Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thoughts on GT3 and what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 09:30 PM
mikebic
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GT3 is special and will put a smile on your face. Harsh is in the eyes of the beholder. I love the connection to the road and the feeling of what is going on with the car. I would say firm and communicative. My wife might say harsh when a bump can really transmit quite a bit into the cabin. Again, Lexus crowd need not apply. You just have to know yourself. I love it, but I never owned a Lexus.

My must have options:
1) Front axle lift - as mentioned above. It gets you over most humps and driveways.
2) A honking big torque wrench for you center lock wheels. Most places can't even remove a wheel.
3) A battery tender - Even two weeks of not driving it is too long to have your battery discharging
4) A budget for rear tires. You will not be getting 60K miles from yours

Otherwise, the car was not too costly to maintain... and certainly no worse than my other Porsches. Was not bad to insure. Holds its value well. Looks great. Sounds very expensive. Still gets great comments 7 years later. Fun even going to the grocery store.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:16 PM
garyever
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GT3.1 or .2 is solid as a daily driver and especially for a track car (Metzer engine), draws attention where ever it is, will gain value throughout its life because of its special look, the fact that its a race car with its own race class, and the very limited amount that are released to the United States every year (400 in 2007). Most other Porsche models lose value. Mine looks almost new, is 10 years old, was bought 2 years ago with a 100,000 mile, 5 year renewable Platinum warranty that covers any type of mechanical breakdown on street or tracking practice on a race track or DE Event. They are fast on track for an experienced driver after you mod them up some.

A Porsche model you can't go wrong for a long time hold.

Last edited by garyever; 06-21-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:27 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Socialpro

Is the gt3 too 'purpose' oriented to have that as the 'fun' car on the weekend to stroll around town?
I would say NO. I daily drove my GT3, the clutch didn't bother me (in SF traffic), the noise and drive did however, ruin me for non-GT Porsches. Not sure I could do a C2 anymore. Perhaps a TT though I've never driven one...

GT3 - you won't be disappointed, and if you are, call me
Old 06-24-2017, 05:30 PM
Socialpro
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

So --

Just took a test drive in a 2011 GT3. Was not super long as the dealership was super nervous to let me drive it - and I'm not particularly keen on testing out a cars limits that I have never driven before / aint mine.

Here is what I came away with in the limited seat time I had --

The car is more civilized then I imagined. To me it feels like they took a 'turbo' - and firmed up every part of it, while giving it a naturally aspirated high revving engine. The ride is very compliant - and I did not find it overly firm at all. Clutch was much more 'hard' then anything I had previously. Steering feel was tremendous (way better then turbo), so was the short throw gearbox.

All in all - I loved the ride, and think it would make a splendid occasion / weekend driver that can be used as a stroll without needing the 'track' to experience the gem that this gt3 offers. Everything from turning, gearbox engagement, firm yet compliant ride, etc --- def made it a pleasure to pilot.

Maybe I just missed a manual that much as I've been away from one in nearly 2 years!!

Next thing to figure out is pricing, options (if there are any that were a must for me), etc.

The one I drove was in the 120s, 2011, 11K miles, pristine shape -- seemed like a reasonable price for how clean the car was. All that I have came across below 120K seemed to have much higher mileage, track use, etc.

Now trying to figure out what to do next...lol

Old 06-24-2017, 05:44 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

The one I drove was in the 120s, 2011, 11K miles, pristine shape -- seemed like a reasonable price for how clean the car was. All that I have came across below 120K seemed to have much higher mileage, track use, etc.
That's a great price for the low mileage if it's clean.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:49 PM
Socialpro
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

OK so I looked at the options list and the only ones worth mentioning on this particular one are front axle lift, sport chrono w/o PCM, and sound package plus

Nothing else thats major, no carbon ceramics, etc...

Is the LSD an option on these GT3s? If I don't plan on tracking the car I assume its a non issue...

And carbon ceramics are not important to me. No other biggies that I'm missing that I should be looking for?
Old 06-25-2017, 05:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,444 Likes on 2,251 Posts

OK so I looked at the options list and the only ones worth mentioning on this particular one are front axle lift, sport chrono w/o PCM, and sound package plus

Nothing else thats major, no carbon ceramics, etc...

Is the LSD an option on these GT3s? If I don't plan on tracking the car I assume its a non issue...

And carbon ceramics are not important to me. No other biggies that I'm missing that I should be looking for?
make sure the F.A.L works ... LSD is std, but might be shot as they typically do not last (if the car is tracked) ... I assume this would be CPO???

oh, you dont mention PDEM, its a 2011 I (perhaps mistakenly) recall they were std ...h'mmm were they?
Old 06-26-2017, 03:22 AM
k3v7n
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding PCCB, never had it before my .1 GT3; but I'm now a convert. Gravity-defying braking, no dust, lightweight. That said, as I start to track this one I may see the flip side of this...

Quick Reply: Thoughts on GT3 and what to look for?