Sponsored by:

2008 T on Carmax - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 12:25 PM
Caprzeland
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 T on Carmax - need advice

I have just seen this 2008 Turbo on CarMax. I am going today to test drive it, and possibly purchase it. I come from a 991.1 C2, and although I like the car and the noise, I need more torque. I have never driven a Turbo before!!

https://www.carmax.com/car/15512189
VIN: WP0AD29908S783097

Opinions on car condition/ price? Things I should specifically check when I drive the car?
Thanks!
Old 01-23-2018, 12:34 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

That's a darn good price from what I can tell on my phone. Most Porsche CarMax stories I've seen are positive - i.e., the cars aren't bad and CarMax stands behind them if they need repairs right off the lot.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:38 PM
Covfefe
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had considered that car, but then I ran a Carfax on it and realized it had reported "other damage" involving the rear of the car. This explains the too good to be true price.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:40 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

That's a good catch. The "Free Vehicle History" from Autocheck on that page looks perfectly clean.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:47 PM
Rambler_13
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

^ Good find on the Carfax. Carmax's Autocheck report glossed over this entirely. Does the top of the Carfax report an accident?

The price does seem pretty good though if the damage was minimal.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:51 PM
Covfefe
Intermediate

This car appeared a little while back and I paid to run the Carfax. Someone else transferred or held the car as it went offline for a while, but then it came back.. I'm guessing they backed out after they ran the Carfax. The weird thing is that the accident wasn't reported until 12/02/16, but is listed as happening on owner 1's watch. Sometimes it takes a while for the records to show up, but when they do, they really hurt resale ability on a 911 pretty bad.

I had a 911 C2S that was tapped in the rear in stop and go traffic. The only damage was to one of the bumper caps next to the license plate, but I called the police and filed a report in case the damage was worse than could be seen. I replaced the piece to the side of the license plate myself with one the same color from eBay and never made an insurance claim. The incident still showed up on the Carfax because of the police report. When I went to sell I had a few Porsche dealers turn me away saying they wouldn't even buy the car because of the Carfax. I sold it to Carmax with full disclosure, showing them pics of the minor damage. They thought it was no big deal, but then they sat on the car for several months, eventually selling it for 10k less than they paid me.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:52 PM
Covfefe
Intermediate

The top of the Carfax shows "other damage". I'd upload the whole report, but not sure how to do that here.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:00 PM
Rambler_13
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Covfefe
This car appeared a little while back and I paid to run the Carfax. Someone else transferred or held the car as it went offline for a while, but then it came back.. I'm guessing they backed out after they ran the Carfax. The weird thing is that the accident wasn't reported until 12/02/16, but is listed as happening on owner 1's watch. Sometimes it takes a while for the records to show up, but when they do, they really hurt resale ability on a 911 pretty bad.

I had a 911 C2S that was tapped in the rear in stop and go traffic. The only damage was to one of the bumper caps next to the license plate, but I called the police and filed a report in case the damage was worse than could be seen. I replaced the piece to the side of the license plate myself with one the same color from eBay and never made an insurance claim. The incident still showed up on the Carfax because of the police report. When I went to sell I had a few Porsche dealers turn me away saying they wouldn't even buy the car because of the Carfax. I sold it to Carmax with full disclosure, showing them pics of the minor damage. They thought it was no big deal, but then they sat on the car for several months, eventually selling it for 10k less than they paid me.
Thanks for posting the Carfax. In some cases, it is unfortunate how a Carfax can completely kill resale, no matter how minor the incident. Also, the fact that something can pop up years later is really scary as well. Imagine thinking you bought a clean car with a good PPI, then a couple years later, an accident from the previous owner suddenly pops up on the report. I wonder if the Carfax guarantee provides any protection against this.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:18 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

When I go to the link, it says the car can't be reserved and it has no price.. maybe someone already jumped on it.. what was the asking?

Covfefe, you can attach as a PDF on your post.. You may need to "print" it as a PDF as I cant recall if the Carfax reports come that way to begin with..
Old 01-23-2018, 01:24 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Asking was $62.9k or thereabouts. And yeah, it definitely changed to N/A and "can't be reserved" in the last 30 minutes.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:28 PM
Covfefe
Intermediate

They were asking $62,995, but it looks like someone else reserved or transferred it again. It may pop back up again. This is typically what tips sell for. Manuals usually fetch a premium. At this price, this could potentially be a good buy if you aren't worried about future resale. Still, I'd definitely advise whoever jumps on this to have the car inspected closely, maybe get a TrueFrame report.

I found the PDF upload on the advanced tab.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:32 PM
Caprzeland
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just test drove this car, and I passed. So it will show up again on Carmax as avail as soon as the release it from my hold.
The interior is very good, exterior is so so with a few small scratches a a dent on the roof top. I realized that Turbo is not for me, and I will stick to nat aspirated.
Thanks to all!
Old 01-24-2018, 12:22 PM
05Mdriver
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Caprzeland
I realized that Turbo is not for me, and I will stick to nat aspirated.
What type of roads were you driving on ? I felt the same at first since i was mostly driving straight line / highway, but once in the back roads and keeping on boost.. the car is just unworldly.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:14 PM
Covfefe
Intermediate

I'd love to know the story on the damage and why it only started being reported 9 years later. Also, it's odd that they report it as "other damage" but not as an accident. Carfax put it on the history around the time when the car had 12 miles, before the first owner leased it. If this is accurate, that would imply it might have incurred damage on the dealers lot when new. It could have been simply tapped in the rear while moving cars around the lot and then had a subsequent bumper respray. It's unfortunate that Carfax doesn't provide more details about these sort of things.

Still, I'm guessing someone will still buy the car for $63k. That's about 10-15k below what other similar mileage manual turbo coupes are selling for.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:40 PM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just curious what did you find when you looked at the car? Did it have slight hail damage on the hood and the roof? Did you notice anything wrong with the brakes- the car I drove shuddered under heavy braking and likely needed new pads/ rotors. The tires were also "shot". I could have sworn I looked at this car a couple years ago in South Houston; owner was a real estate guy. I don't recall anything about bumper damage though unfortunately.

Quick Reply: 2008 T on Carmax - need advice