Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 10:15 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Bodywork & paint question

Hi All,

For those of you who do bodywork - what brand of primer, paint, and clear do you recommend for GT3 bumpers - who see 150mph far to regularly. Also same question for rim centers - what clears can hold up to the track heat and brake dusts?

My bumper and side skirts have taken a beating over the years from chips etc and I have the opportunity to clean stuff up.

Thanks

Ray
Old 01-26-2017, 02:33 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a friend who is a custom painter who taught me the craft several years back. Since then I've painted several vehicles in my home workshop garage that sometimes doubles as a paint booth. To make a long story short, I've had outstanding results with both PPG and DuPont/Axalta refinishing products. According to my painter buddy, these two companies' products are more forgiving and user friendly for non-pro shop use than are the European suppliers' products from Glasurit, Sikkens, et al, which are outstanding products as well. With that said, different painters have different opinions on what is best. Most Porsche owners tend to gravitate toward the European paints.

And Ray, for your specific needs IMO you are going to need at least a quality clear bra install to preserve whatever paint you end up using.

This was my most recent Porsche project (2010), using DuPont/Axalta ChromaBase base/clear.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:02 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

That car look great!

Thanks for the info

Ray

Quick Reply: Bodywork & paint question