Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Street pad recs: Hawk HP+?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 09:16 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Street pad recs: Hawk HP+?

Did a review of the forum, didn't see much review of this pad or any street pad.

Due to the prices of pagids and PF, I would prefer to swap them in only for track days. Thusly I am looking for a cost effectively (ie cheaper) option over stock gt3 pads. I've used Hawk HP+ pads on my past B8 S4 on the street with no issues.

I saw a few posts on the 996 GT3 forum on hawk pads, but just wondering if any of you have tried, and what your experiences were.

Right now, I'm going to go with centrix rear rotors and girodisc fronts. (Possibly also PF 2-pieces). I understand that one is drilled and the other slotted, but im not too hung up on the asymmetry as the wheels hides them well enough.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by chillindrdude; 09-09-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:37 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I'd see if they have an HPS pad for your application not HP+

HP+ is a horrible pad in my opinion. Not a great street pad because it still generates a ton of dust and even noise that a street pad shouldn't generate, yet still won't stand up to the heat of track abuse and falls flat there. Ran a set of HP+ on a couple different cars back in the day and could never find a fit for them.

HPS is the one to have for the street. Ran these for years on my M3 and loved them as a street pad.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:49 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 56 Posts

+1 on the HPS, the best street pad I've ever used on a Porsche.

Very low dusting and easy on the rotors. I will install a set on my GT3 soon.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:20 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Don't get hp+ for street car too aggressive and squeals.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:11 PM
tgil
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I ran Cool Carbon (combination street/track spec) pads on my 03 C4S for street and some DE events.
As CC stated, they did not make any noise, produced minimal dust, and worked well for me and definitely more bite upon intial braking than stock.
I installed them myself and were a perfect fit, and tried them after doing some research on pads and prices.
Hope it helps.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:36 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

hawk hp+ used to be a great pad years ago when the options were limited. it's okay on track if your car is light, sub 2800lb or so with driver. I've used it on my E46 m3 and it melted on track and as stated dusts a lot on street and squeals. HPS is good. hawk now has a new HP street/track pad that i've not used.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:28 AM
Alex@PE
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HP+ is a bit aggressive for the street and can get really dusty/noisy. Personally, I'd shy away from these for street application.

Amidst the Hawk product line, the HPS is probably the most suitable option, but I do feel like they lack a bit in performance versus stock. Although they dust less, I found that the cold/hot initial bite suffered quite a bit.

Race Technologies makes a great street pad called the TS20. It's low dust, long lasting, strong initial bite street pad that could even be tracked if your heart desired. Unfortunately, it's not the cheapest option on the market, but hopefully it's longer lifespan and superior performance make up for it.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:10 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 564 Likes on 348 Posts

PFC's last forever on the street, although crazy noisy and harder on discs then OEM...OEM/TRW is the best street option IMO
I've been through a number of options, and ran PFC's full time for a long while but got tired of the noise(drive a lot of street km's) = PFC track, OEM street now
Old 09-20-2016, 11:56 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,833 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I'm going to throw a shout out for the race technologies TS20 (I use their RE10 race pad also on track)

on both my 964 and RS I have full sets of both these pads. I put the TS20 back on the 964 for now and ran the car up in the canyons on Sunday.

I cannot believe how little dust there is on the wheels. the RE10 would have coated them.

TS20 are really good on the street, NO noise, nice initial grab and no fade at all on the street. i've used them on track before and they don't fade, but don't grab as hard when HOT as the RE10 (which are excellent pads).

Anyway, you can get them from any dealer that sells Brembo. Very happy with these.

Quick Reply: Street pad recs: Hawk HP+?