Sponsored by:

Sports chrono

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 06:52 PM
Carguy1
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sports chrono

I am new to Porsche and find myself very confused what sports chrono is. I am looking at a 2013 turbo s 911. I pulled up the build sheet and sports chrono is not mentioned in the options. There is a Hump in the dash with some type of gauge looking at the pictures. Does sports chro have anything to do with launch control, the sport control, and the sport track control button? My concern is would this car have these controls if it does not have sport chrono?

Thanks for your help
Old 09-15-2017, 01:20 AM
caslca
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The official 997.2 TTS brochure says this:

The Sport Chrono Package Turbo with dynamic engine mount system (standard on 911 Turbo S models) provides PDK with two additional functions, ‘Launch Control’ and ‘motor sport-derived gearshift strategy’ (page 60). PDK – sporty, comfortable and
efficient. Characteristics that have been given some thought else-where too: in the specification for the 911 Turbo model range.

So looks like 997.2TTS comes with sport chrono out of the factory(which gives you launch control, dynamic engine mounts and I think the sport button). If it is marked as TTS from the factory and you see the hump then you get all the bells & whistles.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:00 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

If it has the 'sport' button, or is a PDK car and has both a 'sport' and 'sport plus' button on the center stack, it has Sports Chrono.

On 997.2 cars, especially with PDK, it's highly desirable not for the stupid timer wart, but for the more aggressive PDK programming.

I don't know for sure on the 2012 Turbo S, but on a 2010 Turbo (non S), the first year for 997.2 Turbo's, it was an option. Sounds like it was bundled into the Turbo S, which makes sense.

From the 2010 Turbo order guide:
640: Sport Chrono Package Turbo Including Dynamic Engine Mounting $3,470
Analog and digital chronometer, sport button in the center console and display in the PCM, also adds ability to adjust lighting, wipers, AC and door locking to suit personal preference. Additionally, adds dynamic engine mounting. In conjunction with PDK, includes Sports Plus button in center console to activate launch control function (Race start). Note: In conjunction with PDK, price is $3830.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:11 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 435 Posts

I have no idea what my sports chrono thing is but it looks cool and my friends wonder what it is too. I have no use for it, I barely ever put the car in Sports Plus mode (really? In street traffic? It's kind of absurd in the bumper to bumper we traffic we have here in DC).

Once I was playing with the controls on a long trip and I figured out how to set the sports chrono. It was completely superfluous to my life, but I was super stoked to finally get it to work.

I would never be able to remember what I pressed to activate it. I don't care either. I'm a simpleton. I drive my car and just adore this car. I don't use any of the cool features other than simply driving it and enjoying it.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:38 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

I'm starting to want a PDK car!!
Old 09-15-2017, 03:03 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S

I have no idea what my sports chrono thing is but it looks cool and my friends wonder what it is too. I have no use for it, I barely ever put the car in Sports Plus mode (really? In street traffic? It's kind of absurd in the bumper to bumper we traffic we have here in DC).

Once I was playing with the controls on a long trip and I figured out how to set the sports chrono. It was completely superfluous to my life, but I was super stoked to finally get it to work.

I would never be able to remember what I pressed to activate it. I don't care either. I'm a simpleton. I drive my car and just adore this car. I don't use any of the cool features other than simply driving it and enjoying it.

Maybe a Prius would serve you well at much lower cost?

Don't use Sport Chrono that often and do way to much local traffic driving, but there are times you need (or want) to use these cars for what they were designed for (why else have them?). A push of the button and they go from incredible to ferocious. Try it, you might like it!
Old 09-15-2017, 03:06 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

I have no idea what my sports chrono thing is but it looks cool
"Is that you in that beautiful car? Geez, what a waste of machinery!"
Old 09-15-2017, 04:29 AM
jazzwu
Advanced

How many times have you pushed your car? Basically putting your car in sports plus mode and lay the hammer down. Or sports plus, psm off, and launch control from a dig. In my strong honest opinion/view, a big part of the appeal of our turbo s is launch control from a stop.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:09 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by jcnesq
Maybe a Prius would serve you well at much lower cost?
Old 09-15-2017, 07:53 PM
Carguy1
4th Gear

Thanks so much. I now understand sports chrono. While it is not shown as a selected option on the build sheet on the 2013 turbo s I am looking at it appears to have this option. It has the dash gauge as well as the sport as well as the sport comp buttons. Odd that it does not show on build sheet. Perhaps it was included with turbo s package in 2013.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:02 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carguy1
Odd that it does not show on build sheet.
It's a common problem when looking at modern 911 build sheets... Different 'options' are included at different trim levels, and if you aren't familiar with the bundled option differences between say a Base, S, GTS, Turbo, Turbo S you usually can't tell from the build sheet.

It can also be a problem with option packages... Sometimes when you order a particular option package, the build sheet shows all the individual options included in the package (premium package for example). Other option packages do not show all the individual options but the option package only.

Really the only way to figure it all out if your not very familiar with the particular model is to have both the build sheet and the original order guide for the model year, but it has also become increasingly difficult to get pdf copies of order guides.

Quick Reply: Sports chrono