Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question as a future 997 tt owner.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 04:31 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question as a future 997 tt owner.

I’ve been researching/searching for a 997 tt for the past few months. Found some really nice examples and a few here in Rennlist. Not my perfect example yet.

I’ve learned about myself, that sometimes the search is better than the purchase.

With that said, I’ve noticed many 997tt owners selling their cars within year and even months of purchasing it. And I’m assuming they put in the same time, energy and money to get their perfect example as I am.

I’m wondering why? Cost of ownership, something missing or are they just like me and the hunt is he best part?

I welcome any insight.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:48 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 938 Likes on 567 Posts

A 5 day road trip, with canyon carving and some like minded buds, reveals more than a 10 minute test drive. For some, the car is just not what they want or expected.

After they check the cost of an oil change, replace 4 tires, a 30K service, or gawd forbid a coolant line replacement, they get cold feet and want out.

Owning for a year could work out cheaper than renting for a week.

So many reasons, especially if you are a Libra and change your mind like your underwear.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:32 PM
bigds01
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
A 5 day road trip, with canyon carving and some like minded buds, reveals more than a 10 minute test drive. For some, the car is just not what they want or expected.

After they check the cost of an oil change, replace 4 tires, a 30K service, or gawd forbid a coolant line replacement, they get cold feet and want out.

Owning for a year could work out cheaper than renting for a week.

So many reasons, especially if you are a Libra and change your mind like your underwear.
So I am selling mine after a year, because I sell my cars after I own them for a year. Spent 10k on a major service, Sachs upgraded clutch and tires. Now I want a r8
Old 11-05-2017, 08:37 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 875 Likes on 442 Posts

People are fickle, that's all. I wouldn't part with my car for "anything". LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!!! So will you, I'm guessing. There's nothing like it. It's an "almost super car" for relatively cheap money.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:31 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by adcampo
I’ve been researching/searching for a 997 tt for the past few months. Found some really nice examples and a few here in Rennlist. Not my perfect example yet.

I’ve learned about myself, that sometimes the search is better than the purchase.

With that said, I’ve noticed many 997tt owners selling their cars within year and even months of purchasing it. And I’m assuming they put in the same time, energy and money to get their perfect example as I am.

I’m wondering why? Cost of ownership, something missing or are they just like me and the hunt is he best part?

I welcome any insight.

This is my 3rd 997 TT. I bought and sold 3 in less than a year. I sell or buy when I see a better conditioned car.

If you are looking for one, dont let condition stop you as life is short. If you really want one, buy a car, drive it, if you like it, buy another one when a better one comes around. Thats what I did.

They are used cars so condition can vary.

And I am always on the look out but IMO, my current car would be hard to beat as far as condition, that is why its still with me after over a year.

Together with my RS, this is the longest ive owned a porsche.

This car is hard to beat.

I think I am getting old.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:34 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
This is my 3rd 997 TT. I bought and sold 3 in less than a year. I sell or buy when I see a better conditioned car.

If you are looking for one, dont let condition stop you as life is short. If you really want one, buy a car, drive it, if you like it, buy another one when a better one comes around. Thats what I did.

They are used cars so condition can vary.

And I am always on the look out but IMO, my current car would be hard to beat as far as condition, that is why its still with me after over a year.

Together with my RS, this is the longest ive owned a porsche.

This car is hard to beat.

I think I am getting old.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of sales tax is there where you are? We pay 12% here, so would take a bath swapping cars that often. (Unless you buy from a dealer and trade in the old car, but then you're at their mercy on pricing.)
Old 11-06-2017, 12:51 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 366 Posts

^6.25% here in TX.

12%? Yikes..
Old 11-06-2017, 08:28 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

While i still have my 7tt, and ive owned it closing in on 3 years, im of thr opinion that while and insanely capable car, there is some specialness missing. it doesnt 100% feel like a long term keeper imho
Old 11-06-2017, 09:46 AM
JSF721
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I suppose people flip out of cars for a lot of reasons. Expectations not met? Not in my case but I guess it could happen. Operating expenses higher than expected-especially on a non-new purchase? Getting a car that is mechanically not as expected for whatever reason.

I love everything about my car, and unfortunately I don't get to DD it. I have owned since new and only have 6K on the clock. My plan was to keep, it for a long time, like ever but I hardly use it so, I am not sure it makes sense, until I stomp on the gas and boom, I'm in love.

I think depreciation has slowed down tro the point where I will keep it. and over the non winter months, I really enjoy it.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:15 AM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Too fast for most to handle
Old 11-06-2017, 11:45 AM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheStrong
Too fast for most to handle
Not so much "to handle" but I can certainly understand feeling like you're not the full experience out of the car if you can only drive it in traffic or urban areas at max 30mph.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:56 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 976 Posts

I'll throw in a few comments here.

I owned my 997 TT for about 2-1/2 years. It was a fantastic vehicle, and I loved owning it. I didn't think I'd sell it as quickly as I did, especially considering that I drove my 996 C4S for nearly 7 years. It was a series of events that ultimately pushed me to sell the 997 TT in favor of a 991 TTS. It went a bit like this:

1. I spent a week in Europe driving a rented 991 C4S cabriolet through Germany, Austria, Italy, and Switzerland. This experience really familiarized me with the 991, and also with PDK. I loved the car. I considered myself to be a diehard manual transmission guy until I drove mountain passes in Italy with PDK, Stelvio Pass in particular. I was blown away with how good the PDK system was, and it made me reconsider my thoughts that I would only drive a manual transmission sports car.
2. I did a track day experience in a Ferrari 458 Italia. I only bring this up because it was my first track time with a dual-clutch transmission like PDK. Again, I was blown away by this experience and it pushed me further down the road towards being okay with PDK.
3. I started making modifications to the 997.1 TT. These included things like a brief stint with LED tail lights, upgrades to the stereo, addition of bluetooth telephone connectivity, etc. These boards frequently discuss things like adding 20" wheels, adding modules to change the behavior of the suspension, ECU tuning to add more power, changing the headlights to the 991 style, adding DRLs to the 997.1, adding XM radio, etc. The more that I thought about spending money on these things, the more I thought about buying a car that already had all these things instead of changing the car that I had. The 991 TT and TTS already have all these things. The jump from a 997 to a 991 is a bigger one than the jump from a 996 to a 997, in my opinion.
4. My aftermarket warranty expired on the 997 TT, and I was just approaching 50K miles.
5. The 997 TT was going strong, but it needed some maintenance. The clutch was showing signs of wear and pending replacement. It needed four new summer tires. The 3M clear bra was yellowing and peeling in spots, and needed replacement. There were other minor things needed. All things considered, it probably needed somewhere between $10K and $12K in maintenance. The thought of putting this money into the car as opposed to putting it into a newer car pushed me further down the road towards the newer car.

So, the point of my long story is that it was a series of events that ultimately made me sell the car, not a single event. It wasn't the car itself - it was a wonderful vehicle. It was the combination of factors that did it. I almost bought a new 2016 C4S cabriolet, but I stumbled across the CPO 2014 TTS, and it had more options that I wanted compared to the C4S.

If I were in the same situation when I bough the 997.1 TT back in 2014, I would do it again without a second thought.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:57 AM
Steven954
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will never sell mine because I know cannot find anything better for the $$$. Purchased it with 6k miles and its pretty much perfect. The fact that is has actually appreciated from the time I have purchased it makes me love it even more. I admit there are times when I think of getting something else, but the thought of sacrificing my 997TT and not having it anymore grounds me fairly quickly. The only thing that I find lacking in the 997TT is the WOW factor when driving, does not get that many looks for the most part, and only those who KNOW Porsche really understand how amazing it is. Just took my cousins Lambo out and it impossible not to be checked out constantly (which I like lol). At the same time, pound for pound my 997TT is a much better car than his Gallardo. Good luck with your purchase, you can never go wrong with these cars.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:31 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steven954
I will never sell mine because I know cannot find anything better for the $$$. Purchased it with 6k miles and its pretty much perfect. The fact that is has actually appreciated from the time I have purchased it makes me love it even more. I admit there are times when I think of getting something else, but the thought of sacrificing my 997TT and not having it anymore grounds me fairly quickly. The only thing that I find lacking in the 997TT is the WOW factor when driving, does not get that many looks for the most part, and only those who KNOW Porsche really understand how amazing it is. Just took my cousins Lambo out and it impossible not to be checked out constantly (which I like lol). At the same time, pound for pound my 997TT is a much better car than his Gallardo. Good luck with your purchase, you can never go wrong with these cars.
Thats what I like about this car, only those who know it will appreciate it. Regular joes will not bother.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:33 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by Skwerl
Not so much "to handle" but I can certainly understand feeling like you're not the full experience out of the car if you can only drive it in traffic or urban areas at max 30mph.
I drive mine 1-2 a week to work only highways thats why I really learned to love it. You have to use it the way it is intended, it is not a track car nor a screaming car, its a GT car and its perfect for it.

Quick Reply: Question as a future 997 tt owner.