Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 01:34 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 971 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
You asked how the ride is when I hit a bump?. I feel all bumps because the suspension bottoms out vs. float over them.
Email me the calibration file from your DSC and I'll have a look.
I may make some adjustment based on your input from your particular car.
My email is: tchan@tpcracing.com

The DSC software and extracting of files is self-serviced with the info provided in this links-
http://www.dscsport.com/tuning-academy/

Anyway, "I think" perhaps what I'm experiencing is normal and I'm just not use to it. But, I just looked for springs for my TTS on Ebay. The Eibach's and H&R's all have four coils not two. Is it possible the former owner cut the OEM springs? What do you think?
Number of coils is irrelevant by itself. Spring characteristic is a function of the spring wire alloy, heat treatment process or lack of, spaces between the coils, coil diameter, pitch of the coil.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 03-21-2018, 01:42 PM
Kayaknfly
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I’ll take a look at my stock springs when I get home later this week. Never paid much attention to what they look like.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:57 PM
pterwilliger
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

My ride height is 26.0" front / 26.5" rear on Eibach springs. Based on the postings from cstyles and others that have gone the DSC route, I may give it a try.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:22 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by pterwilliger
My ride height is 26.0" front / 26.5" rear on Eibach springs. Based on the postings from cstyles and others that have gone the DSC route, I may give it a try.

You have most excellent taste in suspension AND wheels good sir
Old 03-24-2018, 12:20 AM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I highly doubt that the springs are cut as i dont think anybody in the right mind would cut springs on $150K car to save a few hundred dollars. I have heard of people painting after maket springs to make it look like OEM to avoid extra hassle or total void of warranty. As some after maket warranties might deny a claim do to after market parts.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:58 PM
Poppahay
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After I got my 08 tt I put together a list of must haves, first bolt ons. Exhaust, tune and a DSC. I bought and installed a Europipe stage one(I’ve got a TIP), a custom tune after data logging(Ultimate Motorwerks) and a DSC module. The module made the most difference. The cars handling was transformed and I don’t track the car. Now I tell my friends it’s the first thing you need to do. Makes more difference than the exhaust or tune for performance we can ALL USE.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:06 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppahay
After I got my 08 tt I put together a list of must haves, first bolt ons. Exhaust, tune and a DSC. I bought and installed a Europipe stage one(I’ve got a TIP), a custom tune after data logging(Ultimate Motorwerks) and a DSC module. The module made the most difference. The cars handling was transformed and I don’t track the car. Now I tell my friends it’s the first thing you need to do. Makes more difference than the exhaust or tune for performance we can ALL USE.
I definitely think my UMW tune made a more noticeable difference but the DSC is also certainly VERY good and well worth the money. Amazing what ~$3000 can do to these cars...
Old 04-12-2018, 08:07 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

My TTS goes into the shop tomorrow to replace my suspect springs with Eibach Pro's and a four wheel alignment. This hopefully along with my DSC will cure my rough ride.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:14 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 100 Posts

My TTS goes into the shop tomorrow to replace my suspect springs with Eibach Pro's and a four wheel alignment. This hopefully along with my DSC will cure my rough ride.
Great choice. If something is still wrong after Eibach springs, DSC controller and a professional Porsche tech doing the installation, then maybe it's your butt-meter that needs recalibration I bet the technician finds something obvious when he starts taking the suspension off the car to install the springs. Sounds like you're only a few hours away from having this issue sorted once and for all. Good luck
Old 04-14-2018, 01:28 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

I just had the DSC module installed and after driving for about 1 hour with it yesterday, here are my short impressions:

I was skeptical that I would notice much of a difference, not because of the product, but more because I am not overly sensitive to small changes in driving dynamics. Let me say, there is definitely a big difference in the comfort level of the suspension. It was never uncomfortable to begin with, but on crappy roads around me, sport mode was too much, even somewhat crashy at times over certain bumps. Now sport mode feels plush in comparison and on some areas of road where I would normally cringe, I could now basically float on through, even in sport mode. I can't wait to see how this tightens up on fast twisties and on the track. I spent most of the time in sport mode because it was so good, that I cannot really comment much on regular mode other than that it'll be really nice for the worst of roads.

This may be a terrible comparison, but I mean it in a good way, it reminded me of the magnaride in my buddy's 1LE in that it adjusts as needed to the driving conditions, speeds, cornering, etc. but always feels comfortable. For the money we spend on our cars, this is a highly welcome addition for the price imo.
Old 04-13-2022, 11:37 PM
vokain
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

So with the DSC installed, I just press the Sport or Sport Plus buttons on my center console and the programming changes?
Old 04-14-2022, 08:24 AM
Kayaknfly
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by vokain
So with the DSC installed, I just press the Sport or Sport Plus buttons on my center console and the programming changes?
The DSC changes your suspension parameters(if you have sports suspension - PASM).
both in regular mode and sport suspension on. Sports plus button is an engine/throttle map change.
depending on which car you have it might work a little different.
I have a 997 Turbo, when I push sport mode (no sport plus) it just changes the throttle/engine map. I have to push my suspension button to change the suspension into and out of sport mode.
it makes a world of difference in both regular(comfort mode) and sport mode for suspension. But it decoupled the control on the 997. Ie I used to push sport mode and the sport suspension automatically came on also (which I could then select off). Now they are independent. I’ve noticed it really dampens pot holes better and seems to transfer weight better.
also sport suspension mode is a stiffer ride then before. Super easy to swap in and out to compare.

Last edited by Kayaknfly; 04-14-2022 at 08:44 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kayaknfly:
cyclrder (04-14-2022), vokain (04-14-2022)
Old 04-14-2022, 08:57 AM
vokain
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kayaknfly
The DSC changes your suspension parameters(if you have sports suspension - PASM).
both in regular mode and sport suspension on. Sports plus button is an engine/throttle map change.
depending on which car you have it might work a little different.
I have a 997 Turbo, when I push sport mode (no sport plus) it just changes the throttle/engine map. I have to push my suspension button to change the suspension into and out of sport mode.
it makes a world of difference in both regular(comfort mode) and sport mode for suspension. But it decoupled the control on the 997. Ie I used to push sport mode and the sport suspension automatically came on also (which I could then select off). Now they are independent. I’ve noticed it really dampens pot holes better and seems to transfer weight better.
also sport suspension mode is a stiffer ride then before. Super easy to swap in and out to compare.
I like the sound of that! Now just to find a good deal on one!! Thank you
Old 04-14-2022, 09:48 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by vokain
I like the sound of that! Now just to find a good deal on one!! Thank you
I would just buy it new…they hold their value very well and you won’t save very much buying used. Plus side is you’ll get most of your money back if you ever sell it. Just my opinion…
Old 04-14-2022, 09:56 AM
vokain
Advanced

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
I would just buy it new…they hold their value very well and you won’t save very much buying used. Plus side is you’ll get most of your money back if you ever sell it. Just my opinion…
I just asked TPC Racing to see if they have a discount code. They’re lower cost than DSC directly as they don’t charge sales tax I think

Quick Reply: Do I Need a DSC Controller?