Sponsored by:

New Member Intro - 2009 997.1 TT

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 10:25 AM
IndyM
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 56 Posts
Default New Member Intro - 2009 997.1 TT

Hi guys. New member here, wanted to quickly introduce myself. After looking for about 6 months, I just picked up an ’09 997 TT (6MT). Arctic Silver with full Black leather. Full spec sheet is below. This car was discussed previously in this thread here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...-purchase.html

I’ve been around the Porsche scene for several years… but all air-cooled (currently have a ’63 356B Coupe and an ’89 Carrera in the garage), but this is my first modern/water-cooled Porsche. All I can say is WOW. Amazing. This thing is a beast. Impressive on every level.

After looking at a lot of cars, I really loved the way this car is spec’d. It has some interesting options like the LSD, non-adaptive heated sport seats (my personal preference), standard steering wheel, red taillights, and several interior bits in exterior color. The fact that it was a 2009 was the icing on the cake for me.

I flew to Denver last Wednesday to pick it up, then drove 1153 miles back to Indianapolis, making it home the next day. Had a great trip, and really had a chance to open the car up through eastern Colorado and western Nebraska!

The car won’t be my daily, as I have 4 little kids. But I expect to drive it a day or two a week.

General questions and project list:
- The car has option 618 “Bluetooth Interface for Mobile Phone with Phone Holder”. See last photo below, “phone holder” on right side of PCM. I can’t find much on this option, so assume it was not very popular. I plan to remove the phone holder, but unfortunately I’ll have to replace that entire trim panel (the piece to the right of the PCM). Has anyone made this swap? I believe the part number is 997.553.117.06, but if anyone has done this and confirm, that would be great. I have a message in to LA Dismantler to see if they can assist.
- The car has a built in K40 Calibre radar detector, but it seems to be inoperable. I’ve read that the technology is pretty dated so rather than try to get it working, I think I will cut off the front and rear sensors and cap the wires, and will just rely on my trusty V1 (will hardwire it). That said, if anyone knows anything about this K40 model and thinks I should try to salvage it, please speak up!
- Plan to remove window tint… on quarter windows and rear glass. Looks “unbalanced” currently, so I think I’ll go with a clean, no-tint look. Hope to have this done this week.
- Ordered Lloyds mats. The factory mats are in good condition and I think I want to keep them that way.
- Wheels… Like the stock wheels, but thinking I’ll try something else. Considering the BBS CH-R (have always loved that wheel) or HRE FF01. Probably going 19”… 20” seems like a lot of wheel on this car. I’ve done a lot of searching on the forum and know the jury is split on this topic! But any additional input appreciated.
- The front valance has some scuffs. I’d like to replace it. I believe this is the correct OEM part number: 997-505-557-15-01C-OEM. Has anyone done this? I assume it is a pretty straightforward DIY?
- The “Service Due” indicator came on about halfway through my drive home. I was a little surprised since the car just had a PPI done by the Porsche dealer in Denver and it indicated nothing about service. The last major service (oil change, brake fluid flush) was September 2016 at 24,750 miles. At 26,000 miles, what service could be due this be? Is it just indicating oil service due by time?

I appreciate any input/guidance on the questions above. I look forward to figuring out this car and, hopefully knowing enough to contribute on this board sooner than later!

Last edited by IndyM; 10-10-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:36 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Nice looks clean.

K40 is crap, get rid of it (had same one in my RS)

"Service due" is probably for time or mileage. Problem is, you need either PIWIS or something similar to clear.

1,000 + mile road trip out of the box must have been great.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:53 AM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 80 Posts

Congrats on the '09 6MT! Nice config - I like the silver interior bits. Agree the service indicator could be from sitting over time. (My last service was when indicator went on after only 1,600mi driving unfortunately...)

I'm on the quest for wheels in the next 6 mos as well - leaning towards BBS LM or maybe Rotiform
Old 10-10-2017, 11:22 AM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Looks great! The exterior-colored-console look has really grown on me the more I've seen it, and looks especially clean in Arctic Silver.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:27 PM
austx911S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice find. Looks exceptionally clean and '09 6sp with PCM 3 is even better.

Congrats!
Old 10-10-2017, 12:39 PM
Rob Burgoyne
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also bought an arctic silver turbo with the super cool Porsche phone. It actually came with two car phones, one being carbon fiber, hahah. I have yellow deviated stitching so finding replacement center console pieces without the giant hole from the phone mount has been impossible. I modded it with a magnet mount for my Cobb AP.

https://imgur.com/a/0SDCZ
Old 10-10-2017, 03:38 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Congrats, and welcome to the club! '09 is the best, great choice. Nicely optioned too.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Trending Topics

Old 10-10-2017, 05:32 PM
IndyM
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all of the kind words! Yes, it is a very clean car. I feel lucky to have found it.

Appreciate the input on the service. I'll get it in to my indy mechanic before I put the car away for the winter. I do my own routine maintenance on my two other Porsches... but no computer to reset there! Maybe I should look in to a Durametric tool? Anyone on here using one?
Old 10-11-2017, 12:55 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Welcome to the 2009 club!
Old 10-11-2017, 03:35 PM
MIKe30
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Ferrari of Denver right? Looks nice.. I’m not a fan of silver cars but I really like the silver seat belts - nice subtle touch and doesn’t scream look-at-me like red or yellow seat belts.. like the tails too. Good job
Old 10-11-2017, 05:18 PM
IndyM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MIKe30
Ferrari of Denver right? Looks nice.. I’m not a fan of silver cars but I really like the silver seat belts - nice subtle touch and doesn’t scream look-at-me like red or yellow seat belts.. like the tails too. Good job
Yes, Ferrari of Denver is correct. Good guys to work with, made the process very easy.

And yes, I agree on the seat bests... nice subtle interior touch.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:09 AM
IndyM
Rennlist Member

Just thought I'd post with a quick update on my first week and a half of ownership... I'm making good progress on my "to do" list...
- Tint has been removed on the rear glass and quarter windows. Car looks much cleaner with that nice, crisp factory glass. (so as not to get flamed, I do love tint and always have it on my daily... just think the clean look is better on this car, personally).
- Replacement interior trim piece to replace the right side center console piece with the dated phone holder being sourced from LA Dismantlers.
- New front valance/spoiler ordered.
- V1 Hardwired (ditching the currently installed K40).
- Lloyd mats received (just as we were rolling out of the driveway for fall break, so not yet installed).
- New wheels on order. Went with BBS CH-Rs in "Brilliant Silver". 9x19" ET 53 (245/35) front, 12x19" ET45 (325/30) rear with Michelin PS4S. I've always loved these wheels... very classic German design. I've never seen them look bad on a car. Thanks to David at Wheels Boutique for his help... He was absolutely great to work with. Will post photos once they arrive and are on the car. Also excited to try the PS4S. Have had several sets of Super Sports, but have read great things about the new version.

Next on the list... lowering. I'm inclined to go with Eibach Pro springs, as Eibach are always great and the drop looks appropriate to my eye. But I've searched and read pretty extensively here and it sounds like lowering springs can shorten the life of the PASM? Some suggest that the springs from GMG do not have the same effect, but I find that hard to believe (if one does, assume they all do). Granted, the stock shocks/struts on the car are 9 years old now, but only have 26k on them and I'd like to get as much life out of them as possible. Not quite ready to replace the whole setup with coilovers, etc. (read good things about Bilstein B8 and B16.) But, I could be talked in to it if labor is not that much more. Would appreciate any comments/thoughts on this topic.

I also read really great things about the TPC DSC module. I'll put it on the list, but not sure I want to pull the trigger on that yet.

As a general statement, I think what I'm going for with this car could be deemed "enhanced stock". Hence my choices such as no tints, simple, classic BBS wheels, slight drop, etc. I'd love to hear any more suggestions for mods that go well with this theme.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:37 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

Sweet mother mercy, nice upcoming mods, and amazing looking car. They keep getting better each month we drive them. HAVE FUN! We're blessed to own cool cars like this.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:27 AM
IndyM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rob Burgoyne
I also bought an arctic silver turbo with the super cool Porsche phone. It actually came with two car phones, one being carbon fiber, hahah. I have yellow deviated stitching so finding replacement center console pieces without the giant hole from the phone mount has been impossible. I modded it with a magnet mount for my Cobb AP.

https://imgur.com/a/0SDCZ
Very resourceful, Rob... Well played!
Old 10-17-2017, 01:28 AM
IndyM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Sweet mother mercy, nice upcoming mods, and amazing looking car. They keep getting better each month we drive them. HAVE FUN! We're blessed to own cool cars like this.
Thanks for the kind words, Steve! Yes, very lucky to have these cars around. My wife and 4 little kids come first, then work... but I always find time for my Porsches.

Quick Reply: New Member Intro - 2009 997.1 TT