Sponsored by:

Question as a future 997 tt owner.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 09:15 PM
Artwerks
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 993MAN
... the 997TT, as good as it is is still missing something. It's hard to put my finger on what that is though.

After owning a 360F1 I know nothing will compare. Every time I drove the 360 it was an event. I wish the TT made me feel like that 360 did.

But then there is the cost of ownership, which is why I have another Porsche in the garage.
I think you just put your finger on it, 993MAN.
I've been thinking about selling my 997TT, because I purchased it to be that beauty sitting on top of my lift as if on a throne, and only coming down for battle. But the 997TT does not give me that feeling of every drive being something special. I've come to the conclusion that it's because it's just too refined/comfortable. I have no problem driving it to the grocery store and parking it in the parking lot. People don't turn their heads when I drive by. It doesn't roar out loud, exclaiming, "I'm a supercar with 500HP! Don't mess with me!"
Yet it is quite a super car. In fact, I'm afraid I may lose my license in the near future for driving it the way it deserves to be driven.
I think I may begin looking to trade it in for a Ferrari 355 Berlinetta gated manual. THAT car will inevitablly and undeniably be an experience, an "event", something special every time I drive it. It's a loud flat-plane V8, it's got quirks and drives rough. It's not nearly as fast as the Turbo so, maybe it will keep me out of trouble? And it's unmistakably beautiful. So beautiful it will only be allowed out of the garage for special events.
But then again, will I be kicking myself when the F-car needs maintenance and the bill is extraordinary? I mean, I do have a daily driver, a truck for hauling and off-roading and a car for beating up on the race track. If the F-car needs maintenance and I can't afford it, at least it looks pretty on the throne.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:43 PM
bondjockey
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

As someone who sold their 355 GTS for a 997.1 turbo I can say with certainty that 1. driving a 355 is absolutely an event 2. it is unmistakably beautiful and 3. the maintenance cost will bring you to your knees. If you have money to burn it's a fun car. If you don't I would suggest you look elsewhere...

Quick Reply: Question as a future 997 tt owner.