Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Coolant line failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 04:19 PM
ti-jean
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
had a 996 fail at the track this weekend. unsure of exact issue as i think his lines had been pinned...
Originally Posted by Spyerx
yeah i think it was towards end of session, i'd come in a lap or 2 early so I missed it luckily. i've hit coolant a couple times, luckily at slow speeds, and it's not pleasant. I know the owner of the car casually from the club, i think he's on here but will let him discuss it. Again, pretty sure he was pinned so not sure what happened. He's a really good/fast driver.
Yes it was me... I'm beyond pissed and upset about this. Ran the car with water/water wetter for >2yrs until I finally had the lines pinned last year. I switched to coolant just last month thinking I'm fine...

Terrible week-end for me and terrible start for everyone else. The first 2 sessions of the advanced group got red flagged. Second session was because of my coolant pipes failure. I felt really bad so offered to go out there to help cleanup, brutal work!

Car is being checked now, I'll report back once I get more details. But yes lines were pinned so should not have happened!
Old 10-20-2016, 09:17 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

:-(
Really sorry to hear this. Please do let us know what it ends up being.
No harm done to anyone and I don't think cleanup took too long.
Btw I still have WW in my car....
Check pm
Old 10-21-2016, 01:27 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to hear that Ti-Jean I'm glad you and others around you only lost some track time.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:39 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ti-jean
Yes it was me... I'm beyond pissed and upset about this. Ran the car with water/water wetter for >2yrs until I finally had the lines pinned last year. I switched to coolant just last month thinking I'm fine...

Terrible week-end for me and terrible start for everyone else. The first 2 sessions of the advanced group got red flagged. Second session was because of my coolant pipes failure. I felt really bad so offered to go out there to help cleanup, brutal work!

Car is being checked now, I'll report back once I get more details. But yes lines were pinned so should not have happened!
yes i'd like to hear what happened.

was leaning pinning....but maybe i should give welded another look.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:38 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ti-jean

Sure it wasn't a main coolant hose? I've seen those split right down the middle from age. After seeing that a couple of times I replace mine every 2 years as preventative measure to insure that's not a weak point on my car.

That one would have been pretty obvious though, where was the coolant coming from? Were the lines under the oil cooler pinned?
Old 10-21-2016, 03:06 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Aside from pinning or welding the lines, has anyone ever looked into stainless steel lines (I know these would have to be custom made)
Old 10-22-2016, 06:55 PM
ti-jean
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanted to report back in regards to my failure. It turned out the line that failed was not pinned, so nothing to do about pinning not working or anything like that. Now what keeps ringing in my head is why that line was not pinned. I'm told that line goes into the oil cooler. I'm no mechanic so just reporting. Engine was dropped and inspected to see if any other lines were missed and there was one other... was pulled out by ~1/8" so would have failed eventually as well.

Here's my thread on the 996 gt3 subsection with pictures.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...-on-track.html

Quick Reply: Coolant line failure