Advice on 997 Turbo S vs other cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 08:10 PM
ores
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on 997 Turbo S vs other cars

Hi folks,
After a brief ownership of a faulty 996TT (long story), I am looking for a replacement. I am considering the following 3 very different beasts and since this is a rather lively forum I figured I might get some feedback from real enthusiasts.
My choices are:
1. 997 Turbo S 2011 (PDK obviously)
2. Audi R8 V10 manual 2011/2012
3. Bentley Continental Supersports 2010

All 3 can be bought for approximately the same price, give or take. I do realize the Bentley is not as driver focused as the other two, but I find it intriguing although haven't driven it yet (will tomorrow). There are two other factors guiding my decision - projected depreciation over the next few years and maintenance cost. I know the 911 holds on to value well, but don't know about the 911 S PDK. The R8 have been holding strong (even though there is a new model out). I have no idea what would happen to the Bentley now that there is a new Supersports out + an entirely new Continental GT is coming out 2018/2019. The MSRP of the bentley was 280K...crazy money. Thank you in advance for any responses

Last edited by ores; 08-31-2017 at 09:58 PM. Reason: forgot
Old 08-31-2017, 11:53 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 854 Likes on 435 Posts

I would only get the car that you LOVE more than the others, after having driven it for 40 minutes somewhere, anywhere, in a variety of settings.

I wouldn't worry about which would depreciate the most in 2-3 years since only truly, time will tell. I love having the back seat room of the 911 when I have things to lug around, and the trunk in the hood is actually quite spacious.

I would never, ever consider buying the other 2 cars you listed. I adore them both, but they are definitely, not me, at all. The Porsche 911 Turbo S is SO ME.

I can't get enough of my car. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the same price range. No other car in the $95-110k range would ever suit me as well as the car I already have.

I really like the look of the Audi, but it's not me.
I REALLY like the look of the beastly, portly, ultra heavy and ultra classy Bentley, but it's absolutely not me.

Get what's "you", after driving the cars and really doing a bunch of walk arounds around the 3 various cars.

Steve
Old 09-01-2017, 01:07 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,021 Likes on 1,269 Posts

In to see what becomes of this. I just found a couple of 997 TT's I'm looking at as well. Was in the market for a 996TT but might step up to the 997.1 instead.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:17 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

Id go r8 v10
Old 09-01-2017, 08:52 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

LOL. Reminds me of Sesame Street in a bit they called "one of these things just doesn't belong"... what is the Bentley doing on this list? Night and day difference between a rocket powered boat and a finely tuned sports car. Anyway I digress.

OP should probably decide what his car purchasing objective is prior to searching for a car. JMHO
Old 09-01-2017, 09:54 AM
ores
Advanced

Originally Posted by Big Swole
In to see what becomes of this. I just found a couple of 997 TT's I'm looking at as well. Was in the market for a 996TT but might step up to the 997.1 instead.
Originally Posted by Domer911
LOL. Reminds me of Sesame Street in a bit they called "one of these things just doesn't belong"... what is the Bentley doing on this list? Night and day difference between a rocket powered boat and a finely tuned sports car. Anyway I digress.

OP should probably decide what his car purchasing objective is prior to searching for a car. JMHO
That's correct the bentley is the oddball here but there is a reason why it's here - there simply aren't that many choices out there. I was also shopping for a GT4, which would fit this list more, but didn't connect with it as much as I hoped although it's amazing in it's own way. Maybe I needed more seat time, maybe it was the very silly looking wing. Certainly a raw car.

I was also considering a ZR1 but took it off the list due to the horrible build quality.

I test drove an Evora 400, new. Things literally started breaking on the test drive (side mirrors stopped working). Charming car though with lots of presence.

There are just not many choices without going Italian which I refuse to do. This is why the Bentley is here on this list, even though it is not a pure driver's car.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:24 PM
ores
Advanced

Well I just test drove the Supersports. My initial response was 'wow' regarding the incredible brute bower.. after about 5-10 min. however, I could see how the non communicative steering, bulky feel and vulgar looks (at least to me) would become old fast. Totally not me but had to try. Now it's just down to R8V10 or 997 Turbo S.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:42 AM
nicoff
Racer

The sound of the engine of the R8 is incredible. Ah, and keep in mind that it is a very noticeable supercar (much more so than the Porsche).
Old 09-02-2017, 01:45 AM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Every time I am close to buying another non-Porsche sports car, I wind up buying.....another Porsche.

It happened recently where I was shopping for wifey, who wanted a Maserati coupe. The Maser was fast, well built, and had a great exhaust note - Really impressive. So of course, we instantly bought......wait for it....a 2009 911 Turbo.

The bottom line is this, the 997 TT has depreciated as far as it will go, is holding, and is even rising incrementally at this point. The rest of the cars you mentioned - especially the Bentley, are losers from a value statement and are still sinking.

But it's not all about money. The TT is a fast, fast car stock and is very mod friendly and capable of unbelievable power levels.

Oh, and your comment about not going Italian? The R8 shares tons of parts with it's Lamborghini siblings (namely engines), and Lambo, Audi and Bentley (and Porsche) are all owned by the VW group, so you are really only looking at one marque when the dust settles.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:46 AM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by nicoff
The sound of the engine of the R8 is incredible. Ah, and keep in mind that it is a very noticeable supercar (much more so than the Porsche).
Yes, I have noticed that R8s are very noticeable in my rear view mirror
Old 09-02-2017, 01:06 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

So I googled pics of the R8 you were comparing the Turbo S to. Nice looking vehicle. It wouldn't be something I'd personally buy as it's too "hot" for me and noticeable but I see why others would want one. I like to fly under the radar more and my car is less noticeable (to me at least).

Both of these cars are for sale on Ebay now for about the same price... as a comparison. Both are from the same model year, too.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:25 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Just for sh*ts and giggles on a boring, rainy Saturday morning, I googled the other car too, the one you ruled out and I can see the allure, but it's not really a Turbo S replacement car or "instead of" car. I drove one of these once for 15 minutes.

My friend owned a black one and it was exciting, VERY heavy feeling, fast for the size and I felt like a multimillionaire driving it. It's looks were appealing but it wasn't something I would want to own or live with, nor is it "under the radar" enough for me. The wheels were massive on it. Too outlandish looking, but I do love it.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:56 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 533 Posts

Passed a white Bentley cab on the freeway in L.A. yesterday. Gorgeous, but can't imagine driving one.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:14 PM
ores
Advanced

Thank you for some great responses. The more I look at the Audi the less I now like it. It seems to me it won't last the test of time in therms of its looks and what is up with that side blade, looks like a giant bandaid. I looked at some more 997 and thought maybe I could save a few dollars and give the 997TT (non S) a chance. A week ago or so when in NY I test drove a 997TT, 2007, auto. It was pristine with very little miles. We took it on the west side hwy. Not a single rattle. Super solid. Handles like a champ and and just super refined. Didn't bother me that it was a non PDK. It didn't have sports seats though. This is the car:

https://manhattan.porschedealer.com/...7+Black+997557

Any thoughts on this one above?

This is another cool one of the same vintage with ridiculously low miles. What do you guys think of the build and the color?
http://www.porschefairfield.com/deta...-16727561.html
Old 09-02-2017, 07:25 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

I like the Audi but there have been numerous engine fires with the v10 in both r8s and lambos. They simply did not leave enough room for the engine to breathe.
Go 911 Turbo for the win!

Quick Reply: Advice on 997 Turbo S vs other cars