Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

N-Spec Tires YES or NO

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 02:36 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

The problem with N spec tyres for our cars is that the models available are dated. Who'd want to run PS2's with so many much better current gen tyres available.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:38 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
The problem with N spec tyres for our cars is that the models available are dated. Who'd want to run PS2's with so many much better current gen tyres available.
Ding, winner.

Have a friend who recently retired from Michelin after 32 years as Western Region Sales Mgr. N ratings simple to explain. If you test a tire on one car only to give it an N rating, costs you a lot more than across multiple cars, and the benefit is marginal.

I have been through a lot of PS2 sets with N ratings on the 993 and initially on the TT. Loved them at the time, but ...

The PSS and the later PS4S are better tires for less money, especially for most of the 6/10 driving I do now. And for the canyon carving I indulge in once a year out West.

And PS (no pun), I have driven by your tire test track near Queenstown. If ever back that way, would love a few laps, even in the rental car.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:44 PM
512bb
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
This is the only good reason I've ever heard for using N spec tires; to maintain warranty requirements. Because I promise you if a drivetrain warranty claim arises during warranty, Porsche would use this as a reason not to pay. Seems like cheap insurance during the warranty period. Since I've never bought a Porsche new, this reason never crossed my mind.
This is correct and technically you cannot get a Porsche CPO without N Spec tires.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:49 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by 512bb
This is correct and technically you cannot get a Porsche CPO without N Spec tires.
So keep an extra set of wheels with N spec for those oil changes at the dealer?

Quick Reply: N-Spec Tires YES or NO