Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How does the rear carpet GT3 badge attach?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 07:04 PM
Harmonster
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How does the rear carpet GT3 badge attach?

My newish to me .2 dropped its rear carpet badge over the weekend. Are these things glued on from the factory? Would appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

Thanks!
Attached Images    
Old 07-13-2017, 12:54 PM
Harmonster
Rennlist Member

Bump. Any points in the right direction greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-13-2017, 01:41 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 85 Posts

The logo plate itself is lightly glued into a plastic retaining frame that has plastic posts that go into the carpet and expand holding it tightly against the carpet.
You can see the holes in your carpet that he posts go into.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:16 PM
Harmonster
Rennlist Member

Thank you!
Old 10-04-2017, 05:15 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtye
The logo plate itself is lightly glued into a plastic retaining frame that has plastic posts that go into the carpet and expand holding it tightly against the carpet.
You can see the holes in your carpet that he posts go into.
Sorry, old thread.

Tye, do you think these expanding plastic posts are reusable, meaning you can carefully pull the whole plate off, and reinsert, and it will be as secure as before/factory? Thinking of asking Eric at BP to paint the piece to match my other painted interior pieces.

OP, did you manage to reattach using only glue, seeing as it appears the plastic posts on yours broke off, or otherwise were removed? I'm wondering if the previous owner of your car added the glue, meaning that the original part was just "tacked on" by the expanding plastic posts, they were not reusable, and so he cut them off and glued the plate on. Sounds possible. Likely, even? In that case, and if I wanted the above mentioned done, I'd likely pay the $75 or so for a whole new badge+plate combo, instead of gluing it to the carpet. Unless it worked perfectly, for you. Please advise. Ideally the posts would be totally reusable, though.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:25 PM
Harmonster
Rennlist Member

I bought a new badge so I could affix it properly. The glue never held. I have no idea why the PO did this

Based on installing the new one, I think you could re-use it w/o any issue. I had to spread the end a bit to get it to hold anyway. It's really not all that solid - just two prongs.

Dan
Old 10-04-2017, 05:25 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ten Years
Sorry, old thread.

Tye, do you think these expanding plastic posts are reusable, meaning you can carefully pull the whole plate off, and reinsert, and it will be as secure as before/factory? Thinking of asking Eric at BP to paint the piece to match my other painted interior pieces.
If you carefully remove it yes it is. I removed mine and re-used and have not had any issues.

In terms of painting, are you wanting to paint just the frame, or the GT3 plate?
Old 10-04-2017, 06:00 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Wow, thanks for the rapid responses, especially to an old thread, guys.

Originally Posted by Harmonster
I bought a new badge so I could affix it properly. The glue never held. I have no idea why the PO did this

Based on installing the new one, I think you could re-use it w/o any issue. I had to spread the end a bit to get it to hold anyway. It's really not all that solid - just two prongs.

Dan
That makes sense. I think maybe your car's PO broke the plastic posts, and therefore couldn't rescue them. Instead of paying, what, $75-ish? for a new one, he likely trimmed off the posts and glued it on, thinking it would never have to be dealt with again. In my experience, gluing anything to carpet never works well. Thanks for the advice and feedback.

Did you order yours from your dealer? Do you happen to have the part #?

If you carefully remove it yes it is. I removed mine and re-used and have not had any issues.

In terms of painting, are you wanting to paint just the frame, or the GT3 plate?

Very cool. Did you modify yours, or you removed it for some other reason?

I want to paint both the frame and the plate to match my other painted trim, and also paint the lettering yellow or gloss black. If possible.

EDIT: are you saying maybe if I left the frame alone, the center GT3 plate comes off more easily? That might make things easier...? Just paint that plate and the GT3 lettering.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:41 PM
Harmonster
Rennlist Member

996-551-305-90-A03

You would destroy the 'GT3' part if you try to pull it out of the frame. Thin metal + a lot of glue.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:12 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

The better option is have an aluminum sheet cut in the same shape. Paint that. Then use a template and paint the GT3 logo in in whatever color, and then glue that to the retaining frame.

I removed mine to do a carbon fiber insert
Name:  photo938.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  1.08 MB
Old 10-05-2017, 03:20 AM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Harmonster
996-551-305-90-A03

You would destroy the 'GT3' part if you try to pull it out of the frame. Thin metal + a lot of glue.
Ok. I see. Thanks for the part number. Had no idea the center plate was thin metal that's very well glued in there. Looks and feels like a pop-in plastic plate that's easily removed and reused. Too bad it isn't.

The better option is have an aluminum sheet cut in the same shape. Paint that. Then use a template and paint the GT3 logo in in whatever color, and then glue that to the retaining frame.

I removed mine to do a carbon fiber insert
Attachment 1258196

Whoa. Your CF piece is legit. Nice. Which vendor provided that? Is that OEM-like raised lettering, or a decal that's on the CF, and under the clear acrylic? Nice, either way.

Eric at BP did tell me that they could paint the frame/backing, but they couldn't do the GT3 plate. Now, knowing it's a thin metal piece that's glued onto the plastic backing and frame, it makes more sense. I'm sure he wouldn't mind me sharing a couple of these photos... Pretty nice painted frames/backing plates! Your CF piece would look amazing with the painted frame, too.

Last edited by Ten Years; 10-05-2017 at 03:47 AM.

Quick Reply: How does the rear carpet GT3 badge attach?