Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on 997 Turbo S vs other cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 07:30 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

By comparing the two cars above, I can tell you that the red Turbo is more desirable and at least worth between $5-$7kmore than the black car in used market. Both are great example but I'll take the red car with better options than black Turbo. Good luck.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:40 PM
ores
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gotgolf52
By comparing the two cars above, I can tell you that the red Turbo is more desirable and at least worth between $5-$7kmore than the black car in used market. Both are great example but I'll take the red car with better options than black Turbo. Good luck.
Interesting! I didn't realize red is a desirable color on a 911 as so many are black/grey/silver etc.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:50 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

No I am not talking about color because it is subjective from person to person. Red car has better and more expensive options from factory and look like new interior. Two very critical options are PCCB (ceramic brakes) and Adaptive Sport Seats. Both are about $15k additional options from factory.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:54 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,967 Likes on 2,045 Posts

I would personally go with the Turbo S, then the R8, then the Supersports. Although the R8 is a great car, and a very special one, to me the Turbo just feels like a more special car, maybe that has to do with the Porsche badge on the front of it, maybe that is the interior, but I would go for the Turbo S. However, like many others have mentioned, the R8 is going to get you a ton of looks, whereas the Turbo S will get you some looks.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:43 PM
Dodaleca
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

The red car has a much more expensive build (~$20k more options as the black car is very basic) - ensure that the PCCB system still has a lot of life left in it as rotors are ~ $4k -$5k each I think. Also the adaptive sport seats are much more desirable if you fit and find them more comfortable over the base seats.

The red car is half a year older with very low mileage - ensure that it's been properly serviced (on time intervals versus mileage?) and stored as it wasn't driven much (it appears that the black car wasn't driven much more either).

Neither has LSD (Option 220) specified.

As an aside I've noted online in the past when I was looking to buy that when there have been comparison tests between the R8 v10 and Porsche turbo that the Porsche usually won. The Audi's naturally aspirated engine certainly sounds great but I'd rather have the better car (plus the back seat gives me options with the kids as opposed to having to take only one at a time for a ride!).
Old 09-02-2017, 08:54 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

I would avoid the Tip. Either get a PDK or preferably a 6MT
Old 09-03-2017, 12:32 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by gotgolf52
No I am not talking about color because it is subjective from person to person. Red car has better and more expensive options from factory and look like new interior. Two very critical options are PCCB (ceramic brakes) and Adaptive Sport Seats. Both are about $15k additional options from factory.
That red car is a unicorn. OMG... just get it now, tomorrow, run to that store and plunk down cash. It is one of the lowest mileage 07's you'd ever find for sale. Amazing car. You'll never see another one like it in your home town for sure. The wheels REALLY set it off.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:06 AM
ores
Advanced

Originally Posted by Catorce
I would avoid the Tip. Either get a PDK or preferably a 6MT
May I ask why would you avoid the tip? I realize that it's an auto not a dual clutch, but other than the obvious is there another reason? Resale perhaps?
Old 09-03-2017, 02:08 AM
ores
Advanced

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
That red car is a unicorn. OMG... just get it now, tomorrow, run to that store and plunk down cash. It is one of the lowest mileage 07's you'd ever find for sale. Amazing car. You'll never see another one like it in your home town for sure. The wheels REALLY set it off.
Lol - I am on the west coast and knowing east coast dealerships they are probably closed tomorrow but I will try calling them in the AM. With my luck it probably sold today
Old 09-03-2017, 02:09 AM
ores
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dodaleca
The red car has a much more expensive build (~$20k more options as the black car is very basic) - ensure that the PCCB system still has a lot of life left in it as rotors are ~ $4k -$5k each I think. Also the adaptive sport seats are much more desirable if you fit and find them more comfortable over the base seats.

The red car is half a year older with very low mileage - ensure that it's been properly serviced (on time intervals versus mileage?) and stored as it wasn't driven much (it appears that the black car wasn't driven much more either).

Neither has LSD (Option 220) specified.

As an aside I've noted online in the past when I was looking to buy that when there have been comparison tests between the R8 v10 and Porsche turbo that the Porsche usually won. The Audi's naturally aspirated engine certainly sounds great but I'd rather have the better car (plus the back seat gives me options with the kids as opposed to having to take only one at a time for a ride!).
Thank you for posting the build sheet on those. Very helpful!
Old 09-03-2017, 02:23 AM
ores
Advanced

Originally Posted by ores
Lol - I am on the west coast and knowing east coast dealerships they are probably closed tomorrow but I will try calling them in the AM. With my luck it probably sold today
I think those wheels are not a part of the build but added later. It says 19 turbo wheels 404 on the build. This sort of remind me of older Porsches from the 1970s...
Old 09-03-2017, 10:21 AM
Dodaleca
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ores
I think those wheels are not a part of the build but added later. It says 19 turbo wheels 404 on the build. This sort of remind me of older Porsches from the 1970s...
Yes they are not the original wheels and look like the earlier Fuchs or replicas of.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:31 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dodaleca
Yes they are not the original wheels and look like the earlier Fuchs or replicas of.
Go RED, and BTW I think the wheels are OEM Porsche. At least you can buy them from Porsche and I have seen them on other 911's.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:28 PM
Jedi
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like the wheels are the 19" Sport classics. I put a set on my 08 Turbo, like the look. They were a Porsche option between 09-12, Suncoast Porsche has them on sale at $4395 regular $5495.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:00 PM
ores
Advanced

Update: made the mistake of test driving an early mclaren MP4 12C. Values have really dropped and although still more expensive than an R8 5.2, not by that much any longer. Wondering where are values headed on those.... anyone own one or can advise if to actually consider one?

Quick Reply: Advice on 997 Turbo S vs other cars