Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thoughts on GT3 and what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 01:59 PM
Socialpro
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Thoughts on GT3 and what to look for?

I have previously owned a 2006 997 and a 2008 911 turbo - and after a lambo stint want to come back to porsche. Car has to be manual -- and initially I was considering a GT4 cayman but just love the 997 styling that much more -- so to get something different I started tossing around the idea of a 997 GTS or a 997.2 GT3.

I loved the RWD feel of my carrera over the AWD in the turbo.

I do not plan on doing any 'track' usage but love the 'GT3' package - wheels, wing, interior, etc.

Is the gt3 too 'purpose' oriented to have that as the 'fun' car on the weekend to stroll around town?

Also - I found one nearby and it has 'track' use on it -- what else do I need to ask, worry about when thats the case? Overrevs, ppi (obv), etc? Any help is appreciated as I have never purchased or looked at something that used to be a track vehicle.

Any help or thoughts are appreciated as I'm new to the porsche GT game!
Old 06-16-2017, 02:19 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try driving both and then make a decision. GTS is a more "all around" vehicle, more comfortable on the street but able to moderately perform on the track. GT3 is the opposite, being more focused for the track.
Don't forget to see how you may fit in bucket seats vs. "sofas" as some refer the regular sport seats. There are ten thousand opinions on this board as to what works for him/her! PPI is a must!
Old 06-16-2017, 02:26 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

The engine and 8500 red line of the GT3 is spectacular. Road manners are quite good. I much preferred the 997-2 GT3 over my 997-1 turbo on the street. The turbo was floaty, the GT3 was very stable and composed.

If you go w. the GT3 check if the coolant lines have been pinned/welded, and since the car's been tracked - clutch life, and CL hub wear. Hubs are a wear item on tracked cars and have to be replaced after a certain amount (I forget the exact number) of track miles.

They are pretty much bullet-proof otherwise.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:36 PM
Socialpro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
The engine and 8500 red line of the GT3 is spectacular. Road manners are quite good. I much preferred the 997-2 GT3 over my 997-1 turbo on the street. The turbo was floaty, the GT3 was very stable and composed.

If you go w. the GT3 check if the coolant lines have been pinned/welded, and since the car's been tracked - clutch life, and CL hub wear. Hubs are a wear item on tracked cars and have to be replaced after a certain amount (I forget the exact number) of track miles.

They are pretty much bullet-proof otherwise.
Great suggestions. Yes - the turbo was OVERLY floaty stock I remedied some of that with GMG springs. I do like more stable and composed and 'planted' -- I will go out and find one to test drive prior to making any decisions.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:52 PM
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
I much preferred the 997-2 GT3 over my 997-1 turbo on the street. The turbo was floaty, the GT3 was very stable and composed.
the stock suspension Turbo can be floaty but coilovers transform the car, in other words very easily remedied.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:54 PM
ftlaud911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a .1 gt3 and use mine on the weekends or when I want to go for a ride. It is an amazing piece of engineering. It is literally an event every time I turn the key. The sound is amazing and feels special at least to me. It can be a rough ride depending on your roads. I have the sport buckets and after an hour or so my back starts to hurt. No way would I drive long distance in it. The regular seats would be fine. For a secondary car it's perfect. Yet to take it to track, but would like too with track insurance. Definitely get one or if it's your only car get a gts. People say they DD it, but that all depends on your roads. Good luck and find the one you want with the right options.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:42 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by 786
the stock suspension Turbo can be floaty but coilovers transform the car, in other words very easily remedied.
I had mine lowered, added a GT2 rear sway bar, and the DSC box. All of those things helped, especially the DSC. But you can't escape from the fact that the car weights 3500 lbs. 500 more than the GT3. That's the biggest problem with the turbo.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:28 PM
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

right but the floatiness is gone once you address the suspension. i think we are talking about two different things now, initially you commented on the floatiness of the turbo's suspension which is what i replied to. if you want to bring up weight that's a fair comment, i would counter that lack of torque on the NA motor being a huge detriment and the reason i much prefer the Turbo as a street car. it's nice to be able to pass anyone anytime, which is the Turbo's forte. the readily available power, coupled with a sorted suspension to eliminate the stock softness/floatiness, makes for a pretty potent street car imo. what it lacks in comparison to the same gen GT3 is the feel of a lighter car, which you pointed out, but also the sound of an NA motor, and some general sharpness in chassis/steering. but it makes up for it by being much faster (much much faster if tuned a bit) which sways it in terms of a street car imo. to wrap up the biggest problem with the Turbo in terms of a street car isn't so much weight as it is lacking the sound of a high revving NA motor like the GT3 has, but the power more than makes up for it. the rest of the chassis can be greatly improved upon to get pretty close to the feel of a pseudo GT car, at least imo.

didn't mean to derail, back to GT3 talk for OP.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:36 PM
mikebic
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am selling my 2010 GT3 one owner car. Starting to get serious about really selling it. It will fund my kids last year of college, but I am not happy selling it. I also think that many years from now, it will regret the move. The car is really special and is better in almost every way to my prior 3 Porsches.

I find it is a great car for driving around. Great steering feel that is somehow lost on new electronic steering. However you need to be ready for a harsher ride. The GT3 on soft is harder than a C2S on firm. It also makes more noise than the many are comfortable with, especially at high RPM. I love it.

The looks are killer, and it is very comfortable if you are comfortable getting into a low car. It loves to rev and you will like that, but it is a pretty docile daily driver as long as you stay away from steep driveways and big bumps. I find the front end lift is a necessity in the real world. Too low otherwise. Electronics are only so, so on this era of car. Get navigation and iPhone connection, but not much else. This is a great drivers car for someone serious about driving but may be too harsh for people used to the Audi experience and just going for the looks. This is a purpose built car, with all of the advantages and disadvantages of such.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:29 AM
zaitsev
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to drive the GT3 before making any decision. A little while ago I was trying to decide between a 997 Turbo and GT3. After driving both, there was only 1 decision and it wasn't even a toss-up. The experience of driving the GT3 each time you get behind the wheel is something special. The turbo, while a monster, doesn't quiet give you the same sensations. People mention the harshness of the GT3... mine has monoball suspension all around, track bits, semi-solid engine and tranny mounts.. so it's "harsher" than a standard GT3, but it does *not* beat you up. It is firm, but not harsh, IMHO.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:38 PM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by zaitsev
You need to drive the GT3 before making any decision. A little while ago I was trying to decide between a 997 Turbo and GT3. After driving both, there was only 1 decision and it wasn't even a toss-up. The experience of driving the GT3 each time you get behind the wheel is something special. The turbo, while a monster, doesn't quiet give you the same sensations. People mention the harshness of the GT3... mine has monoball suspension all around, track bits, semi-solid engine and tranny mounts.. so it's "harsher" than a standard GT3, but it does *not* beat you up. It is firm, but not harsh, IMHO.
This is the truth, I had a 997 Turbo (which was a great car) but once I drove a GT3 I had to have it.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:05 PM
Deansdream
Three Wheelin'

Received 462 Likes on 208 Posts

A tracked GT3 will also need the slip differential replaced. Guard is a common option
Old 06-19-2017, 01:29 AM
Socialpro
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm going to go and test drive one this week to see what I come away with. Having previously owned two 997s I'm very curious to see how this will feel against that -- as opinions throughout boards and youtube reviews/videos vary considerably regarding ride quality and more.

Are there any options that are a must on these?

Will follow up shortly ---

Last edited by Socialpro; 06-19-2017 at 01:55 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:12 AM
chiffonade
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

there really aren't any "must haves" but get the trim level you want:

for track, get the nice track seats, factory roll bar, steel brakes, etc.

for street, get the full leather, carbon fiber, sofa seats, pccb's, etc.

at the end of the day though, get the best quality / lowest miles one you can afford, the options aren't that important. i have a street spec car (no track for me) and it's awesome.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:19 AM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

if you're going to be in traffic a lot and need rear seats, GT3 or GTS are good. GT3 is a good weekend car and occasional daily depending on how traffic is in your area.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on GT3 and what to look for?