionbodyshop.com and ask for Sam Zamir. The absolute best Porsche collision shop I have ever seen. Even vintage 911s get hit and their work is impeccable. Get it fixed right with precision work and the right paint and value impact will be negligible.
Agree

Whats done is done.

Do the right thing and have someone fix it right.

You wont know it happened in 2 weeks.

Dont fret. Things like these happen.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:27 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 109 Posts

I am not sure about CO, but here in Georgia we have firms that specialize in arguing diminished value claims with insurance companies. I had one with a M3. Insurance offered me $4,000, once they got done with the evaluation, I received $8,300 plus the cost to repair the claim. Well worth the $400. Insurance companies don't want to understand the impact, unless someone makes them. Good luck!
Old 04-30-2018, 12:19 AM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by loonwin
There are two types of shoppers -- (1) those who are looking to drive it around for a few years but eventually re-sell the car to upgrade to a different one, (2) those who consider this their dream car and will want to keep it forever. The first group won't even look at a car that has a marred Carfax, no matter the discount. I personally passed up on a couple of cars that were discounted by $10-15k the average market value. The second group will be far more willing to overlook an accident, but they'll of course be looking for a deal. The extent of the damage affects how much it will kill your value -- obviously only panel/paint damage will be different than frame/axle damage. In summary, I think it'll cost you in the ballpark of $10k depreciation, and will probably take longer to sell too. Again, really sorry that happened to you

+1. Well said (another person in the #1 camp).

Quick Reply: Body Damage repair suggestions