Sponsored by:

Advice on 997 Turbo S vs other cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 01:03 AM
theplings
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ores
Update: made the mistake of test driving an early mclaren MP4 12C. Values have really dropped and although still more expensive than an R8 5.2, not by that much any longer. Wondering where are values headed on those.... anyone own one or can advise if to actually consider one?
​​​​​​
Old 09-06-2017, 10:30 AM
ores
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theplings
OK.... that kind of kills it for me. Thank you for sharing. Will stick with the PTT
Old 09-06-2017, 03:08 PM
strato58
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 66 Posts

Porsche for me period. Reliable, drivable and exotic enough.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:31 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,463 Posts

May I ask why would you avoid the tip? I realize that it's an auto not a dual clutch, but other than the obvious is there another reason? Resale perhaps?
Definitely resale... Tiptronics do not have nearly the appeal on 997.1 generation cars as manuals. I'd say at least a $10K hit vs. a manual, possibly even more as that is usually the first criteria filtered out by enthusiast buyers.

Before PDK, they were a bit more acceptable, folks who didn't like clutches, had commutes with lots of traffic, etc. but with PDK, buyers can have their cake and eat it too and Tiptronics have tanked.

If you are wiling to buy a tip anyway, keep looking... They are slow sellers and you should be able to find a very nice one at a far better price than the two you linked to.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:19 AM
ores
Advanced

Originally Posted by pfbz
Definitely resale... Tiptronics do not have nearly the appeal on 997.1 generation cars as manuals. I'd say at least a $10K hit vs. a manual, possibly even more as that is usually the first criteria filtered out by enthusiast buyers.

Before PDK, they were a bit more acceptable, folks who didn't like clutches, had commutes with lots of traffic, etc. but with PDK, buyers can have their cake and eat it too and Tiptronics have tanked.

If you are wiling to buy a tip anyway, keep looking... They are slow sellers and you should be able to find a very nice one at a far better price than the two you linked to.
Thank you for the input. I hear you about selling slow. They just sit. The red one a considered has an accident report on the carafe so it's out. There is a local one near me with 17K miles but the ask is 78k and it's.... tiptronic again. I actually don't mind the tip - it is still a very special car to drive and I can always offer a lowball offer (68? 70?). I also test drove a 997 GT3 which was really cool
Old 09-11-2017, 06:17 PM
Tubbehh
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the input. I hear you about selling slow. They just sit. The red one a considered has an accident report on the carafe so it's out. There is a local one near me with 17K miles but the ask is 78k and it's.... tiptronic again. I actually don't mind the tip - it is still a very special car to drive and I can always offer a lowball offer (68? 70?). I also test drove a 997 GT3 which was really cool
Not me, but my dad got a 2008 Guards Red Turbo cab a couple months ago with Tiptronic. 27k miles. I think he paid around 64.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:49 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

I have a V10 R8 it's great. I don't like the stares and questions where ever I go though. I will get a Turbo S if I find a nice blue one. When you grow up adoring the 911 all your life, it's in your destiny to always have one around. Porsche is run by freaks like us (I believe) so it will always be great...I hope.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:09 AM
ores
Advanced

Originally Posted by oceancarrera
I have a V10 R8 it's great. I don't like the stares and questions where ever I go though. I will get a Turbo S if I find a nice blue one. When you grow up adoring the 911 all your life, it's in your destiny to always have one around. Porsche is run by freaks like us (I believe) so it will always be great...I hope.
Finally someone who can give me honest feedback on the V10R8... Is your manual? If so, is the manual annoying after a while due to the constant 'clicks' from the gated shifter? How would you compare it to a 997TT (other than the attention?)
Old 09-12-2017, 12:38 AM
oceancarrera
Instructor

I have an R-tronic. I here the manual is okay and desirable. But if have to change the clutch the motor has to come out. The S tronic is much better if you want to do nothing like all automatics...snore. At least mine you have to learn it to make it work good...I love it. The car is special in it's own German exotic way..unique not at all Italian/british but not better just different.

Quick Reply: Advice on 997 Turbo S vs other cars