Sponsored by:

Paintable Side Skirts

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 01:57 PM
Zachy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paintable Side Skirts

I've done quite a bit of research, exercising the google, rennlist and 6sp** search buttons. Information is kinda spread all over the place, and I can't seem to find a definitive answer to my ultimate question.

Here's what I know:
The earlier 997 GT2 paintable (primed) OEM side skirts are discontinued. Can't find them anywhere.
Those GT2 side skirts were used as replacements/mods to 997.1 widebody cars, including my 997.1 TT.
The 997 GTS had a similar or perhaps identical side skirt to the GT2. The GTS is a widebody configuration.
The GTS side skirt (primed) part number is 997-504-982-82 (right side). Similar number for left.
I have read that ALL wide body 997s have compatible side skirt mounts for factory options. I can't personally verify this.
I'm not interested in the matte black, non-paintable skirts. Nor non-OEM skirts. Nor the "basic" or standard skirt.

What I want to know:
Is the the GTS part number 997-504-982-82 compatible with the 997.1TT?
Is it essentially the same as the GT2 side skirt (discontinued)?

Thanks to anyone with explicit knowledge on this.
Cheers,
John
PS: I think I'll cross post on the busier 997 forum as well.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:31 PM
theplings
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I saw these on eBay in my internet travels, maybe what you are looking for

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F202229479979
Old 02-19-2018, 03:35 PM
Zachy
Advanced

Default Close, but...

Thanks for the quick Ebay link. You're on the right track. But I believe that item is the "basic" side skirt, although in the paintable finish (instead of matte black). So that is the equivalent to the currently available Suncoast item:

Suncoast 997 Paintable basic skirt

I believe I'm looking for the GT2 styled skirt which adorned the GTS, and is available today as an OEM primed/paintable part. See for example:

Sonnen Porsche - 997 GTS primed skirt part
Old 02-19-2018, 03:44 PM
Zachy
Advanced

Just to reiterate, the standing question is whether the referenced GTS part (see Sonnen link above) is compatible with all 997 widebodies, in particular 2009 997TT.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:45 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts

Answered your post in the 997 section but answer to both questions is yes.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:38 PM
Car Crazy
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

I just did this. You don't need the version with primer. Any body shop can prep the prep, prime, and paint. I purchased this non-primed version of the GT2 side skirts from Suncoast and my body shop took care of the prep, prime, paint, and install: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/GT2SILLTRIM.html (FYI, my car is a 997.2 but the part about not needing the factory primer holds true)
Old 02-19-2018, 07:44 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Crazy
I just did this. You don't need the version with primer. Any body shop can prep the prep, prime, and paint. I purchased this non-primed version of the GT2 side skirts from Suncoast and my body shop took care of the prep, prime, paint, and install: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/GT2SILLTRIM.html (FYI, my car is a 997.2 but the part about not needing the factory primer holds true)
Yeah, second this. I had my stock black side skirts and lip painted. If you do paint the side skirts, you may want to add a strip of gravel guard to match the texture of the strip just above the side skirt; otherwise it might look out of place.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:15 PM
Zachy
Advanced

Default OK. So that's a new twist....

Few questions:
  1. Is the referenced Suncoast black part the same polyurethane material? I assume so.
  2. Isn't the finish a satin or slightly textured? Assume this requires a sanding at least to take it down before any primer or paint application.
  3. If the Suncoast black piece is ~$760 (+ship) and the primed GTS skirts are 2x$409 = $818 (+ship), then wouldn't it make sense to spend the +$58 to avoid the extra prep/sanding and priming?
Sorry to dive further into the minutia, but want to make sure I'm not missing something.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:18 PM
Car Crazy
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

The Suncoast parts are OEM Porsche parts. They are the identical gray dark plastic (poly?) included from the factory because these are factory parts. The GT2 skirts are slightly more $$ because they are for the GT2 and Porsche charges a premium. IMO they do look better than the factory skirts but if you want to retain the original look, go with the GTS skirts. The GT2 skirts are likely a few more dollars at the end of the day due to the extra prep (as you stated). They are smooth material but they do need prep for the primer and paint to stick. As a 3rd option, you can get the original OEM skirts with primer for $999 for a set of two: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/997TTPPS.html (These may be 100% the same as the GTS skirts, not sure).

Quick Reply: Paintable Side Skirts