Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.1 GT3 Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017 | 03:14 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonturbo
Having said that, I also believe that the defining characteristic of the 997 GT3 that makes it unique is how well it blends characteristics of old and new porsche.
Interesting points Jason. I had this same feeling re: my .1GT3. I remember telling a friend how it has kind of an old car raucous feel & sound, in a fairly modern package (compared to truley old-school 911's).

Originally Posted by jasonturbo
Here's a discussion topic - why does the RS command a premium over base GT3? For those who have owned both, can it be justified by anything other than the badge?
Oh, let's not go there... that one has been beat to death 'round these parts. Basically, if you have an RS it's worth the money. If you don't have an RS it either isn't worth the money (to you), or it is but you can't afford / justify it.

Last edited by jonwb; 07-28-2017 at 09:09 PM. Reason: cleaning up grammer
Old 08-01-2017 | 03:02 AM
997gt3cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless the 997.2 GT3 comes with the following, non electronic steering, Motorsports based motor, or mezger variation, non turbo.. it's really not similar, other than the fact that it has a 6 speed trans..

I don't really see the new GT3 6 speed hurting the value of the 997.. The more hype the new car generates the more hype the 997 will recieve, since every journalistic stand point references that new 997.2 is pretty much aspired to be the next 997 GT3..

no such thing as bad publicity..
Old 08-01-2017 | 05:28 AM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A clean, well taken care of 997.1 gt3 with 20k miles or less is definitely worth 90-100k and that being compared to every single automobile available on the planet. Think about it, if a clean 993 with sub 20k miles is 90k all day and a clean 1988 m3 with sub 20k miles is 80k all day, how the f is a clean 997.1 gt3 not worth 90-100k?

People sometimes forget how special these cars really are. Drive 20 other sports cars for 2,000 miles and then compare. In another ten years, every 996 and 997 gt3 will be placed so high on a pedestal that most humans will never see one and probably never be able to afford one. 996 and 997 gt3's have stopped being built, they were the best product Porsche was able to deliver in that era, they are rare, fken amazing to drive and to admire.

The key is to find a clean one that's been respected and not abused, miles matter today but overall health will matter more in the future. These cars are a treasure, an accomplishment that humans built for others to enjoy. Mark my words, all gt3's will have their day in the sun.

Test drive different models, find the one that makes you feel good, makes you feel confident, buy it and be happy with your Gt-fn-3.
Old 08-01-2017 | 12:09 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sixtyfiver
A clean, well taken care of 997.1 gt3 with 20k miles or less is definitely worth 90-100k and that being compared to every single automobile available on the planet. Think about it, if a clean 993 with sub 20k miles is 90k all day and a clean 1988 m3 with sub 20k miles is 80k all day, how the f is a clean 997.1 gt3 not worth 90-100k?

People sometimes forget how special these cars really are. Drive 20 other sports cars for 2,000 miles and then compare. In another ten years, every 996 and 997 gt3 will be placed so high on a pedestal that most humans will never see one and probably never be able to afford one. 996 and 997 gt3's have stopped being built, they were the best product Porsche was able to deliver in that era, they are rare, fken amazing to drive and to admire.

The key is to find a clean one that's been respected and not abused, miles matter today but overall health will matter more in the future. These cars are a treasure, an accomplishment that humans built for others to enjoy. Mark my words, all gt3's will have their day in the sun.

Test drive different models, find the one that makes you feel good, makes you feel confident, buy it and be happy with your Gt-fn-3.
YES
Old 08-01-2017 | 01:59 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

X2.
I have driven approx 75 sports car's from $25k - $600k range. The GT3 model is top 3. I asked myself if i were to sell it- what would i get ? I couldn't come up w/ an answer for a straight replacement. Fun / Convenience /Performance / DD ability. Pure fun - car's that can match gt3 is north of 400k that can replace in fun but not pureness of rawness. That would take 600k +

*I'm excluding all GT3 variants, as technically a gt3
Old 08-01-2017 | 07:17 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

The newer cars are newer period. Just throwing a box in there doesn't make it a 997 replacement.

Honestly any faster than my .2 rs and I think you NEED a PDK to keep up with the car and the gears. But what fun would that be?
Old 08-01-2017 | 10:06 PM
rev28k
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New to this board. Current owner of a 2013 GTR and prior 2009 GTR. Looking to trade for the following 997.1 GT3 that I recently came across. Carfax shows 5 previous owners but clean title. The car has been listed since April 25, 2017. Is that necessarily a red flag? Any pointers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

http://www.formulaoneimports.com/veh...nc-id-18390871

Old 08-02-2017 | 02:35 AM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rev28k
New to this board. Current owner of a 2013 GTR and prior 2009 GTR. Looking to trade for the following 997.1 GT3 that I recently came across. Carfax shows 5 previous owners but clean title. The car has been listed since April 25, 2017. Is that necessarily a red flag? Any pointers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

http://www.formulaoneimports.com/veh...nc-id-18390871

5 owners does not scare me, but the last owner kept it for a very short time and barely put any miles on the car, that could be an indication that something needs attention. The pictures represent a car that has seen plenty of sunlight, possibly parked outside now and then. The areas behind the tires show pitting that is typical of high speed driving on less than very clean roads. Imo the car has not been babied, it was driven without much regard, I could be wrong but thats my .02.
Old 08-02-2017 | 02:45 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 178 Posts

Not Actual Miles? Exceeds Mechanical Limits?

Oh, and how about Over Revs? 5 owners learning to drive the car increases the odds for that.
Old 08-02-2017 | 02:47 AM
Excusem3
Instructor

5 owners does not scare me, but the last owner kept it for a very short time and barely put any miles on the car, that could be an indication that something needs attention. The pictures represent a car that has seen plenty of sunlight, possibly parked outside now and then. The areas behind the tires show pitting that is typical of high speed driving on less than very clean roads. Imo the car has not been babied, it was driven without much regard, I could be wrong but thats my .02.
I was in the market for a GT3 back in May and this car was listed on Autotrader. Clean Car Fax doesn't mean anything. If you're interested, get a PPI and DME completed for piece of mind.
Old 08-02-2017 | 03:22 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,410 Likes on 647 Posts

In regards to GT3 stuff if I can offer some insight

As a dealer we are only able to put cars 2011 and newer on a floor line, which is to say we can purchase on credit vs cash.

This means there is less demand "dealer to dealer" because less dealers can buy cars. 997.1's are totally off the table.

Also- banks are less willing to loan against the cars because of age.

So, there is artificial downward pressure since dealers cannot afford to hold them on cheap interest.

But- if you really compare to other similar priced Porsches as a cash for cash value (which you have to now)

85-130k:

GT4
Boxster Spyder 2016
997.1-997.2 Gt3
993 C2S cream puff
993 Turbo
993 C4S cream puff
964 RS America cream puff
991 GTS
991 GT3 high miles 2014
997 Turbo
997.2 Turbo
991 Turbo

Which is the best car to drive? I narrow to 2 choices.

997.1 Gt3
2016 Boxster Spyder

Having owned both, the GT3 is obviously more practical but out of warranty etc. However due to the increased sturdiness of the drivetrain...a well cared for GT3 will outlast the rest of those cars for sure.

Therefore- whatever price you can secure an awesome condition 997 Gt3 is a BUY. If you have the cash to do it, that is absolutely a buy.
Old 08-02-2017 | 09:04 AM
rev28k
7th Gear

Thanks for shedding some light. That last owner scares me a bit, having owned the car for a year and only putting 400 miles on it. Could be a hard 400 trackday miles?

Originally Posted by WernerE
Not Actual Miles? Exceeds Mechanical Limits?

Oh, and how about Over Revs? 5 owners learning to drive the car increases the odds for that.

Originally Posted by Excusem3
I was in the market for a GT3 back in May and this car was listed on Autotrader. Clean Car Fax doesn't mean anything. If you're interested, get a PPI and DME completed for piece of mind.

Thanks gentlemen! I plan to visit the dealership at the end of this week and will provide feedback with other things not shown in the ad to see if there are other things I should be concerned with. I think a PPI will reveal a lot of answers if I do move forward with the next step.

I also noticed the ad says PCCB but clearly no ceramic brakes as evident by the pics. I read that a lot of owners prefer steel rotors for track events. Anything to be concerned here? Or just more negotiating power?
Old 08-02-2017 | 03:07 PM
kinetic125
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Having recently purchased a 997.1 GT3 via Rennlist, I will also confirm that a PPI and DME report are required. Probably would not hurt getting more than one PPI if you can swing it.

I would also learn more about that dealership to see how they have treated other people.

Finally, given my current purchase, I believe this car is ~$20k above market value.

GLWP!
Old 08-02-2017 | 04:46 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 682 Likes on 316 Posts

I'll add that there are several different qualities of PPI's based on the quality of the shop and how much you pay. I have seen PPI's that were $200 and came with a one page document stating the car is clean and then needed 5K worth of small repairs to be whole and I have seen $200 PPI's that have come with 6 pages of notes including a paint meter measurement. You HAVE to get one. In the future I don't think I will buy another Porsche GT car without standing next to it on a lift with a very experienced tech next to me...
Old 08-02-2017 | 05:14 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by kinetic125
Having recently purchased a 997.1 GT3 via Rennlist, I will also confirm that a PPI and DME report are required. Probably would not hurt getting more than one PPI if you can swing it.

I would also learn more about that dealership to see how they have treated other people.

Finally, given my current purchase, I believe this car is ~$20k above market value.

GLWP!
What did you pay for yours? Specs?

Quick Reply: 997.1 GT3 Pricing