Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 RS vs. Scuderia prices

Old 12-28-2016, 03:42 PM
baguns
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 RS vs. Scuderia prices

Hi Everyone - I saw a similar post of 997.2 RS vs. Scud, but that thread seemed to talk more about the experiences, pros/cons of owning one or the other or both.

I'm also looking at either a Scud or 997.2 RS as they can be both had for roughly the same price.

My question is what do you think the values will be 5 years from now assuming I drive the car around 3,000 miles/year?

I know everyone loves and hates these crystal ball questions. I also posted this same question in the FChat forum as well. I know there are several members of both, but I'm curious to see the responses and appreciate everyone's opinion.

Thank you.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:43 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

lol if you drive it? Porsche.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:15 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

crystal ball says...

Rennlist posts say "Porsche"

FChat posts say "Scud"

I personally think the build quality is far better with Porsche.

Test drive both, decide

Last edited by chillindrdude; 12-28-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:28 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Have you driven both? They are such different cars, reading people's interpretation of drive experience is one thing. Seat time, I think will give you an answer pretty easily such that the crystal ball question won't be deciding factor
Old 12-29-2016, 02:37 PM
grendel88
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Scud prices have been down, then up, then down a little. 997 RS prices have been up for a while. Scuds have a higher MSRP than the 997 RS. Scuds and Challenges don't really have equal competitors, meaning paddle shift and raw. 997 RS has Viper ACRs and all those other track focused manuals.

I think these values are all a little inflated anyway. Both cars are fun to drive as a 2nd or 3rd car in your 30s, 40s, and even 50s, but at the $200K mark that is very narrow market of buyers.

Personally, if prices were equal, which they are not: Scuds are now around $220K+ for a like condition 997 RS at under $200K, I would go Scud. More likely to increase in value because of its more unique niche, higher MSRP, etc.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:58 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by grendel88
Scud prices have been down, then up, then down a little. 997 RS prices have been up for a while. Scuds have a higher MSRP than the 997 RS. Scuds and Challenges don't really have equal competitors, meaning paddle shift and raw. 997 RS has Viper ACRs and all those other track focused manuals.

I think these values are all a little inflated anyway. Both cars are fun to drive as a 2nd or 3rd car in your 30s, 40s, and even 50s, but at the $200K mark that is very narrow market of buyers.

Personally, if prices were equal, which they are not: Scuds are now around $220K+ for a like condition 997 RS at under $200K, I would go Scud. More likely to increase in value because of its more unique niche, higher MSRP, etc.
I know Speciale is in an entire different price level, but dollars aside, isn't it a similar genre of car; dct vs f1 but still paddle shift track oriented mid engine fcar???

In fairness, I have driven scud and 458, but no Speciale.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:38 PM
grendel88
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I know Speciale is in an entire different price level, but dollars aside, isn't it a similar genre of car; dct vs f1 but still paddle shift track oriented mid engine fcar???

In fairness, I have driven scud and 458, but no Speciale.
I have not either, but on Fchat owners all pine over the "rawness" of the Scud compared to the more modern Speciale, especially the newer F1 transmission. Sounds a lot like people's Mezger comments lol.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:23 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

I have driven the 16M and I think it's a turd that sounds nice but the sound itself sounds like a recording.

I think the gearbox is dreadful.

I love the 997RS and think it's the single best gearbox ever for a track focused road car.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:02 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

They would be the same as far as appreciation. For less money, I would go with an RS. Simplier maintenance, easier to resell. I owned a scuderia before I traded for my Speciale, its difficult to sell a Ferrari. Those amounts are only in paper, until somebody buys it.

I would buy both if you can afford it.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:19 PM
bobodrink
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

I own a 997.2 GT3, driven an 997.1 RS and my buddy owns a 16M. I always tell people when I first drove the 997.2 GT3 and when it hit 4k RPM and on, it reminded me of the 16M in terms of the ferocious power delivery. Both raw and sensory overload cars but the 16M is a little more aggressive with more Italian flare. The 997 materials ages better and the 16M feels old.

You gotta drive them both to see which you prefer. My verdict is you need to push harder in the Porsche to get the fizz, but the Ferrari you get the fizz at lower speeds. If you don't push your car on a regular basis then the Ferrari is for you, but if you push your car on a regular basis, the GT3 will match the visceral feeling of the Ferrari on the limit. Both cars will be worth more money in the future.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:50 PM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 130 Posts

I've owned two 16M's and sold them both. Now I own 2 RS's. I could've kept the scud if I wanted but the driving experience just felt 'fake' to me. I really tried to like the car, buying a second after selling my first one. But honestly after driving the porsche, I lost interest in the scud, and I love Ferraris and have three now! That was my experience.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:06 PM
bobodrink
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by E-Man
I've owned two 16M's and sold them both. Now I own 2 RS's. I could've kept the scud if I wanted but the driving experience just felt 'fake' to me. I really tried to like the car, buying a second after selling my first one. But honestly after driving the porsche, I lost interest in the scud, and I love Ferraris and have three now! That was my experience.
I feel what you are saying. Ferrari intentionally tries to be extra aggressive, but Porsche made a car to happen to be aggressive.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:41 PM
RSA_27149
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The op said 3k miles per year. My bet is that after factoring running costs and adjustments for miles at sale you're going to be better off with the RS. The scuds that are selling for $220 plus have less than 5k miles...god help you if it ever hit 10k.
For the record I love both. I'd like to add a scud...but I'm not selling my 997.2 RS.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:35 PM
JEI-Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I've driven both extensively. I assume the Scud is a better long term investment because of the lower production numbers & stellar collector base, however, F-cars seem to be more mile/price sensitive if you plan on actually driving them. The Scud's gearbox is ok if you like paddles but not fast by todays standards and it will only feel slower over time as even a regular VW Golf shifts faster already. My biggest criticism of the Scud are the brakes, which lack feel, precision, & longevity should you ever want to track it. Also, mine’s transmission happened to go into limp mode every-time I pushed it hard for longer periods of time. An ignition turn off/on procedure would get it back to normal though.

As for the 997.2RS, it has to be one of the best 911s every made. If I could only own one Porsche it would be part of the selection process. It’s still small & nimble by today’s standards (have you ever parked a 991 next to it and compared the size difference?), analogue steering, race proven Mezger engine that screams history, it’s relatively fast, precise gearbox, everything always works no matter how hard you push, & it looks fantastic (if you don’t mind the big wing). Dare me say, I prefer its power delivery over the 4.0 even.

Last edited by JEI-Porsche; 12-30-2016 at 10:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-31-2016, 01:03 AM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by JEI-Porsche
I've driven both extensively. I assume the Scud is a better long term investment because of the lower production numbers & stellar collector base, however, F-cars seem to be more mile/price sensitive if you plan on actually driving them. The Scud's gearbox is ok if you like paddles but not fast by todays standards and it will only feel slower over time as even a regular VW Golf shifts faster already. My biggest criticism of the Scud are the brakes, which lack feel, precision, & longevity should you ever want to track it. Also, mine’s transmission happened to go into limp mode every-time I pushed it hard for longer periods of time. An ignition turn off/on procedure would get it back to normal though.

As for the 997.2RS, it has to be one of the best 911s every made. If I could only own one Porsche it would be part of the selection process. It’s still small & nimble by today’s standards (have you ever parked a 991 next to it and compared the size difference?), analogue steering, race proven Mezger engine that screams history, it’s relatively fast, precise gearbox, everything always works no matter how hard you push, & it looks fantastic (if you don’t mind the big wing). Dare me say, I prefer its power delivery over the 4.0 even.
How do you think the power delivery differs between the 3.8 and 4.0? I haven't driven a 4.0 yet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997.2 RS vs. Scuderia prices