Sponsored by:

2008 T on Carmax - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 03:02 PM
Covfefe
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkfuel
Just curious what did you find when you looked at the car? Did it have slight hail damage on the hood and the roof? Did you notice anything wrong with the brakes- the car I drove shuddered under heavy braking and likely needed new pads/ rotors. The tires were also "shot". I could have sworn I looked at this car a couple years ago in South Houston; owner was a real estate guy. I don't recall anything about bumper damage though unfortunately.
I haven't seen this car in person myself, but I did research it a bit as I contemplated a bit about transferring it. The car was previously listed and sold in Houston back in August of 2016 so it could be the same car. The rear bumper damage wasn't reported until December of 2016, but it's listed as occurring back in 2007, so the owner you met with may not have even known about it. I've bought several cars from Carfmax. If there are still any issues with rotors or tires, they are good about fixing all of that stuff for free, provided you bring it to their attention during the return window.

I found the ad from when the car was previously listed back in Houston with 10k less miles. It shows a picture of the roof ding. It looks like it went through the paint, but I still wonder if dent wizard could make it look better.
http://veh-markets.com/cars/other-ca...urbo-2008.html

Last edited by Covfefe; 01-24-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:26 PM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Covfefe
I haven't seen this car in person myself, but I did research it a bit as I contemplated a bit about transferring it. The car was previously listed and sold in Houston back in August of 2016 so it could be the same car. The rear bumper damage wasn't reported until December of 2016, but it's listed as occurring back in 2007, so the owner you met with may not have even known about it. I've bought several cars from Carfmax. If there are still any issues with rotors or tires, they are good about fixing all of that stuff for free, provided you bring it to their attention during the return window.

I found the add from when the car was previously listed back in Houston with 10k less miles. It shows a picture of the roof ding. It looks like it went through the paint, but I still wonder if dent wizard could make it look better.
http://veh-markets.com/cars/other-ca...urbo-2008.html
Your google sleuthing skills are much more impressive than mine :] Great job finding all this detail on this car! I looked in the late summer of 2016 so it MAY be the same one. If it is, I passed on it since it needed a lot of work (see above) but all of that may have been addressed by now. The owner at that time was nice but definitely was not a car-nut. I believe the guy wanted high 60s for it then which was a good price at the time.

Having sold a car with a carfax damage report before, I ate about a 5-6k loss and this was on a 2yo Audi. With so many good cars out there, I'd definitely factor in this report with your valuation and would definitely get a PPI.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:08 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,964 Likes on 2,044 Posts

I would typically stay away from accident cars as well, but with this car being about $10k lower than market average, that isnt a bad deal. Would just want to be sure that it was just something minor and that the engine wasn't involved.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:04 AM
Ellale01
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m glad I found this thread,thanks all for the info. I also found this car and am relatively local so was keen to go see it.
Was kicking myself when it disappeared from their website.

I also googled the Vin and came across an old eBay ad for the car. Was in TX. I actually messaged the eBay user to ask if they would call me with any details, and to date have not heard. If s/he does I will post.

Good low mileage 997’s Turbos with MT are getting hard to find. Seems some are already building in a strong appreciation factor into the pricing, which feels a little hard to believe at this stage. My research would suggest they have bottomed out at 60% depreciation on MSRP. But now suddenly some are asking 80-100k and more for paint to sample colors.

Quick Reply: 2008 T on Carmax - need advice