Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Alternative to turning a GT3/RS road car to full-time track car

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 02:24 PM
Evolved Rs
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it's a great option. I dont plan to race, just out there to learn and have fun. Find a cup with a fresh trans and that'll offset a majority of the conversion.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:10 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

a reenlist member / friend went from tracking his .1 gt3 to buying 996 cup car and DE / PCA racing. I agree with him that is the best way of doing it. Safest. Best bang for buck, resale, most fun, etc etc etc.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:40 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

DE / Race....cups are thousands of dollars an hour to operate

Slick cost is just the beginning

Trans is geared shorter, more shifts...bad heel toe on shift is real hard on drive train

Think a 996 cup is cheap...ask PMNA how much a replacement bumpers is for the front

997s go up in cost...more power / more grip relates to more wear

Tom...I think the car u built looks cool, but it's not for the faint of heart on operating cost

My paper mache race car needs engine rebuilds every 20 hours and Its still 1/2 the cost to operate as a cup.....and I race both so know the cost
Old 12-24-2016, 11:18 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,593 Likes on 2,300 Posts

did u say slicks?
Old 12-24-2016, 11:59 PM
dizzy8085
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always thought buying a cup with a blown engine for cheap and doing this would be interesting.

I don't know if there's room for a dry sump. The LS motors need dry sumps to live on track.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:22 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
DE / Race....cups are thousands of dollars an hour to operate

Slick cost is just the beginning

Trans is geared shorter, more shifts...bad heel toe on shift is real hard on drive train

Think a 996 cup is cheap...ask PMNA how much a replacement bumpers is for the front

997s go up in cost...more power / more grip relates to more wear

Tom...I think the car u built looks cool, but it's not for the faint of heart on operating cost

My paper mache race car needs engine rebuilds every 20 hours and Its still 1/2 the cost to operate as a cup.....and I race both so know the cost
Im not disagreeing with you, but when you say slicks are "just the beginning", they would be the major consumable difference from the street car, it would be fair to say? I have heard the bumpers are pricey and hard to find, it helps to have spares or go with an FG option. The street car bumper is not cheap either
Old 12-26-2016, 02:41 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i recall a few years ago a team ran a 3.6L 997 Cup with H-pattern in a 24h race. B2F Competition I think?

On my 997.2 Cup I didn't have issues with the gearbox, especially with blipper and 2012 gearbox spec (wide gears).

I found what costs the most is how competitive you are trying to be. Want to be within 3s of the Supercup boys? Then you are running new tires, brakes, and running setups all the time, redlining all the time every time, and driving as hard as you can. Want to just be 5s faster than a street car? Factory setup, endurance brakes, dial down the shift lights by 300rpm and off you go.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:05 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 926 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by BBMGT3
I found what costs the most is how competitive you are trying to be. Want to be within 3s of the Supercup boys? Then you are running new tires, brakes, and running setups all the time, redlining all the time every time, and driving as hard as you can. Want to just be 5s faster than a street car? Factory setup, endurance brakes, dial down the shift lights by 300rpm and off you go.
I wholly agree. When we do IMSA GT3 Cup racing we use a set of stickers for a 15-minute qualifying session and then a 50 minute race. After that the tires don't have the grip to be in the hunt for a podium finish. Even for club racing in a Cayman a set of stickers is only good for around 3 heat cycles in order to be in the front of the pack. For HPDE use many of our local customers stretch the use of a set of tires 10+ heat cycles, which I think there's nothing wrong with that if that's their choice in a non-competition environment and they can adjust their driving to the available grip.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 12-26-2016, 11:08 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 926 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

did u say slicks?
Impressive. When my suppliers run out I'll call you.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:26 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by spiller
Im not disagreeing with you, but when you say slicks are "just the beginning", they would be the major consumable difference from the street car, it would be fair to say? I have heard the bumpers are pricey and hard to find, it helps to have spares or go with an FG option. The street car bumper is not cheap either
Slicks create fantastic grip compared to an r comp tire

The grip creates a much much higher load for all components on the car...everything including the tub

So with a cup or car on any sort of slicks everything....I mean everything has a time out cycle. Every piece has a recommended time out, don't follow it and it can fail at any time ( seen this too )

One of the biggest challenges on cups is bad footwork, every time u mis judge a blip (and the clutch is timy) is transmits all the force into the axle / drivetrain. This has been fixed for the most Parton 997 by installing a KMP / Hollinger system

The lighter the car the load force goes down...and the newer the cup u get the heavier they get

Street tires or r comps have a much lower load on the chassis

You almost have to have track support with a cup, they always need fiddling

Cup is geared shorter, i.e. More time at redline, i.e. More motor and gear wear

997.2 cup we race is $5k per hour all in - not including crash damage or insurance cost

The 996 we raced was $4k or so per hour...then had a new right axle snap at the apex of turn 1 Sebring...nose first into wall

Oh and the warranty on race parts is as soon as u touch it it's out of warranty

My advise, if u want to race then do it....if u want to de stay in a car u can run r comp tires and have fun with it...at current rice point a cayman gt4 seems like a steal
Old 12-26-2016, 08:31 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Another thing to consider

How often do u see a dot r comp pop on the track

Now think about a slick
Old 12-26-2016, 10:22 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Once you are fast and know how to drive...full track car or go home.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:28 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
I wholly agree. When we do IMSA GT3 Cup racing we use a set of stickers for a 15-minute qualifying session and then a 50 minute race. After that the tires don't have the grip to be in the hunt for a podium finish. Even for club racing in a Cayman a set of stickers is only good for around 3 heat cycles in order to be in the front of the pack. For HPDE use many of our local customers stretch the use of a set of tires 10+ heat cycles, which I think there's nothing wrong with that if that's their choice in a non-competition environment and they can adjust their driving to the available grip.
right. even for the racers, especially in porsche cups, you get into the test wars. in carrera cup the guys at the front are doing a simply ridiculous number of test days a year. anyone who knows their stuff knows that a good test day is more expensive than a race. i have made this mistake a few times now - entered a series thinking the budget wasn't so bad and had a decent sponsor to help out, and then am completely floored by how much time and money my competitors are spending on testing outside the race weekends. so now my rule is 1 test day / 1 race weekend. or back to enduros
Old 12-27-2016, 08:31 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 564 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

did u say slicks?
Did tire rack run out of storage space?!

Quick Reply: Alternative to turning a GT3/RS road car to full-time track car