Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thinking of trading my 2007 GT3 for a F430, Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 06:14 PM
skyline23
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thinking of trading my 2007 GT3 for a F430, Thoughts?

Hi Guys,

as the title states, I am toying with the idea of selling my GT3 and getting a F430, was curious to hear opinions of anyone who has owned/experienced both.

I use the GT3 for weekend drives and some track days (was hoping to do 10+ a year, but since I owned it been super busy and only have done maybe 4 total) and to commute to work maybe once every two weeks. I would use the F430 for the same purpose.

The reasons I am toying with this idea are:

1. I actually like driving and want to drive my sports car more often (crazy, I know), but don't enjoy driving a manual transmission in bumper to bumper traffic (absolutely love driving it on open roads and track). Unfortunately, with bay area commutes bumper to bumper traffic is pretty unavoidable during the week, so I find myself rarely driving the GT3, then feeling guilty about it. I am thinking that maybe with the F1 transmission of the F430 would make traffic more tolerable, but would still be fun on the open road and track.

2. Based off my "research", F430s are fairly reliable and can take some track abuse, but if anyone has opinions/experiences on F430s in this regard I would love to hear it. This is one of my main reservations about making the jump, how "reliable" and "robust" the F430 is on the track. For more context, I am a high intermediate/advanced driver who would ideally do 10 track days a year, but never much more then that, and realistically probably only do 5 a year with my schedule now.

3. Have always dreamed of owning a Ferrari (as well as Porsche, but have been fortunate to own GT3s for the past few years now), and with the 430 prices where they are at now I can get into one for just a bit more then the cost of the GT3.

Anyway, would love to hear any opinions from Rennlisters who have owned both or F430s and can share their experiences.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:17 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Go scud - then let me drive it - I've been thinking same thing
Old 05-16-2017, 07:43 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i've never driven the F430 but from what i gather takes the abuse of trackdays well from observing others in the bay area. I'd be weary of a non-DCT transmission, it's not as comfortable and would be frustrating. I have an E46M3 as a DD/track/family car and its SMG b/c of traffic which is fine, but if i had to do it again 6-speed.

the clutch/stick on the 997.1 GT3 is pretty stiff and isn't the best for bumper to bumper. i'm in the bay and that's why regardless of how much i love cars, i commute on a motorcycle bc I hate traffic and sitting in it.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:05 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by skyline23
Hi Guys,

as the title states, I am toying with the idea of selling my GT3 and getting a F430, was curious to hear opinions of anyone who has owned/experienced both.

I use the GT3 for weekend drives and some track days (was hoping to do 10+ a year, but since I owned it been super busy and only have done maybe 4 total) and to commute to work maybe once every two weeks. I would use the F430 for the same purpose.

The reasons I am toying with this idea are:

1. I actually like driving and want to drive my sports car more often (crazy, I know), but don't enjoy driving a manual transmission in bumper to bumper traffic (absolutely love driving it on open roads and track). Unfortunately, with bay area commutes bumper to bumper traffic is pretty unavoidable during the week, so I find myself rarely driving the GT3, then feeling guilty about it. I am thinking that maybe with the F1 transmission of the F430 would make traffic more tolerable, but would still be fun on the open road and track.

2. Based off my "research", F430s are fairly reliable and can take some track abuse, but if anyone has opinions/experiences on F430s in this regard I would love to hear it. This is one of my main reservations about making the jump, how "reliable" and "robust" the F430 is on the track. For more context, I am a high intermediate/advanced driver who would ideally do 10 track days a year, but never much more then that, and realistically probably only do 5 a year with my schedule now.

3. Have always dreamed of owning a Ferrari (as well as Porsche, but have been fortunate to own GT3s for the past few years now), and with the 430 prices where they are at now I can get into one for just a bit more then the cost of the GT3.

Anyway, would love to hear any opinions from Rennlisters who have owned both or F430s and can share their experiences.
With how you describe it, that would be GO.
Thats my first ferrari. I would say its more comfortable than driving my RS, even a 991 GT3.

I would recommend a 2005 or might as well go with a 2008.

After a got my f430, I went to a SCUD, then a Spec and I am still not done.

Before you get one, research Car insurance, services for an oil change, and a yearly fluids. Horror stories about F1 transmission is a rare occurrence so dont let that stop you from your dream.

If those are good with you, then go get one.

Maintenance in a ferrari is different from a Porsche.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:05 PM
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

IMO, trading up for a Scud yes, regular 430 no.

But I get the appeal.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:46 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

I am thinking that maybe with the F1 transmission of the F430 would make traffic more tolerable,
If anything, it is the exact opposite. The F1 transmission in my experience is horrible in traffic. It drives like someone who is driving stick for the first time.

You are in Bay area, club sportiva has a F430, rent it, drive it and see what you think. I didn't care for it.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:26 AM
MovingChicane
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I went 996 GT3 to Scuderia.

Scuderia is great fun to drive and to own a Ferrari was always a goal. In no way is the Scuderia better for regular or track driving; too delicate, parts too hard to get, repairs too expensive, etc. etc. etc. If you are in a position to buy a Scuderia as a track car, then you ought to get a real, dedicated track car and not a compromise. And as stated above, the F1 transmission isn't going to be an answer either.

My Scud is not going anywhere. And I miss my GT3 the most of any car I've had before. Don't do it. Save and add the F430 to your GT3.

Last edited by MovingChicane; 05-17-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:09 AM
ngng
Drifting

Received 300 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
If anything, it is the exact opposite. The F1 transmission in my experience is horrible in traffic. It drives like someone who is driving stick for the first time.

You are in Bay area, club sportiva has a F430, rent it, drive it and see what you think. I didn't care for it.
the sportiva 430 was so beat. i took it up skyline and it felt like the shocks were blown. the MT and sound was great though!
Old 05-17-2017, 02:19 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

the 430 in manual is the last of F manuals if one has to have a manual.
BUT, since you want F1 tranny I would suggust going only Scud in the 430 line.

I am told by multiple F owners that the regular 430 F1 is not that great quality.
They said skip it and go for the 458 and dont look back.

I know the pains of driving a GT3 in traffic. It is a racket.
A friend drove me around in his Scuderia in traffic and i was very impressed on the auto mode.

If to let a GT3 go, it would have to be a scuderia or 458 IMO. That way i wouldnt have any real regrets.
458 is last of normally aspirated!
Old 05-17-2017, 04:12 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ngng
the sportiva 430 was so beat. i took it up skyline and it felt like the shocks were blown. the MT and sound was great though!
MT as in manual transmission? The one I rented (or rather wife rented for me) had the F1 transmission. This was in 2014.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:46 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 300 Likes on 182 Posts

MT as in manual transmission? The one I rented (or rather wife rented for me) had the F1 transmission. This was in 2014.
yeah, it was a manual trans. looks like it was replaced with the f1.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:41 PM
skyline23
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Go scud - then let me drive it - I've been thinking same thing
haha, if I got one, for sure you could drive it...Unfortunately, as much as I would LOVE a Scud, can't justify to myself spending THAT much more on a car right now. My price target is in the $120-130k range, and I think Scuds are close to double that?
Old 05-17-2017, 04:42 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I never had that problem in mine. But again, a lot of people didnt like the SMG transmission in an E60 M5 but I liked it.

I look at it this way, its manual transmission without a 3rd pedal.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:16 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 139 Posts

I was super excited when I finally purchased the red Ferrari I had wanted for so long. It was a 2007 spider with 2500 miles and F1 trans...this was in 2011...looked brand new. Car looks good, sounds great, steering feel I remember being very light, quick....so in general I really liked the car, which was used just for weekend drives. The radio is complete crap though!

Over the course of 2.5 years and about 2k miles it was in the shop 5 times....mostly for F1 transmission stuff. And although I had purchased Ferraris "power normal" warranty most of the repairs were not covered...go figure. The last repair was when I had a belt squeaking. Dropped it off and they called me later in the day to confirm that the belt will need to be replaced because the nut on the pulley came loose and now the belt is damaged. Ok so how much? ...the belt is $63....and the labor is $985.

I'm sure others have had great experiences with 430's but mine was not....as well as several people I have talked to. Be prepared to have a repair budget, especially if you're taking it to the track.

I've had several Porsches and IMO they are a much more reliable, well built car. I absolutely love my 997.1 GT3 RS.

I think you would regret selling your GT3.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:48 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Dang f430 are only 120k now?

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading my 2007 GT3 for a F430, Thoughts?