Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Better to sell my 997.1 GT3 this year or next year?

Old 05-06-2017, 12:22 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Yes,

Sorry for OT,

I think OP got some answers. In the end it just comes down to your own decision.
Speaking of OT.. is that an ICON in your Avatar.. Jelly!! Do tell..

OP: Sell now. I don't think the bubble will get any bigger. In the same breath I think you won't loose too much in another year.. If I were to guess $12k, max.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:54 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT

OP: Sell now. I don't think the bubble will get any bigger. In the same breath I think you won't loose too much in another year.. If I were to guess $12k, max.
Yes,

Took it up for a spin a couple of weeks ago. Windows out, like flying a convertible. Fun toy here in Florida. Lots of lakes to land on.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:10 AM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Why are you guys always dissing track stars? GT3's were bred and built for the track. You can't even begin to appreciate the song of a Mezger unless you're at go-straight-to-jail speeds. Or corner on a street the way it does on track.

You truly don't appreciate the excellence in these machines until you've been on track. And killed bugs at 100mph. Ok, so bugs make a few blemishes on the bumper and mirrors. But no finer experience
Old 05-06-2017, 12:46 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

Because there are those of us who love to track and those of us who don't.

Those of us who don't track our GT3's more often than not prefer to find one that hasn't been run hard on a race track. I had a dedicated race car when I was younger and experienced first hand that there is much more wear and tear on engine and transmission internals, suspension, brakes and exterior cosmetics on a heavily tracked car than there is on a primarily street-driven car. That is simple logic.

If I was looking to buy a GT3 to track, one that obviously had been tracked would likely be the way to go because the usual (and expensive) track mods are already in place and generally don't add any significant value to the car, which is good from a financial standpoint.

Then there are the collectors who insist on the uber-low mileage garage queens so that they can gaze longingly at them in a climate controlled garage. If that makes them happy, that is all that matters.

Bottom line: As with any hobby or passion, in the GT3 world, there are different strokes for different folks.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:54 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

BTW, here are the production numbers on the NA market 997.1 non-RS GT3's

http://pcnalocator.com/production-997-1-gt3/
Old 05-06-2017, 01:16 PM
Jlopez55
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT

$12k would be quite a drop if $80k is my car's current value.

Sounds like this year is much better time to sell.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:26 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

all 997 gt3 owners should get out before they become worthless ....
Old 05-06-2017, 02:15 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by jackb911
Because there are those of us who love to track and those of us who don't.

Those of us who don't track our GT3's more often than not prefer to find one that hasn't been run hard on a race track. I had a dedicated race car when I was younger and experienced first hand that there is much more wear and tear on engine and transmission internals, suspension, brakes and exterior cosmetics on a heavily tracked car than there is on a primarily street-driven car. That is simple logic.

If I was looking to buy a GT3 to track, one that obviously had been tracked would likely be the way to go because the usual (and expensive) track mods are already in place and generally don't add any significant value to the car, which is good from a financial standpoint.

Then there are the collectors who insist on the uber-low mileage garage queens so that they can gaze longingly at them in a climate controlled garage. If that makes them happy, that is all that matters.

Bottom line: As with any hobby or passion, in the GT3 world, there are different strokes for different folks.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:00 PM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jackb911
Because there are those of us who love to track and those of us who don't. Those of us who don't track our GT3's more often than not prefer to find one that hasn't been run hard on a race track. I had a dedicated race car when I was younger and experienced first hand that there is much more wear and tear on engine and transmission internals, suspension, brakes and exterior cosmetics on a heavily tracked car than there is on a primarily street-driven car. That is simple logic. If I was looking to buy a GT3 to track, one that obviously had been tracked would likely be the way to go because the usual (and expensive) track mods are already in place and generally don't add any significant value to the car, which is good from a financial standpoint. Then there are the collectors who insist on the uber-low mileage garage queens so that they can gaze longingly at them in a climate controlled garage. If that makes them happy, that is all that matters. Bottom line: As with any hobby or passion, in the GT3 world, there are different strokes for different folks.

I have a hard time getting why GT3 owners are so worried about value or who the next owner of their car is going to be. At some point in time, our GT3s will go to someone. As for me, it's a game of keep away and to see how long and how much I can enjoy it before it falls into the hands of some other lucky person. Probably going to be my wife or kids doing the negotiations. 997.2 GT3 for life. No substitute. Life time project.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:11 PM
abcut973
Pro

Your car is worth $80k. Sell it now. Next year will be too late.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:41 PM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by abcut973
Your car is worth $80k. Sell it now. Next year will be too late.
really? ;-)
Old 05-08-2017, 01:59 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The current trend is upward. Might as well enjoy it as long as you can.

Last edited by 911993; 05-08-2017 at 11:17 AM. Reason: posted on wrong threat
Old 05-08-2017, 03:10 PM
Jlopez55
Instructor

I appreciate all the feedback guys.

I truly love my GT3 and wish I didn't have to consider selling it. It's the best car I've ever owned.

However, the reality of $70k in tuition this Fall and likely increasing to $140k next year when child #2 goes to college will be a significant cash flow dent. I'm sure for lots of guys it's just a drop in the bucket, but sadly not me. I'm just glad I only have two kids. LOL

Fortunately the GT3 is my 3rd car and I have another fun car, but nothing like the GT3.

Unfortunately, a possible drop of $10k in a year would be meaningful hence my question.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Jlopez55; 05-08-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:51 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlopez55
I appreciate all the feedback guys.

I truly love my GT3 and wish I didn't have to consider selling it. It's the best car I've ever owned.

However, the reality of $70k in tuition this Fall and likely increasing to $140k next year when child #2 goes to college will be a significant cash flow dent. I'm sure for lots of guys it's just a drop in the bucket, but sadly not me. I'm just glad I only have two kids. LOL

Fortunately the GT3 is my 3rd car and I have another fun car, but nothing like the GT3.

Unfortunately, a possible drop of $10k in a year would be meaningful hence my question.

Thanks again!
With 44k miles you won't get a premium for your car but it also depends on a few other things such as clear bra coverage, any repaint, interior seat/steering wheel condition, maintenance records etc. If your car is extremely clean, I don't see an issue selling it for ~$80k. Like the others said now is the time to sell if you want top $$$$ if you wait til later this summer or Fall, you're leaving cash on the table.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:21 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlopez55
$12k would be quite a drop if $80k is my car's current value.

Sounds like this year is much better time to sell.
I'll go ahead and reserve it a year from now for 68K.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Better to sell my 997.1 GT3 this year or next year?