Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT2 RS => CGT : Trade???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 06:21 PM
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ///BLACKLABEL
Buy a CGT and stare at it...smile...then..

...Get a 997 GT2 with miles and buckets and rip it...bigger smile...
agree with this

The CGT wins out for obvious reasons imo but make sure you get new rubber on it if you do the swap.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:38 PM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 97 Posts

I have both a Speciale and a CGT.

Speciale has been amazing. I had been out of the Ferrari world for a few years, but the Speciale exceeded all my expectations. The car makes you feel like a hero, makes accessible much of the performance envelope of the car, all the while making you appear to be a better driver than you are. And I think the design is timeless, and will are gracefully. Plus, amazingly, not a single problem with the car since new!

The CGT is the polar opposite - it will make you work for everything. More than any other car I know, "Respect Required" rings very true. Even a 5 minute coffee run is an adventure. A supermodel mistress who may just end up killing you if you do not pay attention.

And, as others have said, the CGT is in a league of its own. You can spend many happy hours just drinking in the design and mechanical nuances of the car... but once you turn that ignition key, it all becomes emotion.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:14 AM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The question being asked in the OP wasn't which car was the better car to drive though.... If that was the question, the cgt would be the clear pick by a countrymile, possibly against any other car as well in many respects (assuming one had the circumstances to enjoy driving the car).

As a collectible i still think it's far less clearcut, the uniqueness of the cgt and lack of being a 911 counts against it imo.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:12 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
The question being asked in the OP wasn't which car was the better car to drive though.... If that was the question, the cgt would be the clear pick by a countrymile, possibly against any other car as well in many respects (assuming one had the circumstances to enjoy driving the car).

As a collectible i still think it's far less clearcut, the uniqueness of the cgt and lack of being a 911 counts against it imo.
Thanks for this. My question was one of those "all things considered" type comparos, not which drives "better." I don't believe the answer to be straightforward, hence the solicitation, but do appreciate the varied points of view. Thanks all
Old 05-28-2017, 02:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SSTHO
+1

As much as I loved my 997 GT2 (more than 991.1 RS and 997.2 GT3/RS and 997.1 GT3 and 996.2 GT3), after putting on a few thousand miles on the CGT over a couple of open track days and drives through the mountains... the choice is natural. No thought needed.

If you're still thinking about a trade, I'll bet you haven't driven or experienced a CGT.

When you do, your emotions will override whatever "investment" decision you think you are making. Your heart will stay true to the CGT. Anyone with one or experienced one will never forget the uniquely visceral experience.

However, the 997 GT2 is a very cool, limited edition car. You can't go wrong.

OP - please drive/experience a CGT, then come back and post how happy you are making the trade.
As luck would have it, I have experienced both cars up close and personal. As machines I don't find them clearly comparable; sort of apples and oranges. Which of course dictates and answer of "both" 😀

Interestingly, when I bought the 2RS I was also at the finish line on a CGT, but made the decision to own one, and one being the 2RS. Since then, CGT values have peaked then fallen, 2RS values have risen, and now I sit with the good fortune of re-evaluating that original decision with a slightly different relative value equation...
Old 05-28-2017, 04:22 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by 5980
As luck would have it, I have experienced both cars up close and personal. As machines I don't find them clearly comparable; sort of apples and oranges. Which of course dictates and answer of "both" 😀

Interestingly, when I bought the 2RS I was also at the finish line on a CGT, but made the decision to own one, and one being the 2RS. Since then, CGT values have peaked then fallen, 2RS values have risen, and now I sit with the good fortune of re-evaluating that original decision with a slightly different relative value equation...
2rs has gone from one of most undervalued cars in the market to pretty fairly priced on relative basis. I've sold mine since. It was fun to own and clearly too cheap a couple years ago in the 2xx's. I think CGT dang good value relative to LE 911s right now. I don't own one at the moment but if anyone asked me best buy in admittedly over-heated car market, CGT is top of my list. And up there with most anything for drive experiences.

Thing that has scared me away from CGT a bit is that it's a commitment to own. 911s: you can beat on em relatively care free and do basic oil/fluids. CGT seems a little less robust to me, but I think I'll scratch the itch eventually.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:03 PM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

There is precedent to the possibility of the 2RS price overtaking CGT prices.

Around 2005 Chris Harris wrote an article along the same lines in GT Purely Porsche, one of his best pieces in my mind, he was musing at the possibility of 993 GT2 values approaching CGT prices. The article included drives in both cars. Very well written.

His conclusion? While he laments that so many CGTs were made (relatively speaking), the ceiling to the 993 GT2 price will forever be the the floor price for a well used CGT. The CGT to him, relatively, was just that special and different from 911s. Just as he was finishing that article, he sold his GT2, and the rest is history, price-wise. To this day he laments that GT2 sale. I think last year a 993 GT2 sold for about $2.5M, albeit it was a very nice GT2.

Interestingly, the 993 GT2 and the the 964 Turbo S Leichtbau are the spiritual ancestors of the 2RS. Of course, numbers produced among the 4 cars above are all very different, which may be the primary determinant of market price.

Finally, we live in an increasingly crazy world, with continued distortions between value, and market price. So who knows?
Old 05-28-2017, 09:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carlos993

Around 2005 Chris Harris wrote an article along the same lines in GT Purely Porsche, one of his best pieces in my mind, he was musing at the possibility of 993 GT2 values approaching CGT prices. The article included drives in both cars. Very well written.

His conclusion? While he laments that so many CGTs were made (relatively speaking), the ceiling to the 993 GT2 price will forever be the the floor price for a well used CGT. The CGT to him, relatively, was just that special and different from 911s. Just as he was finishing that article, he sold his GT2, and the rest is history, price-wise. To this day he laments that GT2 sale. I think last year a 993 GT2 sold for about $2.5M, albeit it was a very nice GT2.

Interestingly, the 993 GT2 and the the 964 Turbo S Leichtbau are the spiritual ancestors of the 2RS. Of course, numbers produced among the 4 cars above are all very different, which may be the primary determinant of market price.

Finally, we live in an increasingly crazy world, with continued distortions between value, and market price. So who knows?
Thanks for sharing. Hadn't seen this. Interesting no doubt
Old 05-28-2017, 11:15 PM
modoz61
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I couldnt possibly have either and not drive them

But

If I had to choose CGT - its unique - full stop

I dont know how you could possibly resist the urge to hear that V10 wail but all the power to you if you can, they are both an exhilarating drive but the CGT is also art with far more attention in the detail
Old 05-29-2017, 12:24 AM
tmario
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll play devils advocate on this. I have not owned a 2rs but I have owned a 3rs and CGT.

I am a driver. While I appreciate the mechanical beauty of the CGT (I wanted to own one from the first I saw the concept car) for me it wasn't a good match.

At least for me in the New York area, I just could not drive it much so ultimately I sold it. I don't regret owning it. But, I don't have unlimited time/space/money, so I want cars that fulfill all the boxes. The 3rs did that and I imagine the 2rs would as well (with much more pace!)
Old 05-29-2017, 12:47 AM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Here is a recent vid of a guy trying to make a purchase decision on a CGT. Well done video as these things go.

If you are pressed for time, just watch the last 4 or so minutes - his summary of the car, plus a very good recording of the engine's wail at full song.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:18 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos993

Definitely could happen, especially when you consider numbers and 997-2rs being last manual (I assume?) and more importantly last mezger. Hindsight is always perfect, but, 993 2rs has some things going for it that are unique to it. Turbos were "the ****" in the AC world; top of the heap. They also didn't sound like vacuum cleaners nearly as badly as the water pumper turbos do. The 993 was the last AC made and the 993gt2 and RS were the last of the breed for those. The thing 997 4.0 and 2rs have going for them is last mezgers. That criteria COULD put them over a CGT one day when you factor in production numbers. But I think the water pumping era is defined by NA; not turbo. So I'll take my chances in a v10 NA over a 3.6turbo; could be wrong. But if I am, I have the 997 4.0 and I think that car is the most obvious era defining car of them all.

And, full disclosure, i own neither cars (CGT/2rs). I've driven both and have owned a 997 2rs.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:54 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

^i am in same category as DM1 have owned both...I will get another CGT and I have a 15TTS as my daily.

The CGT is my favorite street car of all time...
Old 05-30-2017, 01:06 PM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 111 Posts

Exactly!!!

http://www.carbuzz.com/m/Article.aspx?Id=39392
Old 05-30-2017, 05:43 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I have very much made this debate myself. I think if I could find the right CGT I would snag it over the RS. I love my GT2. Its amazing RS or not. I am currently moving cars around and got a 488 and have an allocation for the 991.2 GT2 RS. At some point the CGT will make sense. I believe someday thats a $2 MM car if you sat on it for 15 years. I would still drive it some for sure though. These folks that keep these cars under 1K miles just doesn't make sense to me, but to each its own.

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 RS => CGT : Trade???