Sponsored by:

Refinish HRE's

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 12:31 PM
Lester53
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Refinish HRE's

I recently purchased a 997TT. One of the things I want to look into is having the wheels refinished.

The barrels appear to be painted (matching body color) and the paint has chipped in several places. I'm probably going to look at powder coating, but I'm looking for any insight others might have.

I like the current 2-tone look, but haven't made any final decisions there.

I'm in OC, CA and would appreciate any recommendations for trusted local shops. If possible, I may do the brake calipers at the same time because they have faded.

I don't have an extra set of wheels so I will be high and dry while this is happening.

I've seen the warnings on the HRE site about not using other vendors, but it seems to me that there must be others (closer and more affordable) that know what they are doing.

Anyone have experience and/or recommendations?

Old 09-09-2017, 03:02 PM
Artwerks
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Car is looking good! Welcome to the club.
I agree with you that the wheels need refinishing, but only because I hate black wheels. Black wheels are just a fad anyways.
Here's my unsolicited opinion: have the wheels powder coated matching slate gray and have the lip polished. You'll get that two tone look you like; the color will be dark enough to make your big reds pop; and, you'll be sticking with Porsche factory theme -- OEM Turbo wheels are polished aluminum faces with body-color-painted insets.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:27 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Apparently powder coating forged wheels can weaken the structure of the alloy. Some companies specifically ask that you don't powder coat their wheels (Champion I believe).

Last edited by nzskater; 09-09-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:41 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

HRE's are all powder coated. You hear this so much but I have had my wheels powder coated with no issues. Only problem is you can't polish or touch up powder coat. If they get chipped, hard to fix. But it's so durable that a pant chip is difficult to get. Paint is easier to touch up but it's not as durable. Most companies are powder coating due to less environmental regulations. My take. My center lock Porsche wheels are powder coated satin Black.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:05 PM
Lester53
Intermediate

Originally Posted by atcbi5
HRE's are all powder coated. You hear this so much but I have had my wheels powder coated with no issues. Only problem is you can't polish or touch up powder coat. If they get chipped, hard to fix. But it's so durable that a pant chip is difficult to get. Paint is easier to touch up but it's not as durable. Most companies are powder coating due to less environmental regulations. My take. My center lock Porsche wheels are powder coated satin Black.
That's my take as well. It certainly can be done and as you mentioned HRE's and others are powder coated.

My understanding is that you have to be careful to not bake them at too high a temp or too long. What I don't know is how unique HRE's process is, how sensitive the process is (would you have to seriously over do it to have problems)?

That's why I'm on here asking if anyone knows of a reputable and OC local shop that can do it the proper way.

Thanks for the input.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:25 PM
HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

It's not the act of powdercoating which is bad, it's bad practices in powdercoating that we would want to avoid that could potentially happen. Powdercoating baking temperatures for example if too high of left in the oven for too long will diminish the structural integrity of the wheel, that's just plain fact, so of course we'll be a bit hesitant to recommend you have your HRE's refinished elsewhere. Being the manufacturer of course we understand exactly how these wheels should be treated, but to clarify you're good to have them stripped and repowdercoated, we just don't know how well it would be done unless it was done by us. We're just in San Diego if you want to make the drive down to have your wheels refinished.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:08 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

If you wish to keep away from Powder coating all together we can certainly help you with this project, however we do offer PC now but of course only for certain elements of the process. Our pricing is very competitive so you won't have to shell out too much to have them looking in tip top shape.

If you would like to see more of our work please go to our site and click under the REFINISHING tab so see more.

www.wheeldynamics.com

Mild to wild we've got you covered, we are located in South El Monte, only 30-40 minutes from the OC

Last edited by Wheel Dynamics; 09-11-2017 at 02:10 PM. Reason: subscribe
Old 09-11-2017, 08:33 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brother uses this plastic wrap out of a can. You just tape the tires if you want or break the bead then after cleaning and all, spray it on. Looks great. He did this dark bronze on his Z06 Orange Corvette...excellent! Peels off easy, rince and repeat.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:01 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Artwerks
Car is looking good! Welcome to the club.
I agree with you that the wheels need refinishing, but only because I hate black wheels. Black wheels are just a fad anyways.
Here's my unsolicited opinion: have the wheels powder coated matching slate gray and have the lip polished. You'll get that two tone look you like; the color will be dark enough to make your big reds pop; and, you'll be sticking with Porsche factory theme -- OEM Turbo wheels are polished aluminum faces with body-color-painted insets.
Second this. Body color on gray cars works well and looks classy.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:14 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think those rims you have now look great. The inner design is what makes it. Those ugly five spoke replicas and the black with gray lip that mimmick traditional BBS rims are so ugly too. I would keep what you got. Or get the gray lip painted dark, dark gray.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:36 AM
Lester53
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HRE_Jurrian
It's not the act of powdercoating which is bad, it's bad practices in powdercoating that we would want to avoid that could potentially happen. Powdercoating baking temperatures for example if too high of left in the oven for too long will diminish the structural integrity of the wheel, that's just plain fact, so of course we'll be a bit hesitant to recommend you have your HRE's refinished elsewhere. Being the manufacturer of course we understand exactly how these wheels should be treated, but to clarify you're good to have them stripped and repowdercoated, we just don't know how well it would be done unless it was done by us. We're just in San Diego if you want to make the drive down to have your wheels refinished.
Thanks for the info. I truly appreciate it.

I guess I shouldn't be complaining, you're pretty close. Not like I'm across country or anything.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:38 AM
Lester53
Intermediate

Looks like you guys do some very nice work.

Originally Posted by Wheel Dynamics
If you wish to keep away from Powder coating all together we can certainly help you with this project, however we do offer PC now but of course only for certain elements of the process. Our pricing is very competitive so you won't have to shell out too much to have them looking in tip top shape.

If you would like to see more of our work please go to our site and click under the REFINISHING tab so see more.

www.wheeldynamics.com

Mild to wild we've got you covered, we are located in South El Monte, only 30-40 minutes from the OC

Old 09-12-2017, 02:26 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

No offense at all to RL sponsors above, but I'm a 20+ year local customer of Wheel Enhancement and have the highest trust in them. Call Dave, whatever he tells you, you can take as Gospel.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:17 AM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jcnesq
No offense at all to RL sponsors above, but I'm a 20+ year local customer of Wheel Enhancement and have the highest trust in them. Call Dave, whatever he tells you, you can take as Gospel.
We take no offense, I would highly suggest a call to each shop to compare is all.....

www.wheeldynamics.com
Old 09-15-2017, 03:18 AM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Lester53
Looks like you guys do some very nice work.
Thank you sir,

Quick Reply: Refinish HRE's