Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 Turbo Cab Woes - Clam shell won’t lift.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 11:12 AM
damannix
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.1 Turbo Cab Woes - Clam shell won’t lift.

Just got my car back after an engine out, replace all coolant lines, etc. Wanted to take a long drive just to see how things were, and with the spring weather, was about to bring down the top when I noticed the driver side clam wasn’t lifting! I caught it in time (before it bent the whole clam with one side lifting). Bummer!

Initial search seems to indicate it’s fairly doable maybe lifting the clam manually. I have not even checked if the tool to lift the clam is in the bulkhead. Thoughts, Guidance are again appreciated.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:27 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Pics?
Old 04-16-2018, 04:44 PM
onefastman
Intermediate

That is really bad news...

My engine is out at at the moment and the shop made a point to show me that before lowering the car down without the engine in it they re-installed the rear cross brace. They said if this not done it will bend the top, possibly damage the axles, and a few other nasty things.

Hopefully this isn’t your issue, but based on what you’ve said, it sounds like it is.

Here is a a photo of my car and the brace can be seen just above the top of the bumper/engine compartment opening (silver)
Old 04-16-2018, 04:55 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastman

My engine is out at at the moment and the shop made a point to show me that before lowering the car down without the engine in it they re-installed the rear cross brace. They said if this not done it will bend the top, possibly damage the axles, and a few other nasty things.

Hopefully this isn’t your issue, but based on what you’ve said, it sounds like it is.

Here is a a photo of my car and the brace can be seen just above the top of the bumper/engine compartment opening (silver)
Funny you mention this, I was just this weekend reading the factory procedure for dropping the engine (just for fun.. I'm wierd that way ) and noticed that section in the doc where it mentions installing the crossbrace back in if you plan to lower the vehicle or move it around the workshop..
Old 04-21-2018, 12:51 AM
MadScience
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If that's what happened, I doubt it would be much movement. Not great, but the sort of thing a body shop should be able to sort out.

Still, I'll try to file that bit of trivia away in case my car is ever in that situation....
Old 04-22-2018, 12:43 PM
damannix
Cruisin'

Here’s a pic of my clamshell lifting only on one side. I tried to do a manual lift of the clamshell. Still only the right side seems to be lifting. I read that this requires an electronic reset and is not mechanical. Here’s a link.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ell-stuck.html
Not sure what else is there to reset. Thoughts anyone? Is this a dealer thing?
Old 04-23-2018, 03:06 PM
Edgemonty
Intermediate

looks like it was resolved at an independent repair shop. Does anyone know if this can be reset with a Durametric pro?
Old 07-02-2018, 04:09 PM
leighcuc
1st Gear

This just happened in my 997.1 C4S. I did not catch it in time (putting the roof down with the radio on) and it has twisted the clamshell :-(. Did this issue get resolved by a dealer? Looks like I will need to get a new clamshell

Quick Reply: 997.1 Turbo Cab Woes - Clam shell won’t lift.