Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum-139/)
-   -   N-Spec Tires YES or NO (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum/1054486-n-spec-tires-yes-or-no.html)

theplings 02-28-2018 09:18 PM

N-Spec Tires YES or NO

In stock tires sizes for our cars it seems there are only a handful of options that are N rated. The latest evolution of Michelin tires, super sports and 4S are not N rated while the older PS2 that came on our cars is available and N rated.

Wondering everyone's opinion if it's absolutely necessary to run N spec tires or not.

Thanks!

bondjockey 02-28-2018 10:22 PM

No it is not.

DaveCarrera4 02-28-2018 10:53 PM

Don't believe so, no.

Mr. Turtles 02-28-2018 11:07 PM

No not needed. I ran a couple sets of PS and then PS4 on a Cayman and 991S, fantastic tires. If you're looking for ultimate grip in a street legal tire the MPSC2 is better but the the PS4 was great and can double for track/street duty.

4ocious 03-01-2018 08:07 AM

No requirement, buy the best performance tire available. I have like-new N-spec "stones" and will swap them out this spring for PS4's.

autobonrun 03-01-2018 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by theplings (Post 14837756)
In stock tires sizes for our cars it seems there are only a handful of options that are N rated. The latest evolution of Michelin tires, super sports and 4S are not N rated while the older PS2 that came on our cars is available and N rated.

Wondering everyone's opinion if it's absolutely necessary to run N spec tires or not.

Thanks!

Read this article below from Tire Rack. Not all N ratings are equal anyway (N0 can be different from N1 or N2 for example). With that said, for various reasons that I consider reasonable (note I say that I consider reasonable), I don't search for N rated tires for my Porsches and haven't for 34 years. On one hand they say the N rated tires have been specifically tested for the specific requirements of a Porsche. I guarantee you that the requirements of a GT4's tires are different from my SC and manufacturers don't go back and test every past Porsche model with their latest version, be it N4, N5, etc. ; so how is it specifically tested with the older cars. Doesn't make sense to me. Also, it doesn't mean non N-spec tires are unsafe, it could mean they haven't been tested by Porsche, or it didn't pass one part of their test; maybe the noise level was 2 dB higher than spec. There are other national safety standards tires must meet so I just don't depend on Porsche to make that determination, and I'm unwilling to pay extra for it. I admit that I was surprised to learn that even within the same tire model, like Michelin PS2's, the internal construction and tread compound can differ from N-spec to non-Nspec. I thought the N-spec was purely a testing issue. This means you shouldn't mix N spec and non N spec tires; they also recommed that if you go N spec, it's the same iteration (e.g. all N0, all N1, etc.). This question has come up for years and there are some entertaining discussions on it.

Anyway, this is just my opinion.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...&affiliate=HK8

atcbi5 03-01-2018 04:31 PM

NO stands for nonsense. N1 is second nonsense from the initial nonsense. N 2 is third nonsense from second nonsense....etc. My Michelins PS4 are made in the USA and that my friends is no nonsense. This is coming from a no nonsense guy. I balanced my wheels and tires at the Porsche dealership here in Penske West Broward. Took my USA PS4 tires and they mounted them. Never mentioned anything about the N nonessential NO,N1,N2....etc. all bunch of B.S.. Tomorrow I will wake up in the morning and use one of my metal engineers template with letters and numbers. I will heat up my Radio Shack soldering iron and will etch the MAGA N1 on the sidewalls. Boom N1 certification!

makoshark72 03-01-2018 05:10 PM

Nope..

512bb 03-02-2018 04:44 PM

Nope. Just run the same compound front to back and right to left :-)

ok-cami 03-03-2018 06:38 AM

No. Not necessary. Topic comes up frequently and invokes some passionate responses.

As a question within this thread: what are you all running?

I was running MPSS (not n spec tires) and enjoyed them. When it came time to replace them, they were back ordered forever.
So, I went with P zeros, n spec. No complaints. BTW: my car is '08 tt cab.

nzskater 03-03-2018 06:43 AM

Road: MPS4S
Track: MPSC2

Both great tyres.

jcnesq 03-04-2018 06:28 PM

I have never worried about having N spec tires. A little off topic, but recently I had to replace my rears (ended up replacing all four). Local high-end wheel dealer (not a Porsche specific dealer) recommended the new Conti's. I said I had never been a fan of Conti's, he assured me the new generation is a whole new ballgame, and I went with them. Highly rated on Tire Rack,, price was great, very happy with them. Worth checking out when you are shopping tires.

TBarrow 03-04-2018 06:48 PM

I purchased N-Spec tires just because of my extended warranty. They were in line with what the non-n-spec tires were going for price wise. The warranty states it must be maintained according to Porsche Standards and I just took it to the tires as well. I just do it so that there is no way I can have a question if a drive train service is required. It was strictly peace of mind for me.

autobonrun 03-08-2018 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by TBarrow (Post 14846769)
I purchased N-Spec tires just because of my extended warranty. They were in line with what the non-n-spec tires were going for price wise. The warranty states it must be maintained according to Porsche Standards and I just took it to the tires as well. I just do it so that there is no way I can have a question if a drive train service is required. It was strictly peace of mind for me.

This is the only good reason I've ever heard for using N spec tires; to maintain warranty requirements. Because I promise you if a drivetrain warranty claim arises during warranty, Porsche would use this as a reason not to pay. Seems like cheap insurance during the warranty period. Since I've never bought a Porsche new, this reason never crossed my mind.

theplings 03-08-2018 11:56 AM

I ordered a set of of Michelin 4s, I don't have a Porsche warranty to worry about and it seems like the 4s are their latest and greatest street tire.