Depreciation based on mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 01:21 AM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Depreciation based on mileage

Odd question.
im not intending to sell my gt3 any time soon.
But I'm curious what effect mileage has on resale on an already higher mileage gt3 like mine.

For example how much approximate depreciation occurs per 1000 miles on a DD car with 45k miles already?

I ask because I'm in the middle of a short road trip now and am contemplating some longer road trips this year in my gt3.

In some ways i am living by the moniker in the other thread of life is too short to drive boring cars.

But how much penalty is there?

Thanks
Old 03-04-2017, 03:14 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Who cares. You're already past the point of not return.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:04 AM
jaundice
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree. I got a pretty good deal on my .2 GT3 because it had 40k miles on it. It was CPOd so I jumped on it. I now have 52k miles on it and drive it everywhere, including on track. Don't care what happens to resale because it already has "too many miles", but I enjoy every one of them I'm putting on it. If I ever sell it, somebody else will get a good deal and a wonderful car to continue enjoying.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:23 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by balefire
Odd question.
But I'm curious what effect mileage has on resale on an already higher mileage gt3 like mine.

For example how much approximate depreciation occurs per 1000 miles on a DD car with 45k miles already?

I ask because I'm in the middle of a short road trip now and am contemplating some longer road trips this year in my gt3.

In some ways i am living by the moniker in the other thread of life is too short to drive boring cars.

Thanks

How high is high?
Definitely it would affect how soon to get buyer and resale value. But I think gt3 selling quickly right now for the right price.

My friend a used car sales man always says, you can sell anything for the right price.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Odd question.

Thanks
Porsche considers annual mileage to be in the 6K to 9K range.

Based on this then a used car with 6K or fewer miles per year average would be considered a low miles car and one could expect it to command a premium price. One with 9K miles or more per year average would be considered a high miles car and one could expect it to not be able to command a premium price just the opposite.

But how much a premium a low miles car could command vs how much a high miles car might have to be discounted is hard to say.

You might get some kind of idea by visiting a used car site like NADA or KBB and plugging in your car's numbers but playing with the mileage. Get a "price" for your car with 6K miles per year and then 9K miles per year.

You can mitigate the miles somewhat by properly servicing the car and documenting this.

If you can say the car is stock and has not seen any track time that's a plus when it comes to resale.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:43 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

What would be the price difference for the same GT3 with 35k and 45k miles? Maybe $10k??

At 45-50k miles your car's next owner will be planning to drive it, not have it sit in a garage. Maybe the question should be, would a non-GT car depreciate faster based on mileage compared to a GT3? If the answer is yes, just drive and maintain it.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:13 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Odd question.

Thanks
You are a very lucky owner to a car that is amazing and don't have to worry about putting miles on it. Best situation to be in. Drive it as much as you like.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:20 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

At this point, cars are either low miles or not. You are firmly in the not category at this time. If you wait 10 years and don't drive the car who knows. But who cares. Drive the car if you want to drive the car. It's an amazing car.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:24 AM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyscar
What would be the price difference for the same GT3 with 35k and 45k miles? Maybe $10k??
Interesting question. I think the difference would be ~ 6-8$k.
The difference beetween a 10k and 20k mile car should be higher ~ 10-12$k.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:34 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

I might be in the minority but I on a higher mile car I would only go on condition, service record, ppi. Seen cars with 60k miles that are in better condition than 30k mike cars.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:52 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

My ex-993 had 62K miles when I took the picture just before I sold it in 2011. Original paint, etc.

Miles don't matter to me assuming it is the right car that has obviously been properly maintained and lovingly cared for. The blue car pictured at the bottom had 120K miles when I traded it to a friend as partial payment for my GT3 in 2013. I don't believe that "reasonable for the age" mileage will have as much of an impact on value as a car gets older. The collectors who value numbers and uber-low mileage will always pay a premium. I doubt that those us who drive and enjoy our cars and don't treat them as objets d'art aren't nearly as concerned about the miles on the odometer.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:19 PM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

All materials on vehicles deteriorate. Some faster than others. Environment sometimes has a more detrimental effect than age or mileage.
Rubber, when subjected to the hot/cold cycles found in the engine compartment will require replacement more frequently. However, in some areas of a vehicle, the rubber will decompose whether the car is driven or not.
Vehicles driven in cold, icy climates and near ocean spray are subjected to corrosion from salt and other chemicals.
Maintenance and extreme usage of drivetrain components have widespread effects, both positive and negative.
High mileage, in a controlled environment with proper maintenance, should not be the only factor used to determine value, especially with a GT drivetrain that has proven its durability during decades of extreme use.

Quick Reply: Depreciation based on mileage