Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum-139/)
-   -   Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum/1009037-michelin-pilot-sport-4-s.html)

550bryan 08-13-2017 06:13 PM

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S

3 Attachment(s)
I just put a set of these on my 09 and I am impressed. no comparison to the Bridgestones that came off the car which of course were older tires. I think everyone knows about the superiority of these tires, the grip, the ride quality and the quietness are all markedly better.
No news here, the reason for my post is to mention that I went to 325/30-19's and 245/35-19's in place of the stock set up. Many posters on this forum advised against it given my stock center lock wheel widths of 9" & 11". Dave at Wheel Enhancement said it was completely acceptable to use these tires with my rims. My car with Cl's (that won't accept wheel spacers) and at stock vehicle height always looked like the rear tires weren't filling the wheel openings very well. Although subtle these larger tires help the opening and bulge just a bit on the rear rims, can't really notice any difference on the fronts. Frankly, can't see why anyone wouldn't do this upsizing when changing their tires. BTW, Dave and Wheel Enhancement gets my highest recommendation. They also just replaced the tires on my SC with an outstanding set of Pirelli Trofeo P Zero R's, love this tires too, but not as much as the Michelin's.
P.S. Sorry about the photo orientation, marginal skills here.....

ble2011 08-13-2017 06:22 PM

Timely post. I bought my 997tt with new Bridgestones. I really dislike the ride. I've gone back and forth to replace them because they are just like new (less than 3k miles). I'm leaning towards replacing them with Michelin 4s. I'm really looking for a quieter and smoother ride. The roads around here are terrible. If I can go a little wider, I think it would look better as well.

550bryan 08-13-2017 06:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just noticed in the photo's that my magnetic black rear stone guard was misaligned. I've had these on a couple of months but can't make up my mind whether to have a permanent set made. Any opinions from forum members on the look? Here's a better photo to judge by. If I were to have permanent ones made I would make the leading edge a little shorter.

550bryan 08-13-2017 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by ble2011 (Post 14397593)
Timely post. I bought my 997tt with new Bridgestones. I really dislike the ride. I've gone back and forth to replace them because they are just like new (less than 3k miles). I'm leaning towards replacing them with Michelin 4s. I'm really looking for a quieter and smoother ride. The roads around here are terrible. If I can go a little wider, I think it would look better as well.

I was in the same boat, almost new Bridgestone with stiff sidewalls and a noisy tread design, although as everyone realizes everybody's tire get noisier over time as they hear cycle. BTW, my SC also has Bridgestones with the same problems. The S 4's transformed the car, and definitely go for the larger size.

atcbi5 08-13-2017 09:02 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a6688516d1.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...24f98fcf8d.jpg
orientation completed, lol I have same tire wheel combo!

TT Surgeon 08-13-2017 10:05 PM

Looks great!

4ocious 08-14-2017 12:34 PM

I just completed a roundtrip from VA to NC in my TTS with Bridgestone's. They were noisy, rough and uncomfortable. While in NC I drove my friends 12 TTS with Michelin PSS's, what a difference! No more Bridgestone's for me!

550bryan 08-14-2017 02:54 PM

And the S 4's are suppose to be even better than the older PSS version.

Catorce 08-14-2017 03:44 PM

I have the PS4s on the 2007 and I love them. great tire.

Hey I also have an SC that needs new tires....how are you liking the Trofeos on there?

550bryan 08-15-2017 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Catorce (Post 14400018)
I have the PS4s on the 2007 and I love them. great tire.

Hey I also have an SC that needs new tires....how are you liking the Trofeos on there?

I'm pleasantly surprised at how good the Trofeo's are. I had virtually no choice as my car runs wider than stock 16 in Fuchs with a 245 cross section rear tire. Good luck finding that size rear. If I would have switched to a 225 cross section the choices would be unlimited. It was down to the Bridgestones that were already on the car or the Trofeos. As you know that tire is marketed as a street legal track tire. I did quiet a bit of research and here's what I learned. Reasonably good ride quality (equal to PSS's according to the Audi guys), low tread noise, not good in the rain, not good below 40 degrees, short thread life, and amazing grip. Not that they are on the car they are even better than I expected. Of course tread noise will increase as they age and heat cycle but now they are amazingly quiet. Sidewalls are compliant but seems to have no negative effect on handling. We'll see on tread life, but it's going to be short. The track guys talk in terms on track days, but in my case with a moderately driven street car I'm guessing 6-10 K miles, given me some time and I'll let you know. One other down side, lots of noise from pebbles being thrown up by the sticky tires, they design them that way on purpose to let you know they are working!
P.S. Can I come hang out in your garage? I'm promise not to drool too much on your amazing fleet of machines....

Turboslut 08-16-2017 04:42 PM

I daily drive mine and I love them! They are super sensitive to tire pressure. Call me crazy, but I can feel when one of them is off a pound.

Catorce 08-16-2017 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by 550bryan (Post 14402105)
I'm pleasantly surprised at how good the Trofeo's are. I had virtually no choice as my car runs wider than stock 16 in Fuchs with a 245 cross section rear tire. Good luck finding that size rear. If I would have switched to a 225 cross section the choices would be unlimited. It was down to the Bridgestones that were already on the car or the Trofeos. As you know that tire is marketed as a street legal track tire. I did quiet a bit of research and here's what I learned. Reasonably good ride quality (equal to PSS's according to the Audi guys), low tread noise, not good in the rain, not good below 40 degrees, short thread life, and amazing grip. Not that they are on the car they are even better than I expected. Of course tread noise will increase as they age and heat cycle but now they are amazingly quiet. Sidewalls are compliant but seems to have no negative effect on handling. We'll see on tread life, but it's going to be short. The track guys talk in terms on track days, but in my case with a moderately driven street car I'm guessing 6-10 K miles, given me some time and I'll let you know. One other down side, lots of noise from pebbles being thrown up by the sticky tires, they design them that way on purpose to let you know they are working!
P.S. Can I come hang out in your garage? I'm promise not to drool too much on your amazing fleet of machines....

Awesome - Like you, I have 245 rears on the SC. I just noticed Tire Rack has the R888R Toyos in that size now; have them on the RSR Targa and used to have them on the Camaro, way cheaper than the Trofeo as well and very sticky.

Guests always welcome!!! Thank you!

John Belk 09-04-2017 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by 4ocious (Post 14399619)
I just completed a roundtrip from VA to NC in my TTS with Bridgestone's. They were noisy, rough and uncomfortable. While in NC I drove my friends 12 TTS with Michelin PSS's, what a difference! No more Bridgestone's for me!

BK, That would explain why I have no tread left...LoL!!!! :nono:

Johnny DB 09-05-2017 12:33 PM

What's the side wall height difference between the 325s and 305s? The 325s look slightly pudgier...

Big Swole 09-05-2017 12:49 PM

Looks great! Smart choice.