Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 RS maintenance

 
Old 01-05-2017, 04:11 AM
  #1  
doridori
User
Thread Starter
 
doridori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 199
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 997 GT3 RS maintenance

I am looking to buy a 997 GT3 RS.

I am interested in one with 29K miles.

Just wondering what kind of maintenance that I should expect down the road.

For example:

1. In average, at what mileage the clutch needs to be replaced?
2. Is the "Coolant Hose Coupling Failure" a big concern?


Thanks
doridori is offline  
Old 01-05-2017, 08:32 AM
  #2  
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member
 
ilko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 15,748
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

The clutch can last a long time, or it may need immediate replacement. It really depends on how the car's been driven...

The coolant pipes should be pinned/welded but unless you plan on tracking the car you can wait until the next major service when the engine can be dropped.
ilko is offline  
Old 01-05-2017, 09:32 AM
  #3  
chillindrdude
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
chillindrdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 822
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by doridori View Post
I am looking to buy a 997 GT3 RS.

I am interested in one with 29K miles.

Just wondering what kind of maintenance that I should expect down the road.

For example:

1. In average, at what mileage the clutch needs to be replaced?
2. Is the "Coolant Hose Coupling Failure" a big concern?


Thanks
There's been a fair amount of old threads on the coolant line issues. And far more nuanced responses by experts than I, but...

1) clutch life is dependent on how it was used by the previous driver and quality/frequency of trans-axle fluid change

2)I would pin or weld if the car will see any track time or frequent spirited canyon runs.

There is a diy thread for pinning the lines with the engine in the car.

But I had a shop drop it and weld for me. They were also able to inspect and quantitatively tell me the amount of clutch disc remaining.
chillindrdude is offline  
Old 01-05-2017, 11:38 AM
  #4  
Spyerx
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Spyerx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,437
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by doridori View Post
I am looking to buy a 997 GT3 RS.

I am interested in one with 29K miles.

Just wondering what kind of maintenance that I should expect down the road.

For example:

1. In average, at what mileage the clutch needs to be replaced?
2. Is the "Coolant Hose Coupling Failure" a big concern?
Thanks
Is this car white? 997.1RS?
If so, the only thing it'll need for a while assuming you're not tracking it...
oil change annually
brake flush every 2 years
tranny fluid every 2 years
drive belt every 4 years
inspection annually

"IF" its the one I'm thinking of, BUY IT. Coolant lines are done, clutch is new.
Spyerx is offline  
Old 01-05-2017, 12:28 PM
  #5  
brownan
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
brownan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 877
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Whatever you think the reasonable cost is for maintenance multiply by about three. Love mine and it has been rock solid for 22k. But it comes at a cost. Don't skimp would be my advice.
brownan is online now  
Old 01-05-2017, 03:01 PM
  #6  
doridori
User
Thread Starter
 
doridori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 199
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

It is not the white one.

Here is the car:

http://www.jemmotorcorp.com/detail-2...-15549231.html


Originally Posted by Spyerx View Post
Is this car white? 997.1RS?
If so, the only thing it'll need for a while assuming you're not tracking it...
oil change annually
brake flush every 2 years
tranny fluid every 2 years
drive belt every 4 years
inspection annually

"IF" its the one I'm thinking of, BUY IT. Coolant lines are done, clutch is new.
doridori is offline  
Old 01-05-2017, 05:26 PM
  #7  
Spyerx
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Spyerx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,437
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

ok that car has bounced around a little bit, has some track time. not sure how much. get a full PPI by a solid shop that knows these cars.

My maintenance list is the same. These cars are pretty low maintenance really unless something breaks which isn't very common. They are quite reliable.
Spyerx is offline  
Old 01-05-2017, 08:16 PM
  #8  
Speedster911
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Speedster911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 576
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

You may want to factor in replacing the hubs if there isn't any service history on them.

Like everyone has mentioned - my .2rs has been very reliable- easy to do much of the routine maintenance ( Oil engine & Trans, belt, brakes, spark plugs etc yourself).
Speedster911 is offline  
Old 01-05-2017, 09:06 PM
  #9  
doridori
User
Thread Starter
 
doridori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 199
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

From what I see from the carfax, the car has one owner only.

Where do you see that the car has some track time?

Thanks


Originally Posted by Spyerx View Post
ok that car has bounced around a little bit, has some track time. not sure how much. get a full PPI by a solid shop that knows these cars.

My maintenance list is the same. These cars are pretty low maintenance really unless something breaks which isn't very common. They are quite reliable.
doridori is offline  
Old 01-05-2017, 10:33 PM
  #10  
MKIVdan
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Thousand Oaks California
Posts: 418
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by doridori View Post
From what I see from the carfax, the car has one owner only.

Where do you see that the car has some track time?

Thanks
Check your PM's I sent you one about this car
MKIVdan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997 GT3 RS maintenance


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: