Sponsored by:

Dead battery Hood close

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 11:50 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Dead battery Hood close

For those of you who have not had this situation happen. I just had it happen to me after I left the car unhooked from the battery tender for 2 weeks.

Of course I looked at youtube and found 3 videos to how to open the hood with a dead battery but I still cant have it open.

I tried in sequence, with a AGM battery starter, positive cable first then negative cable next, power on the starter and press on the electronic switch to the hood. Nothing. Tried it different times with different negative poles. Nothing.

So now I plan to pull over another car next to it to use its battery. I have 3 german cars and 1 Range rover and got damn where is the battery? Good thing I have my Nissan Pathfinder and the battery is where its suppose to be. Pulled it over, connected the cables in sequence again, positive then negative, still nothing.

I give up. Ive been trying for an hour and still nothing.

Before I cleaned up me mess, I decided to click the key fob for unlatch the hood, then bingo, it opened.

Talk about a simple problem and complex solution.

So remember, click both inside switch and key fob after you attach the cables before you give up.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:17 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

^ Yep, was thinking that was going to be your problem when I saw your thread title..

I've never had this issue myself, but Ive read enough to know ya gotta use the fob..
Old 09-29-2017, 08:11 AM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 115 Posts

I store my P cars with the hood unlatched, the window down and the tender on just for this reason. I was bit once too.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:36 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Now my RS is not opening too. I think somebody is pulling a prank on me.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:44 PM
512bb
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Get yourself one of those "car jumper" batteries that connect to the cigarette lighter. Plug it into the cigarette lighter, hit the button and the frunk opens.

If the cables to the battery are disconnected (e.g., you removed the ground) or the battery has a disconnected cell, then you are shyte out of luck and need to follow the manual opening process which is a royal pain and involved removing a wheel, fender liner, etc.

Good luck.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:43 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

I just picked up a lithium jumper pack, $50 at Costco. Comes in it's own very compact zippered semi-hard case, easily slips under the passenger seat.

Definitely becoming a 'standard accessory' for Porsches, along with a good trickle charger! The good thing about lithium batteries is they have a very low self-discharge rate, so it's unlikely to be dead when you finally do need it. It comes with a cigarette lighter adapter as well, but i believe it is for charging rather than connecting power, but it might back-feed enough to pop the frunk? Good part is that not only will it pop your frunk, but jump start your car so you can recharge your dead battery.

Quick Reply: Dead battery Hood close