Sponsored by:

Drop link question on PASM struts

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 11:22 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop link question on PASM struts

So after I installed the 2007 pasm struts the only aftermarket items I had on the car were an RSS adjustable sway bar and TRG adjustable drop links. My driver side sway bar bushing kept popping out which made me think the bar was bent. The adjustable links showing less thread hence being shorter on the passenger side also made me question the bar.

I bought a used OEM stock bar and I had 2 pairs of the OEM end links. One was the 2007 version and the other was a part number that preceded the original but they were exactly the same. At this point I'm excited to go back to stock and be done with issues like bushings popping out.

Unfortunately though, the shop which has a former Porsche tech doing the work on my car installs everything and tells me there is a problem when at full lock and that the end links/drop links are hitting something. When I pick the car up those drop links are bent. By chance I had a pair of OEM drop links that I assume go on a 996 GT2 or GT3. They attache to the spindle instead of the top part of the strut and are hence shorter.

The shop tells me these worked with no issues and that is what is on my car now. I'm confused because I have all the stock parts but they could not make them work. Dose anyone know if the current set up attaching to the spindle is ok?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 09-22-2017, 12:48 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

What does your alignment look like? Do you have adjustable LCAs which have extra caster dialed in?

The stock suspension only works well within the stock alignment specs of the car, which are super conservative up front (i.e. less than 1 degree of camber up front).
Old 09-22-2017, 12:50 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You may have had the wrong oem bar? Your current setup should work.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:50 AM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by Catorce
What does your alignment look like? Do you have adjustable LCAs which have extra caster dialed in?

The stock suspension only works well within the stock alignment specs of the car, which are super conservative up front (i.e. less than 1 degree of camber up front).
going to look into that. Thanks
Old 09-23-2017, 06:55 AM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
You may have had the wrong oem bar? Your current setup should work.
You have a point. It's a 2008 ft oem bar. Different part number than 2007 ft bar. I was told since o7 was coupes only the diameter was a little smaller.

In 2008 Diam was thicker due to intro of vert. I was told the shape was same only difference was diameter. So I went with those bushings to allow for that.

Does anyone know different?

Thanks,

Tom

Quick Reply: Drop link question on PASM struts