15,000 mile maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 01:28 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 15,000 mile maintenance

Maintenance on the 07 RS
I've mainly been doing Oil Changes on the car. I cannot recall what other maintenance I've done on the car outside of that. Being that the car is creeping up on 9yrs old I wanted to poll the group on what should be done now based on age and considering the milage.

Car is only used for Street and spirited driving. Race Car takes all the track driving.
Plugs? Coolant Flush, etc...

TIA
Old 07-22-2016, 01:40 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 290 Posts

Brake fluid and engine oil should be annual if street only.
-spark plugs
-fuel filter
-gear oil
-v belt
-air filter
-cabin filter
-coolant
-tpms if important to you

Some of the above have 24k, 48k, or 96k intervals but you will feel better having it all done even at 15k miles.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:03 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,090 Posts

If it's my car and not been done: all fluids (oil, trans, brake, coolant, check ps), belt, cabin, air filters, plugs, check coils, inspection for things like the belt rollers, the wheel bearings, cv boots, ball joint play, etc.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
Maintenance on the 07 RS
I've mainly been doing Oil Changes on the car. I cannot recall what other maintenance I've done on the car outside of that. Being that the car is creeping up on 9yrs old I wanted to poll the group on what should be done now based on age and considering the milage.

Car is only used for Street and spirited driving. Race Car takes all the track driving.
Plugs? Coolant Flush, etc...

TIA
Whatever is due on miles or time.

Plugs probably are due on time.

Brake/clutch fluid flush and bleed every 2 years.

Is the engine air filter ok?

Don't forget the cabin air filter, too. This can develop a foul odor after a time.

Does the car have a servicable fuel filter?

Coolant drain/refill is a good idea. I like to replace the coolant every 4 to 5 years. No need for a "flush", though. Just a drain and a refill with fresh coolant.

A transmission/diff fluid change is a bit premature at 15K miles and there is no time component to replacing this fluid but up to you if you want to have this done. It is not that expensive a service to have done -- I always have this done at the dealer.

The car's suspension can settle over time and miles (mainly miles). If the tire wear is uneven consider when you replace the tires to have a proper alignment done.

Are the radiator ducts free of trash? If not then have the bumper cover removed and the trash cleaned out. This is not a 15K mile job but a job that gets whenever the build up gets bad enough. I have "standing orders" with my techs at the dealer when either one of my cars is in for any service the tech is to blow the accumulated trash out of the radiator ducts or if he feels it warranted to remove the bumper cover and clean the ducts out.

Be sure the body water drains are all free of trash build up too. Like keeping the radiator ducts free of trash build up this is a every so often check/job not an every 15K mile job.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:08 AM
pbu
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd probably also do the water pump as a preventative measure.

Quick Reply: 15,000 mile maintenance