Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Nostalgia Cars (Gen X Folks)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 10:53 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
A close friend once drove his "dream car", a 993 - and he called me right afterwards saying it was the MOST underwhelming experience of his life. He's a huge Porsche guy. He couldn't believe and i quote "such heap of **** has been my dream car for over a decade". I had a similar experience with a R34 i drove in Japan 5 months ago. In conclusion, be careful in making your dreams a "reality".
Stock 993 C2/C4 ARE BORING. So is stock 964 C2/4.
They're mushy, soft, and a bit bloated, 993 being more so.
Hot rod them tho... even w/o an engine build. Focus on chassis, weight, etc. They are awesome.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:26 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Generally, chasing nostalgia is a bad idea.

Make new memories. Make new nostalgia.

The 2011ish boxster spider is the cheapest ride on the board currently in my opinion. And I am not a boxster guy.

944 turbo > turbo s. Turbo spools faster but too complicated these cars.

S2k is missing hp. A lot of it.

M3s. You said it.

Nsx. Supra. Whaaa?

Itr. I also had a sleeper 95 db8 (4 door) gsr that I drove 100k miles modified. Then supercharged. I don't know. Would not want to go back. You will pay a pretty penny now for a fully valued itr.

Good luck.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:33 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 113 Posts

I like my RS but to drive it and have fun I'm flying - older sports car less so

Will never sell the RS but sorta wish the same thing about my GSR and my STi hence the post

Don't need more 911s either
Old 03-03-2017, 12:52 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

993 Turbo. Solves the underpowered problem of 993 and 964. Plenty raw with suspension and exhaust, and perhaps 2WD conversion. Drivers with higher mileage are reasonable and hold value.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:38 AM
oldskews4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ITR, STi (you want a 2004), NSX (97 and later).
Old 03-03-2017, 01:24 PM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Interesting how much similarities we have in terms of cars we've owned. My 2 most memorable cars in my past are 95 Integra GSR and e39 M5.

Integra GSR - first car I bought after college, should have bought Type-R but it was a great car, if ugly. I took it to Germany when I was relocated for work and learned it was impossible to talk on the phone while on autobahn, since it was turning close to 5k RPM (IIRC) while cruising at 100mph +. It had 190,000 miles on it when it was stolen and parted out. Funny story on that is that My 8-month pregnant wife had to go claim it while I was out of town, when it was recovered. She asked if she could look at the car, but the guy at the impound told her how it was stripped and not much was left. My wife says it was the hormones, but she started tearing up, and the guy tells her, "Mam, please don't feel bad, I've seen grown men cry in front of me.." as he passed a tissue box.

e39 M5 - loved it, put 60,000 miles in 8 years as DD and thought it was the best all-around car. So much so that I bough another one in the same color (Lemans Blue) about 1 1/2 year ago but hardly drove it. I had been using e36 M3 as DD and much preferred dynamics of the lighter M3, and just sold it couple of weeks ago.

Currently have 97 M3 and 10 GT3, and not sure that I can go back to heavier car, although my wife's Cayenne diesel is REALLY nice. Debating whether to supercharge the M3 or look for 996TT or early Vantage v8 as daily and occasional HPDE car.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:39 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 445 Likes on 264 Posts

Here's a couple more to consider....

1) Z3M Coupe. Plenty of fun to drive, very low production. Prices only going to go up.
https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...w-m-coupe.html

2) BMW 2002/ Datsun 510/ Alfa GTV. Compact late sixty early seventies pocket-rockets. Plenty of fun, obviously. Prices, again, on their way up. Interesting to note how many engineers and/or race drivers actually own one.

3) Datsun Z-car.

-Andrew

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 03-03-2017, 02:07 PM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
I had a "bone stock" 92? time capsule Supra for a few months that I flipped to buy my 993.
Good looking car, and i loved the driver focused cockpit, but I'm not a turbocharged car fan.
A friend that had a few P cars drove it and said, what is wrong with your steering, it has no feel.
i don't remember that being an issue, but just letting ya know.

Ps, regarding the muscle car suggestion.
Drive before you get too far down the mental process. I have a 69 'Cuda and recently drove an improved 69 Firebird, both ar distressingly bad handlers compared with what we have grown accustomed too.

Good luck with the move and the search
Driver focused cockpit would be a 1993.5+ supra. I have owned 3 Supra turbos in the past and that assessment of no steering feel is correct. The MKIV Supra has a soft spot in my heart.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:44 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

My brother has a Supra- I love that car. Silver over black TT 6 speed targa with 70k miles on it. Its his baby!
Old 03-03-2017, 03:49 PM
DYSL
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The Ferrari 308 GTS is always on my want list, as those are timeless cars to GenX'ers. But when you get smoked by a modern day Toyota Camry you might think differently.

Next on my list would be a Guards Red 930 Factory Slant Nose.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:50 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 980 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by Modena 1
Generally, chasing nostalgia is a bad idea.

Make new memories. Make new nostalgia.
how is it that 'chasing nostalgia' is a bad idea??? if the funds and desire are available, there's nothing wrong with being nostalgic. i'd love to hear why buying something relevant from your past is in any way a bad idea.

i've done it on a couple occasions and have never regretted it. i recently sold an '87 carrera so i could step back in time a bit with a '67 GTO. my dad owned one when i was a child and it seemed like everyone in my family drove pontiacs. now, i enjoy the GTO with my daughter and we are making new memories.

from your list, i like the NSX. benchmark car that made the europeans rethink what they were doing. i'm personally not a japanese car fan, but the NSX is cool. they are so low and look utterly unique in traffic today - which i love. everyone drives an appliance these days. it's great to be in something that makes other people smile and make comments.

life is too short to drive boring cars.
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2017, 08:01 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
how is it that 'chasing nostalgia' is a bad idea??? if the funds and desire are available, there's nothing wrong with being nostalgic. i'd love to hear why buying something relevant from your past is in any way a bad idea.

i've done it on a couple occasions and have never regretted it. i recently sold an '87 carrera so i could step back in time a bit with a '67 GTO. my dad owned one when i was a child and it seemed like everyone in my family drove pontiacs. now, i enjoy the GTO with my daughter and we are making new memories.

from your list, i like the NSX. benchmark car that made the europeans rethink what they were doing. i'm personally not a japanese car fan, but the NSX is cool. they are so low and look utterly unique in traffic today - which i love. everyone drives an appliance these days. it's great to be in something that makes other people smile and make comments.

life is too short to drive boring cars.
Maybe it was worded incorrectly or harshly. Of course sometimes getting something nostalgic for sentimental reasons or whatever is great. Go back to the lake. Go back to the old ice cream shop. Whatever.

What I meant though was maybe get something you haven't had before to make new types of nostalgic memories like you have done with the old muscle car. I have made the mistake 4x of getting an e30 m3 because it was my dream car when I was a kid next to the countach. The last e30 m3 lasted a month, and that was after I begged the original owner to sell to me for 3 years!
Old 03-03-2017, 10:07 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 113 Posts

Fair concern - not sure I'll feel all that cool in a Yellow type R rolling around - think I need to go drive one and see
Old 03-04-2017, 12:36 AM
ktrainman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know this is obvious but nostalgia is very personal. Objectively most if not all these cars are technically inferior in terms of grip and power to what you currently own.

Whatever car makes the best time machine or dream come true for you will be the right choice in the end.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:50 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,703 Likes on 2,342 Posts

matt, if u want alfa GTV, i got like 10 of them ;-)

Quick Reply: Nostalgia Cars (Gen X Folks)