Old 08-21-2017, 01:56 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 999 Likes on 601 Posts

Exciting stuff! Go Manuals!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 08-24-2017, 01:18 AM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Got her all put together today! Starting with little details and break in procedure. Here's just a few pictures. Will try to gather more of the entire project in depth...

Old 08-24-2017, 07:10 AM
IMI A
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Catorce

My 997TT build used Tial Xona 3073
Can you tell us a little bit more about these turbos and why you chose them pls? What sort of power will they produce for you on pump and when do they start spooling compared to VTGS?
Old 08-24-2017, 12:04 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Looks awesome Sam!!!! Woooohooo!
Old 08-24-2017, 12:05 PM
Catorce
Banned

Originally Posted by IMI A
Can you tell us a little bit more about these turbos and why you chose them pls? What sort of power will they produce for you on pump and when do they start spooling compared to VTGS?
The 3073 Xona is a conventional non VTG turbo. Sam could probably tell you more about them than I can. When I start building my motor in about a month, I'll start a thread detailing the build.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:01 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 91 Posts

Things are progressing. Car is all back together. Sam is breaking in the engine and was kind enough to send me a quick clip of how the exhaust sounds. Let me know what you think! I'm jealous he's getting to drive it. They will start the tuning next week on 93 pump then move to E85. Heat wave was over 100 degrees this week in CA, so not optimal conditions for dyno tuning.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:35 PM
Catorce
Banned

It's ridiculous hot here in socal!
Old 09-08-2017, 07:41 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Ok, quick update. Here's some views on how it turned out on the 93 pump gas results. I'll post comparisons below of standard baseline and new numbers along with corrected baseline and new numbers. Again these are different dynos at different times during the year. Baseline used a dynojet dyno which usually reads higher compared to a mustang dyno which reads much lower. Baseline was also in March where temps are much cooler compared to the temp today in CA was 109 in the dyno room.

Baseline standard uncorrected: 600hp/644tq
New standard uncorrected: 682hp/612tq

Baseline corrected: 583hp/630tq
New corrected: 648hp/583tq

Really pleased with the results especially if you take into considerations the different dyno comparisons and temp issues. The torque curve is much broader and comes on earlier throughout the rpm band.

Planning to do the E85 runs next week!

Let me know what you think.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:45 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Cheers buddy I'm really happy with it. Look how we brought the torque in with cams heads and big turbo chargers! The car is just an animal. Lifts up in third gear and grandes the tires. Can't wait to see what the street beast does on ethanol!

As promised everyone who sends me their car gets this little token...Turn up your speakers and hide the kids !

Old 09-08-2017, 10:00 PM
Catorce
Banned

Nice build, congrats man!!!!
Old 09-08-2017, 10:16 PM
strato58
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

Wow Wow WOW!!
Old 09-15-2017, 12:07 AM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Well my friend, just have to get her cleaned up for Transport! Made it home safe and sound. All I have to say…

This car is rowdy! Leave PSM on. I mean hood just comes up and it screams. Doesn't stop pulling. We cleaned up the power band really good. I added one of the corrected graphs where it corrected to about 745 at the 4 wheels or something. Half an hour runs on ethanol Spun the tires in fourth gear on the dyno! Very clean band and very smooth pull. Delivering the car with the V8 map. Still not the greatest circulation on that dyno but it put down 771 solid on V8 map and I'm really proud of it. Really clean and strong. We went to see what it could do just for the sake of it and version 9 did 799 to the wheels with 834 pounds of torque! Of course 799 right?! Not 801 ha ha. Not sending it to you with that one. Everything's working really great and we wanted to see what it could do. So version eight is clean solid and runs great and you know it's not running at 11. Put the car in normal mode and your mom can drive it. It's like stock. Driving in traffic at 900 RPM and even!

I hope you enjoy it safely my friend. Thanks for give me the opportunity to create this beast and see what we could do with a real solid VTG set up.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:08 AM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Sam - thank you for all the work you and your team have put into this build!!!

I think we've accomplished the objectives we set out to. Ensure we can still daily drive the car but at the same time push the limits with the VTG setup and built forged engine. This car should run mid 140s all day long in the 1/4 mile. The power curve looks awesome. It's good to know it can do 800 to the wheels but to your point, I don't need to run it on "Kill 11 Tune".

While some may certainly feel that bigger turbos would push more power, one of my objectives was to ensure we weren't pushing the car so hard to damage long term other components - transmission, drive train, axles, etc. I'd like to feel confident that every time I blast it I'm not going to break something or better yet create a widow-maker of a car.

Perhaps down the road, if I ever felt I needed more (which I doubt I'll rarely use the power in it except on the track), I can look at bigger turbos. But the more power we start adding here other components start to come in to play - fuel, etc.

Can't wait to get the car back next week, this has been quite the journey and can't say enough about your support through the build process.

Thanks again to you and your crew and for everyone else on the forum providing your positive feedback. I'll update the post later once I get it back with some Vbox runs in Mexico. In the meantime keep your comments coming and let me know what you think.

Regards,
Daniel
Old 09-15-2017, 01:46 PM
Catorce
Banned

Friggin outstanding build. Really nice work here, excellent numbers.

Good job to all involved!
Old 09-15-2017, 02:28 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Cheers Daniel! It was a pleasure working with you and I'm also really proud of my team for getting it done so quickly considering the scope of work. Even when done we had engine break in, three oil changes, some interior components, some suspension and tires, brakes etc. Then 2 dyno sessions and some street tuning.

I don't think he will want to larger turbo chargers. Like I said on the street in clean air she pulls all the way and very nicely. It just leaves you not wanting more especially with the tires spinning. I guess the main thing for me is that there is no boost controller's, gigantic injectors or funny stuff. The car is like factory. To me it's a great place to be. Gives you the pucker factor for sure

Cheers A!

Quick Reply: 997.1 Dguth's Forged 3.8 Engine Build