Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Expertise Sought

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 12:20 AM
dlb
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Expertise Sought

With a 964 and 997 TT currently hibernating my mind has had time to wander. Which is never a good thing. To that end I am now looking at 997 GT3 or GT3 RS. Currently in that info gathering phase which I actually really enjoy. Certainly the chase is thrilling.

I took a look today at a 2010, GT3, black on black. Car only has 8k miles, however I'm a little sceptical about how it accured those miles. Here's where I need some guidance -

The option lists quotes PCCB but the first thing I noticed is that it has the yellow calipers but with STEEL rotors. Why the switch? Maybe CCB's were damaged and the cost to replace was avoided?

Secondly, the car doesn't have its OEM spoiler, but it sporting a super aggressive RS style wing. Again, a track mod perhaps?

Finally, any suggestions on ball park cost. They have it up at 145k which is absolutely crazy money in my opinion.

Any feedback very welcomed.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2016, 12:22 AM
dlb
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I should add the car is at a dealership, hence that crazy price.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:28 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Steel brakes means pccb removed most often done for track use. 140 is crazy run away.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:13 AM
DYSL
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Selfishly I would love to see a 145k number. Not to say it won't get there one day.

Yes steel rotors on factory PCCB's are a clear sign of a swap for track use. Odd why they didn't include the OE PCCB rotors.

I would personally refrain from buying a GT3 or any car for that matter that did not include all the OEM parts.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:01 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Steel brakes means pccb removed most often done for track use. 140 is crazy run away.
this. 140k is robbery. i'd get a 991 GT3 at that price point.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:55 PM
Sk8erpope
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dlb
They have it up at 145k which is absolutely crazy money in my opinion.

Thanks
I think that's 45k to much, especially when the car isn't coming with it's original parts like rear wing and PCCB rotors. So all that is almost a clear sign, that the car was only used for the track.

I would prefer a stock car with 20-30k miles which was just sometimes used on the track instead a 8k miles car which made all his miles on the track. Just my opinion
Old 12-21-2016, 03:29 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

i guess because i track, i don't really care if the car has been tracked. it all hinges on the DME report...

and clutch life will need to be ascertained.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:41 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 1,075 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...s-tx-area.html
Old 12-22-2016, 09:59 AM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts

The lack of an OEM spoiler would concern me. Might have backed into a tire wall at some point in its life (speculation I know) however when that happens the spoiler is one of the first things to break. The OEM part is more costly than aftermarket cup type. If that is the case offer less if the DME checks out and buy the OEM part.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:16 AM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

The DME should have hours run and average speed, that will tell you a lot about the usage. Having just completed the "search" 5 months ago, I agree you need ALL the stock parts if your buying a low mileage car at a premium price. The guys at Merit Partners have a ton of info and contacts on cars that are not publicly "for sale". I used them at the end of my search to negotiate and get the transaction and shipment done and thought it was money very well spent.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:17 AM
FruitFly
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dlb
I took a look today at a 2010, GT3, black on black. Car only has 8k miles, however I'm a little sceptical about how it accured those miles. Here's where I need some guidance -

The option lists quotes PCCB but the first thing I noticed is that it has the yellow calipers but with STEEL rotors. Why the switch? Maybe CCB's were damaged and the cost to replace was avoided?

Secondly, the car doesn't have its OEM spoiler, but it sporting a super aggressive RS style wing. Again, a track mod perhaps?

Finally, any suggestions on ball park cost. They have it up at 145k which is absolutely crazy money in my opinion.

Thanks
sounds a lot like the track car I bought, but I have all the OEM bits and didn't pay anywhere close to 145k. You should be able to get the car for around 100k'ish depending on mileage, wear and care.

PCCB's are in boxes and steel on the car for the track, same with the OEM wing and seats are in bubble wrap.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...l#post13754775

Quick Reply: Expertise Sought