Sponsored by:

997.1 TT tiptronic

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 06:12 PM
carbonjim996tt
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 997.1 TT tiptronic

I've been off of the site for some time now and will be looking to get back into a Turbo sometime next year. I sold my '02 TT which was a sweet car. 6 speed with some nice mods and I loved the car. Sold the car when we moved and now I want to get back into an '07 or '08. My problem is my left leg is bad due to an old sports injury that even 47 years later is a problem for me and it won't get any better I feel and my doctors agree. So the question is about the tip. I'm starting to do my research on '07's and what is out there is mostly tip's as no one wants them. So what are the pro's and con's in your opinion? Should I wait until the '10's come down in price and go with the PDK or go with the '09 C4S? I'm going back and forth in my mind about this. I loved the raw power of my 996TT and that is why I'm leaning toward the Turbo. My thought is if no one wants the tiptronic will they come down in price even more. There are some in my area for the high 60's with low miles. Anyone on here have an '07 tip? What do you like or dislike? Share your thoughts please and thanks it is good to be back. Soon to be in my 3rd Porsche.
Jim
Old 12-27-2017, 06:27 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,967 Likes on 2,045 Posts

You said you enjoyed the raw power of your 996TT, so I think you should get another Turbo, whether a Tiptronic .1 or a PDK .2. If I were you I would wait and find a PDK car but that is because the transmission is such an integral part of the experience. I for one enjoy a good manual but enjoy a good dual clutch box just as much and for that reason am looking for a 997.2 C2S/C4S/GTS in PDK. Have driven a Tiptronic car in the past for a couple of months and the shift times are slower and I ended up leaving it in automatic mode most of the time. With PDK I end up driving in manual mode most of the time because you really do feel connected with the car.

If you did decide to go with a Tiptronic car, you can get the paddle shift steering wheel so that you will have a better connection with the car instead of the typical Tiptronic buttons. I believe it does require some coding but it is worth it.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:47 PM
carbonjim996tt
Rennlist Member

I forgot about the upgrade to paddle shifters. That would help some. I wish I could get a new left leg and a 6-speed! I've thought about a 997.2 C4S as well. My '02 had work done to it by the previous owner and was at about 500hp so I know the feel of that . I guess one has to drive them both and then decide.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:54 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

I have 2 metal hips (Titanium, baby!) and love my Tip. Sure, have driven a friend's PDK a few hundred miles on a road trip, and it shifts faster. But if I were buying used today, not appreciably faster to justify the price difference.

Put a Europipe on and turbo lag is gone.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:28 AM
carbonjim996tt
Rennlist Member

Terry, thanks for your .02, I appreciate it. So those of us who are messed up are the ones in the Turbo's with the Tips? I'm thinking they should come down a bit more in price still. Upper 60's to low 70's now. Maybe the bottom is 60-65? When I'm ready to pull the trigger it will be about the right color, mileage and most importantly service history. What special things to look out for in an '07-'08? I know most of the main things but the coolant pipes were something I did not know. Always something to learn.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:44 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

My coolant pipes went at 90K miles. No track, just occasional boost checks and canyon carving.

I would not wait for them to come down any more, as the low price example you find may be low because of issues.

Start shopping soon for the color and condition you want. Drive and enjoy, life is short.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:52 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

I've owned and driven both, Tip and PDK. Although the PDK is smoother that fact alone would not stop me from buying another Tip-equipped TT.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:07 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

I currently own two 6 speed Turbos as well as a 2002 targa which is a Tip. Recently, I bought a really low mileage 09 Tip for my dad because he has the same sorts of issues you do.

Observations:
- The 2009 Tiptronic is light years ahead of the one in my 2002.
- The car is still damned fast and pretty easy to drive.
- It's not as fast as either of my 6 speeds but IMHO the difference is negligible.
- Shifting isn't like PDK, but for example, my SL55 AMG has a Tiptronic like trans with paddle shifters, and the Porsche Tip is way faster than that.

I was a Tip hater in Turbos, but after driving one for a while, I was pretty impressed with it. Mash the pedal and it does all the right stuff.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:10 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

I've got a few skateboarding injuries and having a Tip helps make driving a more comfortable experience. It's not a dual clutch gearbox for sure, but once you've gotten used to the behaviour of the box it's just as fun to drive. The only time I think about PDK is when I'm doing a straight line launch, so not often at all. In the corners it never comes to mind.
The following users liked this post:
babylonboots (08-05-2020)
Old 12-28-2017, 01:57 PM
carbonjim996tt
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all of the great responses from everyone. Now I just have to take the time to find the right car.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:37 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

I was in exactly the same situation as you are. I wanted the cheapest Tip I could find due to a left knee in bad shape even after surgery (to replace my 996 C4S I had for 13 years).

I looked and looked and decided I MUCH prefer the look of the 997.2 Turbo S's but I couldn't afford one of them. But... I like it better, so I saved, sold some stock I own (I figured I'll be dead of stress by 65 anyway, who cares?) and decided to LIVE FOR NOW.

Then I had a budget of $99k max instead of $64k max for the TIP. But the car I really wanted was $110k so I thought deep and hard, sold some more stock (I will probably never need that money anyway) and just went for it. I couldn't be happier!!!! SO HAPPY. Jumping for joy every time I drive it, look at it, clean it, admire it, punch it, take friends for thrilling rides in it, stare at it in my parking lot as I'm walking away from it, etc. It's the PERFECT car for me, wasn't a compromise in any way, and in the end, 2 years after buying it, working pretty much 7 days a week to make up the difference in the stock money I used to pay for it, I'm even Steven with my accounts now and back to where I was and far past it so yes, I'm glad I paid a lot more to get exactly what I want.

You may be in a totally different situation as I am, but the PDK is remarkable and a pristine $8k mile car was my dream. And I got one, 1 year newer than I even expected to be able to afford. The dealer came down from like $116k to $110k. To me, it's a supercar. As fast as most Ferraris but easily driveable most anywhere and less worries on the repair side. And in silver, it looks kind of plain Jane so I don't get unwanted "Ferrari attention".

Old 12-29-2017, 08:37 PM
ctony66
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just sold my 09 tip. All I have to say is there are plenty of haters on here that will tell you not to get one because it's a slushbox blah blah blah. It's still a great car with a tip. Line up next to a stick from a dig and see who gets to the next light first. I had a late model paddle wheel and it was a blast to drive. My 2 cents...
Old 12-29-2017, 09:04 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

Not sure if I could own only a TIP S Car. But, I am fortunate to have a MT and a TIP S car.

I must admit I enjoy cruising in my Cab, top down TIP 997.1.

Neither are DD.

I dont see any issue with the TIP S. It drives great cruising and in Manual mode you can flog on it if you choose. But, its a cab, top always down cruiser. So, for me the TIP works for this application.

Enjoy.

5am canyon run Saturday. Taking the MT for this run!
Old 12-30-2017, 07:04 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a 997tt tip. In my 993, the manual wasn't right. 1st gear was so low and 2nd gear was so high. Every time I left a stop and shifted, it just felt awkward. I didn't want that experience again. I'm so happy with the tip, I do not miss the manual at all.
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2017, 08:27 AM
W211
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very much enjoying my reliable 997.1TT tip since 2006 August. Got it brand new and had zero issues with it. I strangely enjoy the tip buttons I can downshift and upshift with one hand...

Quick Reply: 997.1 TT tiptronic