Sponsored by:

Another Dension Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 04:59 PM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Another Dension Install

Decided to install a Dension 500S BT this wknd in my 07 Turbo for BT audio streaming. I installed it behind the PCM, with the connections accessible from the glove box. Purchased from Eric at Bumper Plugs, and the support has been amazing. Thought I would share the power/ground locations I used, could be useful for others.

I wired power from unused fuse location B8. I used one of these
 fuse adder gizmos fuse adder gizmos
. I attached the ground wire to a bolt under the pcm unit.

I do not have a CD Changer, but the Bluetooth audio streaming from my iPhone worked after install without needing any dealer programming. I am still going to get my dealer to enable the CD Changer, or in the case that it has already been enabled for some reason, confirm that this is the case.

Ran the power wire through a "hole" in the fuse box. Crimped the power wire to the fuse adder gizmo. Inserted gizmo with 7.5 amp fuse into unused location B8. Last picture is the ground location.
Attached Images     
Old 07-26-2017, 06:11 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Nice - mine throws an error at startup even after dealer allegedly programmed.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:32 PM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JG 996T
Nice - mine throws an error at startup even after dealer allegedly programmed.
funny you mention that, I had my dealer do the programming yesterday morning, and when I got the car back the no cd changer error came up a couple of times. I never saw the error before the programming. Since then (about 10 starts) I have not had an error message so maybe I am home free. I never did a reset.

One thing that I am impressed with is how fast it pairs.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:25 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

JG, have you done a hard reset? What firmware version? Reach out if needed.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 07-26-2017, 09:10 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm in the same boat. Have apparently coded the CDC and Nav (also removed and looped out Nav) but I get errors for both on startup. Have checked via the Durametric software, looks correct.

I also now have an issue where the Dension no longer remembers the last input (Bluetooth) and defaults to Aux instead, meaning I have to manually go through the menu to choose Bluetooth as the input. This started happening when I updated the firmware a few months ago.

Overall a useful product, but definitely not mature given that I've never seen anyone report on it working seamlessly.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:23 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had one for almost two yrs now, BT works flawlessly 90% of the time. When I had on in another car the power source made a big deal, switched vs constant etc.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:14 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Mine does same as NZ . Can't be bothered with troubleshooting. When I go for long trip it works after manually setting.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:56 AM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JG 996T
Mine does same as NZ . Can't be bothered with troubleshooting. When I go for long trip it works after manually setting.
mine also
Old 07-27-2017, 06:00 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

You will never fix that no cd error message." Foget about it". It's looking for a specific ID on the ring. Kind of like a jr high school homeroom attendance check. "Navigation" here, "amplifer" here, "gateway" here, "CD changer"......MF absent again! Send message to principals office, MF CD changer absent again! Guys that did not have the MF CD changer in the first place, goes like this; "Navigation" here, " amplifier" here, "hey you forgot me "CD Changer", MF CD changer, your not in my homeroom class, get the F&$) out of here, error message sent.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:47 PM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by atcbi5
You will never fix that no cd error message." Foget about it". It's looking for a specific ID on the ring. Kind of like a jr high school homeroom attendance check. "Navigation" here, "amplifer" here, "gateway" here, "CD changer"......MF absent again! Send message to principals office, MF CD changer absent again! Guys that did not have the MF CD changer in the first place, goes like this; "Navigation" here, " amplifier" here, "hey you forgot me "CD Changer", MF CD changer, your not in my homeroom class, get the F&$) out of here, error message sent.
lol...the classic lose/lose scenario.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:17 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

NZ - you mention coding for nav and cdc, but then you say you looped out the nav. If dealer coded for it (added) and you looped it out, that's where the error is.

On other vehicles showing this problem, the best results are with PIWIS coding for adding CDC, making sure plus sign shows in both columns when done, AND they re-order the loop so everything is in a particular order with the Dension LAST before the PCM. Not mandatory, but it helps.

Last, check the Dension website from time to time (support - downloads) for latest firmware.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:31 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Listen to Eric, mine loads up perfect almost all the time, when it doesn't just turn radio off then on, all good. If you have to reset it, then it's out of order somehow as described.
The only issues I ever had was when I attempted firmware updates, no updates for me, thanx.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:53 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
NZ - you mention coding for nav and cdc, but then you say you looped out the nav. If dealer coded for it (added) and you looped it out, that's where the error is.

On other vehicles showing this problem, the best results are with PIWIS coding for adding CDC, making sure plus sign shows in both columns when done, AND they re-order the loop so everything is in a particular order with the Dension LAST before the PCM. Not mandatory, but it helps.

Last, check the Dension website from time to time (support - downloads) for latest firmware.
Thanks for the advice Eric. I coded out the Nav when I removed it.

I'll check the CDC coding tomorrow and see what it looks like. Didn't know about reordering so will look at that too.

Firmware updates are hit and miss. I wish I had access to the older versions as I only started getting the recent audio source issues with the recent update. Tried contacting Dension and got no response.

If I was doing it again I'd replace the PCM, but sick over overspending on bits for the car that don't improve performance
Old 07-29-2017, 05:53 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Still on update 50, flawless operation. Will never update to anything past 50.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:03 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Totally agree, "don't ever get out of the gd boat", from apocalypse now, sub firmware update......

Quick Reply: Another Dension Install