Another Dension Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 04:51 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

NZ email me. I have most of the firmware versions here. : )

Tell me what you are using.

info@bumperplugs.com

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 08-03-2017, 09:54 AM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Eric, can you clarify what you suggest to fix this issue:
I'll leave shut off the car with Bluetooth streaming music to it.
When I get back in and restart I get the error message and have to go to cd6 and reselect the source as BT.
This happens probably 50% of the time. The other 50% it picks up streaming where it left off. No seeming rhyme or reason.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:12 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by midcont
Eric, can you clarify what you suggest to fix this issue:
I'll leave shut off the car with Bluetooth streaming music to it.
When I get back in and restart I get the error message and have to go to cd6 and reselect the source as BT.
This happens probably 50% of the time. The other 50% it picks up streaming where it left off. No seeming rhyme or reason.
Same here - except its 90% of the time that I have to reset.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:48 AM
midcont
Burning Brakes

To be more specific, the error is "System Error: CD Changer not available", but it does show the bars on the bottom right that the phone is getting reception.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:00 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Ditto.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:42 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

On issues like the above, there are a few things to check.

First a PIWIS connected to the OBD port should verify the CDC is programmed by showing a plus sign in both columns (nominal and actual). Any Porsche tech can do this in 5 minutes. While connected, be sure they have not programmed a phone into the loop too.

Second, power should be ideally from the fuse panel, and must be constant/unswitched.

Third, be sure when you select BT Audio from the Source menu of the Dension that you hold down the FF/Right Arrow key about 5-7 seconds to lock it in.

Last, if nothing else resolves, while car is on, press RESET on the connector port, hold 3 seconds, let go, remove key and let car sit 10 minutes. Before doing this, remove the phone/device from the Dension paired device list, and remove the Dension from your phone's BT device list. Reset phone at same time (hard reset, not just on/off), and be sure phone has latest software installed.

Firmware Version 57 is stable and well-tested for Porsche, V63 is available on the Dension site as well, but 57 is fine if you are running this. If your firmware is earlier, email me at info@bumperplugs.com if you don't have V 57 and want it.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:58 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just installed my Dension kit I purchased from Eric a few months ago. Ran the control bypass unit in glove compartment and riveted in place. Removed entire glove compartment for a clean install and Took my time as I also installed a short shifter while everything is off.

I ran into some issues but Eric was super responsive on answering my questions through the weekend. He was very detailed and didn't get me stranded at all. Blew a fuse and I encountered a CDC issue when I first started it but corrected itself somehow. Phone seem to work now and next is to get music streaming configured
Old 08-16-2017, 01:31 PM
RodneyB
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by atcbi5
MOST( Media Oriented Systems Transport )no pun intended, updates don't even apply to the symptom. Again, I keep telling you this. Foget about it, it's here to stay like orange haired king of the United States. You can't remove the error, it's not the Denisons fault. It's the file in the NAV unit
I believe we were discussing the Dension installs and associated issues, questions etc. and not your personal political bias. I see from your post count you have been around for a while so surly there is a place for this on the forum somewhere you can find.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:47 PM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Update: I continued to run into random pairing issues and/or cd changer errors with software version 63 which was installed in my unit when I received it. I recently downgraded to version 57 and since then I have had zero issues or errors. Stoked!
Old 09-08-2017, 09:46 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Nice. Can someone tell me how to downgrade to version 57?
Old 09-08-2017, 03:18 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We have most of the relevant firmware for the 500SBT...just email us

info@bumperplugs.com

We'll send instructions and firmware.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:29 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Firmware 57 installed ;

Pairing issue resolved.

CD error message still presents, and now cannot forward to next song using car forward button have to press forward on phone.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:55 PM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JG 996T
Firmware 57 installed ;

Pairing issue resolved.

CD error message still presents, and now cannot forward to next song using car forward button have to press forward on phone.
Crap, sorry to hear that. Mine still seems to be hanging in there. Did you try a full reset?
Old 12-08-2017, 11:11 AM
midcont
Burning Brakes

My 50% of the time successful automatic streaming Bluetooth connection ratio seems to have dropped to only connecting automatically 5% of the time. Frustrated, I emailed Dension to open a trouble ticket and this was my response (also asked about the error message).

Thanks for contacting us, the last source problem is known to us ( that you've used BT last time, but next time it jumps to aux when you get back to the car ), sadly yet we were not able to recreate that problem on our end, our developers are working on fixing this issue, I've tagged this conversation, so as soon as something comes up, I will inform you about i.

About the CD Changer problem, this can happen on PCM head units, it doesn't affect the functionality but as you know it is bothering, I will have to ask my colleagues about this problem, but currently they are on sick-leave, so I will try to get back to you on monday about this.

Thanks for your understanding and for your patience!

I wonder if going to an older firmware is going to help this. I will try to unpair and do a reset as well to at least get back to only failing half the time. Thinking about a carplay replacement for the whole unit.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:32 AM
RodneyB
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

The only problem I have experienced with connection to BT was when i updated my phone to iOS 11 back on 10/17. I contacted Eric and was told to disable the phone book sync in my iPhone settings. This cured the problem of switching out of BT and going to AUX over and over. Other than that one issue the only thing that happens about 50% of the time is the "no CD" error message. Sometimes if I open the car but don't start it immediately the phone will connect but has no sound. when this happens I have to disconnect the GW500S from my devises on my phone and re-connect then everything works fine. Since I don't drive the car everyday It takes a bit of fiddling around to get everything working sometimes

Quick Reply: Another Dension Install