Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 06:13 PM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S

I just put a set of these on my 09 and I am impressed. no comparison to the Bridgestones that came off the car which of course were older tires. I think everyone knows about the superiority of these tires, the grip, the ride quality and the quietness are all markedly better.
No news here, the reason for my post is to mention that I went to 325/30-19's and 245/35-19's in place of the stock set up. Many posters on this forum advised against it given my stock center lock wheel widths of 9" & 11". Dave at Wheel Enhancement said it was completely acceptable to use these tires with my rims. My car with Cl's (that won't accept wheel spacers) and at stock vehicle height always looked like the rear tires weren't filling the wheel openings very well. Although subtle these larger tires help the opening and bulge just a bit on the rear rims, can't really notice any difference on the fronts. Frankly, can't see why anyone wouldn't do this upsizing when changing their tires. BTW, Dave and Wheel Enhancement gets my highest recommendation. They also just replaced the tires on my SC with an outstanding set of Pirelli Trofeo P Zero R's, love this tires too, but not as much as the Michelin's.
P.S. Sorry about the photo orientation, marginal skills here.....
Attached Images    
Old 08-13-2017, 06:22 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Timely post. I bought my 997tt with new Bridgestones. I really dislike the ride. I've gone back and forth to replace them because they are just like new (less than 3k miles). I'm leaning towards replacing them with Michelin 4s. I'm really looking for a quieter and smoother ride. The roads around here are terrible. If I can go a little wider, I think it would look better as well.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:34 PM
550bryan
Pro

Just noticed in the photo's that my magnetic black rear stone guard was misaligned. I've had these on a couple of months but can't make up my mind whether to have a permanent set made. Any opinions from forum members on the look? Here's a better photo to judge by. If I were to have permanent ones made I would make the leading edge a little shorter.
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2017, 06:39 PM
550bryan
Pro

Originally Posted by ble2011
Timely post. I bought my 997tt with new Bridgestones. I really dislike the ride. I've gone back and forth to replace them because they are just like new (less than 3k miles). I'm leaning towards replacing them with Michelin 4s. I'm really looking for a quieter and smoother ride. The roads around here are terrible. If I can go a little wider, I think it would look better as well.
I was in the same boat, almost new Bridgestone with stiff sidewalls and a noisy tread design, although as everyone realizes everybody's tire get noisier over time as they hear cycle. BTW, my SC also has Bridgestones with the same problems. The S 4's transformed the car, and definitely go for the larger size.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:02 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

orientation completed, lol I have same tire wheel combo!
Old 08-13-2017, 10:05 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks great!
Old 08-14-2017, 12:34 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

I just completed a roundtrip from VA to NC in my TTS with Bridgestone's. They were noisy, rough and uncomfortable. While in NC I drove my friends 12 TTS with Michelin PSS's, what a difference! No more Bridgestone's for me!
Old 08-14-2017, 02:54 PM
550bryan
Pro

And the S 4's are suppose to be even better than the older PSS version.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:44 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

I have the PS4s on the 2007 and I love them. great tire.

Hey I also have an SC that needs new tires....how are you liking the Trofeos on there?
Old 08-15-2017, 12:59 PM
550bryan
Pro

Originally Posted by Catorce
I have the PS4s on the 2007 and I love them. great tire.

Hey I also have an SC that needs new tires....how are you liking the Trofeos on there?
I'm pleasantly surprised at how good the Trofeo's are. I had virtually no choice as my car runs wider than stock 16 in Fuchs with a 245 cross section rear tire. Good luck finding that size rear. If I would have switched to a 225 cross section the choices would be unlimited. It was down to the Bridgestones that were already on the car or the Trofeos. As you know that tire is marketed as a street legal track tire. I did quiet a bit of research and here's what I learned. Reasonably good ride quality (equal to PSS's according to the Audi guys), low tread noise, not good in the rain, not good below 40 degrees, short thread life, and amazing grip. Not that they are on the car they are even better than I expected. Of course tread noise will increase as they age and heat cycle but now they are amazingly quiet. Sidewalls are compliant but seems to have no negative effect on handling. We'll see on tread life, but it's going to be short. The track guys talk in terms on track days, but in my case with a moderately driven street car I'm guessing 6-10 K miles, given me some time and I'll let you know. One other down side, lots of noise from pebbles being thrown up by the sticky tires, they design them that way on purpose to let you know they are working!
P.S. Can I come hang out in your garage? I'm promise not to drool too much on your amazing fleet of machines....
Old 08-16-2017, 04:42 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I daily drive mine and I love them! They are super sensitive to tire pressure. Call me crazy, but I can feel when one of them is off a pound.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:20 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 550bryan
I'm pleasantly surprised at how good the Trofeo's are. I had virtually no choice as my car runs wider than stock 16 in Fuchs with a 245 cross section rear tire. Good luck finding that size rear. If I would have switched to a 225 cross section the choices would be unlimited. It was down to the Bridgestones that were already on the car or the Trofeos. As you know that tire is marketed as a street legal track tire. I did quiet a bit of research and here's what I learned. Reasonably good ride quality (equal to PSS's according to the Audi guys), low tread noise, not good in the rain, not good below 40 degrees, short thread life, and amazing grip. Not that they are on the car they are even better than I expected. Of course tread noise will increase as they age and heat cycle but now they are amazingly quiet. Sidewalls are compliant but seems to have no negative effect on handling. We'll see on tread life, but it's going to be short. The track guys talk in terms on track days, but in my case with a moderately driven street car I'm guessing 6-10 K miles, given me some time and I'll let you know. One other down side, lots of noise from pebbles being thrown up by the sticky tires, they design them that way on purpose to let you know they are working!
P.S. Can I come hang out in your garage? I'm promise not to drool too much on your amazing fleet of machines....
Awesome - Like you, I have 245 rears on the SC. I just noticed Tire Rack has the R888R Toyos in that size now; have them on the RSR Targa and used to have them on the Camaro, way cheaper than the Trofeo as well and very sticky.

Guests always welcome!!! Thank you!
Old 09-04-2017, 02:58 PM
John Belk
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
I just completed a roundtrip from VA to NC in my TTS with Bridgestone's. They were noisy, rough and uncomfortable. While in NC I drove my friends 12 TTS with Michelin PSS's, what a difference! No more Bridgestone's for me!
BK, That would explain why I have no tread left...LoL!!!!
Old 09-05-2017, 12:33 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

What's the side wall height difference between the 325s and 305s? The 325s look slightly pudgier...
Old 09-05-2017, 12:49 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Looks great! Smart choice.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S