Where?
That's the question! Where?
Old 04-21-2018, 02:00 AM
justinevoe
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thigobr
That's the question! Where?
Exactly, there aren't. I asked that in jest because the talk in this community is mostly bull**** Rennlist members overblow the coolant hose and cam problem, and seemingly have no idea on what's available in market or the transaction prices. While they convince prospective buyers to hold off the marketplace section is littered with "997.1 manual coupe WTB" requests. Over the last year+ there have been less than forty 2007-2009 manual coupes for sale nationwide at any given time, and any not crashed are quickly snatched up for 80-110k. If you can find one with a clean carfax/title under 50K miles around $70-90kUSD, buy it now. Don't snivel about a DME, don't hem and haw on the internet, buy it. There are a hundred other people on the same car, if you don't, they will.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:58 AM
Tim Kenney
Intermediate

Originally Posted by justinevoe
Exactly, there aren't. I asked that in jest because the talk in this community is mostly bull**** Rennlist members overblow the coolant hose and cam problem, and seemingly have no idea on what's available in market or the transaction prices. While they convince prospective buyers to hold off the marketplace section is littered with "997.1 manual coupe WTB" requests. Over the last year+ there have been less than forty 2007-2009 manual coupes for sale nationwide at any given time, and any not crashed are quickly snatched up for 80-110k. If you can find one with a clean carfax/title under 50K miles around $70-90kUSD, buy it now. Don't snivel about a DME, don't hem and haw on the internet, buy it. There are a hundred other people on the same car, if you don't, they will.
typically I would not respond to such a stupid post but because I started the thread I feel obligated to do so. I also do not intend to get in a shouting match with you so I won’t be responding past this comment.

Yes, 997.1 manual turbos are rare and sought after. With that being said, buying one is a sizable investment and one that should be done with diligence. Good ones sell for 65-75k. Super low mileage meticulous examples can exceed that price but it’s rare. Anyone spending that money should have a PPI done by a reputable shop, a paint meter test done for ones own knowledge, and a DME test to confirm over revs and error codes. If for no other reason, this procedure will protect you if and when you ever go to sell the car again.

After my hours of research, I would absolutley never buy a car with the above error codes. If you feel like this is such an amazing deal and that the codes should be overlooked, I advise you to put your money where your mouth is and contact Cosmo motors where the car is available for you to purchase.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:10 PM
justinevoe
Track Day

Originally Posted by Tim Kenney

typically I would not respond to such a stupid post but because I started the thread I feel obligated to do so. I also do not intend to get in a shouting match with you so I won’t be responding past this comment.

Yes, 997.1 manual turbos are rare and sought after. With that being said, buying one is a sizable investment and one that should be done with diligence. Good ones sell for 65-75k. Super low mileage meticulous examples can exceed that price but it’s rare. Anyone spending that money should have a PPI done by a reputable shop, a paint meter test done for ones own knowledge, and a DME test to confirm over revs and error codes. If for no other reason, this procedure will protect you if and when you ever go to sell the car again.

After my hours of research, I would absolutley never buy a car with the above error codes. If you feel like this is such an amazing deal and that the codes should be overlooked, I advise you to put your money where your mouth is and contact Cosmo motors where the car is available for you to purchase.
Sorry to upset you, I meant what I said sincerely as a way to help you and prospective buyers out there against advice stated like "there are a lot available". I agree with you - this car isn't a good, clean example. I think you wasted your money on the DME because the Carfax posted on Cosmo Motors' website that it was traded into a Porsche franchise, checked over with body electrical faults, then auctioned off, all red flags. It's also over 60K miles, where values take a big hit. From looking at Cosmo's inventory, they specialize in buying low cost clapped out auction 911s to repair/resell way under market. No way to do that on good, clean cars.

As for money where my mouth is, I did that exactly that last summer. While 6 other buyers were hemming and hawing about DME nonsense at this very forum, I went in with my research of *actual* transaction values, knowing it was the lowest priced sub 30K mile 997.1 manual coupe in the country, and bought it. Even if it needed all it coolant hoses and cams replaced or over $10K in repairs, it was still priced below market. Prices and demand have gone up since then, and availability has gone down. If your budget is 65K and your target seller is Cosmo Motors, you need to be patient for dumb luck, or you're going to continue to find high mileage cars with problems. Maybe the market will cool off with more people selling in the warmer months, but right now what this community is telling you about what to expect for that price point isn't happening in the real world - save for one in a thousand exceptions. Most of what's read or researched here doesn't hold water the minute the computer closes and you go into the actual cars for sale, their maintenance records on carfax, and the actual sale prices.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:50 PM
pors9
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Kenney

Have you searched here to determine what you are looking for? Every possible car exists in this database. PORS9
Old 04-21-2018, 04:34 PM
justinevoe
Track Day

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pors9
Have you searched here to determine what you are looking for? Every possible car exists in this database. PORS9
^^^ Great resource to leverage.

Quick Reply: Buying a 997.1T Manual -- Help with DME Report